Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adriennemb2

Little lime hydrangeas

adriennemb2
12 years ago

I'm in love with this handsome guy. Where has he been hiding all my life?

I'm concerned mostly about its sun tolerance - at least until the trees get more mature. And its water needs, once the shrub has established.

What has your experience been with the little lime hydrangea?

Too bad he's also not tall, dark and rich too - and interested in bipeds...

Comments (10)

• Annie
    12 years ago

I am interested...but, can you post a pic?
    I wanna see your "dream guy"!

~Annie

• adriennemb2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is it just a northern thing, Annie? I've been seeing (and drooling over) hydrangeas everywhere lately but I love the size and colours of this one particularly.
    I feel the same way about cranberries too. Hated them as a child, can't get enough of them now...

• Annie
    12 years ago

Beautiful greens! Does it stay little like that? Your "Blackie" potato vine goes really well with it too.

I think it has to do with age, not a northern thing. :)
    I used to laugh at the little old ladies and their lust over roses. Now that I am one of those little old ladies, I completely understand the zeal of growing roses. Can't get enough roses! (he he he)

• newbiehavinfun
    12 years ago

Well, if it's just like Limelight it will take quite a bit of sun. I think the paniculatas take more sun than the macrophyllas. I have my Limelights in pretty much full sun in zone 7 with only some old soakerhoses giving them water. They have very shallow, wide roots so I don't know how they would compete with other shrubs; I have mine with perennials.

• natal
    12 years ago

Newbie, I bought one today. Was planning on putting it in a bed that only gets a couple hours of morning sun. Should I rethink that? I know our sun exposure is more intense down here, but how much is too much for Little Lime?

• natal
    12 years ago

Did a little research before I transplanted Little Lime and even down here sun is recommended. We'll see how he fairs next July and August.

• adriennemb2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I made a space for the little guy where he'll end up with 6-7 hours of sun/day. We should compare notes next year, natal.

• natal
    12 years ago

We'll definitely have to compare notes. I had asked about planting Little Lime on the Hydrangea forum and Luis (the apparent resident expert) seemed to think shade was a better idea. When I checked with LSU's Ag Center and a local plant expert both said sun. So sun it is. I told Luis I'd try to remember to report back next summer.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I too would like to use it in an area with primarily shade; but some hydrangeas haven't done well there. Even my Annabelle I had to reposition several times to find the right sun exposure.

• gardenbug
    11 years ago

I am in zone 8b, BC
    Here is a pic of my Little Lime that I took just last month, now she is beginning to turn pink. I love this little plant.

Sponsored