Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downy Mildew on Impatients - Serious

Posted by shymilfromchi (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 18:45

I heard a radio program this morning (Mike Nowak WCPT) about how the entire impatients walleriana crop is being wiped out by downy mildew that seems to be caused by the erratic weather we've experienced lately. It is very serious. If you see the symptoms described on his website, ("Mike Nowak Show" than go to the "This Weeks Show" button on the left side of the page) light gray fuzz on the UNDERSIDES of the leaves and deterioration of the plant, he says to immediately carefully pull the plant(s) and put it in a plastic bag - do not carry it over your garden. Try not to let it get into the soil more than absolutely necessary as it infects the soil and stays there. Put it into the municipal garbage, never your compost.

Mikes guest describes how the wind can blow the disease many miles, so it is impossible to control it. It is showing up in much of the country.

Downy mildew is different than powdery mildew, which is not as serious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downy Mildew on Impatients - Serious

Thanks for posting this...I had breifly heard something was going on with them but couldn't remeber what it was called. All I know is that every plant I planted (10 flats) have all died, except for two pots on my porch. I looked up what the affected plants looked like and thats what I have alright. Thanks again for the info...

o

It's been around for a number of years and getting worse. Although my own seed started plants have not yet been affected, they could be.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: From the annuals forum

o

There's a lot more information available. Suggest googling IMPATIENS DOWNY MILDEW. You'll find other Gardenweb threads there, plus University studies and more. Very important to remove/bag all plants that have been affected - including the dropped leaves and stems.

In mourning for now. They will find a cure, but maybe not for several years. Growers are taking extraordinary measures to prevent this.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here