Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merilia

Dear Hosenemesis...

Merilia
12 years ago

I'm a sucker for gardens with a strong use of color, and I adore what both you and your mother have done. When I decided I'd go with a mostly white/pink/purple palette in the back yard, I was inspired in no small part by the photos you posted of your mother's garden.

I found an article about iris color schemes, and that second photo on the page looks awfully familiar. Was that taken in your mother's garden?

Here is a link that might be useful: Irises in the Garden: Planting with a Dominant Color

Comments (8)

• Merilia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...hang on, that "In a California garden" part towards the bottom is your garden, isn't it?

Ok please don't think I am a stalker! I have been trying to figure out what it is I like or don't like about different gardens, and yours is one of those that makes the design look effortless.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Wow! Those are some nice photos. Is "Brenda" aka Gottagarden? I recognize the Samurai Warrior and Barberry combo. I would love to just travel the country and visit GW Cottage Gardener's gardens!! There are so many beautiful pictures posted on this forum.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Wow!!! I just planted my first TB irises in a bunch of containers- those pics are incredible! Now I wish Id thought more carefully about companion planting them.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

The color combos are great. I love to do this also, but not all the flowers bloom at the same time here like in California. :( Walkers Low is an excellent plant to tuck around and below other blooms, the blue and silver gray colors compliment so many others. How she planted it with her blue/white iris is wonderful.

• natal
    12 years ago

Loved this comment: Some of the most beautiful and surprising uses of irises, however, show a cheerful disregard for color coordination. The same could be said for many other flowers.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

hey guys - yes, gottagarden is Brenda and hosenemesis asked about using my photos, so I said "sure". Nice to hear your compliments - iris season seems so far away. Just starting to cut back and find my iris buried under the overgrowth of late summer. No matter, they are so tough you can't harm them with neglect.

got some new ones to try this year, so looking forward to some new blooms!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Yes! That's my mom's garden, my garden, and Gottagarden's garden. That was fun to type.

Brenda's iris photos inspired the blog. The editor of the AIS publication "Irises" is republishing that blog in the glossy magazine sometime soon. Brenda's photos caught his eye.

I'm so flattered, Merilia. Thank you for your kind words about our gardens. You can stalk me anytime :D

Renee

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Renee and Brenda, I think you have more stalkers than you think!! Your photos are some serious eye candy for us. Beautiful job on the blog.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio