Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerchild5

another name for tuscan lavender?

flowerchild5
13 years ago

I have a friend who says she has tuscan lavender. I've searched and searched the internet looking for this variety and can't find it. does anyone know this lavender by another name? i'm going to do about 300 cuttings of this, it's not the prettiest lavender but very very hardy. gets about 3feet tall. light lavender flowers kinda like provance. gray/green foliage.

thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (4)

• rosewitch
    13 years ago

I have never heard of Tuscan lavender and have been growing various lavenders for years. The only lavenders that have proved winter hardy here in my zone 7/8 have been Arp and Grosso Lavender. I have some that are 7 years old and I am finally replacing them this year as the woody parts are so bad and no amount of pruning is going to help.

Grosso is hardy to Zone 5 and gets to about 2 ft. and Arp may get to about 3 to 4 ft. I find both of these very fragrant and quite nice plants even when not in bloom.

I would be interested in hearing more about your friends Tuscan Lavender. I couldn't miss an opportunity to add another kind of lavender to the garden. Hopefully someone else here will have more info.
    Kat

• rosewitch
    13 years ago

I have definitely not had enough caffeine this morning!

Arp is a rosemary plant not lavender! I do have both of them growing in the same bed; but they are not the same plant.

That's what I get for trying to post after getting up at the crack of dawn on my day off and not getting enough tea into me!

• flowerchild5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

im still waiting for my coffee to perk!! i read that and thought we have arp rosemary at work. Hidcote and otto quast do pretty good here, im the willamette valley in Oregon and most years everything survives. I have about 8 differant varieties of lavander and they have all done okay. lost just a few this last year when it got down to 3degrees. 3 to 10 degrees for a week. which is not normal here.then it rained and rained. lost almost all my dahlias. I think someone just called it tuscan lavender and it's actually something else. If i find out i will post it.

• nacblum
    3 years ago

Tuscan Lavender is a trade marked Lavandula angustifolia brought to the pacific northwest in 1988 from the Tuscan region of Italy. Cuttings were brought and the plant was identified as an angustifolia by the head of the Center for Urban Horticulture at the University of Washington and Tuscan was added as the cultivar name. It was propagated by cuttings and sold at the Sawmill Ballroom Lavender Farm in Eugene, Oregon from 1992-2005. It is a very hardy variety and stays grey green year round if correctly pruned. It is an excellent landscape plant as well as very fragrant and used for essential oil and other lavender products. If you still have this plant keep propagating it and using it as it is one of the best.

Sponsored