Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Slightly OT...finally painting house

mary_lu_gw
13 years ago

Thought some of you might like to see what we are "attempting" to do with our home. The front porch is really a challenge. I posted on the Home Decorating form as I was looking for input on color placement, to either confirm what I was doing or give advice to change. Be warned...there are lots of pictures! So if any of you want to chime in, your thoughts are more than welcome! See link below.

To stay garden related, you can see some of the sad looking beds around the house. Fall is fast approaching and I have pretty much abandoned the gardens in "favor" (?) of painting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating Post

Comments (9)

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guess not...letting this drop off.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Mary lu, I had a look at what you've been doing, it looks FABULOUS, love your choice of colors.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Mary lu - I missed this! Your house is gorgeous, and no 'wanna be'. It is a painted lady. I had thought that before I got to that part of the post! Very cool. I say your instincts are bang on!

Nancy.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annette and Nancy, thanks for taking a look. It really has been/is a struggle to try and get the right colors, in the right place. Weather permitting we will be painting next week as DH took vacation to do his most favorite thing(not)....paint! Hopefully will get a lot done.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

The colours look gorgeous. They are a very good match for a Victorian house from that period. It is not too ornate or busy at all!!!!!! Tell your DD to research Victorians! LOL!

• chloe92us
    13 years ago

Sorry, I made my comments on the other thread! LOVE what you're doing! Gorgeous house!

• Eduarda
    13 years ago

Mary Lu, you know I love your house and I think the colors you've selected are absolutely beautiful and in keeping with the spirit of the place. I can't really give an informed opinion about the proportions of the different colors, since I'm not used to the type of painting American houses seem to have, but whatever the proportion you decide upon I think will be lovely. Plus I love "Grandma Green" :-)

Thank you for sharing this labor of love with us.
    Eduarda

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

Mary Lu - Sorry I took so long to take a look at this thread! I really love where you are going with this project, tho I'm sure I'd be scratching my own head about the porch colors.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

krycek 1984, thanks! although I'm not sure about the Victorian. I do believe that when she was converted from a school to a home, the intent was to give her some of the embellishments of a victorian. The bay and front porch do point in that direction.

chloe92su, we are hard at work. Should have progress pictures later in the week. DH took vacation this week to paint.

Eduarda, yup, that "grandma green" again. Just love it and had to incorporate it. Wouldn't be right not to! So nice to see you popping in. Many of the old timers seem to be missing.

irene dsc, the head scratching continues, but getting less as we progress. Thank goodness...otherwise I might have been bald!

Will keep everyone posted on the progress.