Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Morning Glories this season

schoolhouse_gw
9 years ago

Anyone have major disappointment? I planted seed the last week of June and still have no blooms. The plants grew slowly and when they finally started to vine the leaves turned yellow and brown spotted. Now however they are lush and green - still no blooms or even healthy buds yet tho. Buds I do find are teeny and some have dried up.

I have grown MGs on the Eastern side of my house and porch off and on for years with no problems. I'm beginning to blame the seed. Of course I didn't save the empty packet so that I know which company to not purchase from next year.
And I notice the neighbor's MG vine on her mailbox was doing ok and even had some bloom (a pale pink, not Heavenly Blues), but this week the vine is a sickly yellow! I wonder what is going on for sure? We did have alot of rain this season but never knew that to hurt MG all that much.

Comments (23)

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

All my morning glories have been doing great and blooming like crazy but some of them aren't looking so great now because their leaves are yellowing/browning. I have pulled one vine out already. I wish I knew what caused this. My guess would be the southern heat.

• tndaisy
    9 years ago

I have long, healthy HB vines with not a bud on them. I have wondered about this too...

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Mine only just came into their own last week. It was very slow this year getting going for them.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    9 years ago

This is my first year growing them (heavenly blue), so I don't have much to compare to other than what I remember from my mother's MG vines growing up. I've had 2-3 blooms per day for the last few weeks (maybe at most 6 one day), which seems sparse and late. Got my first MG bloom the same day I got my first toad lily bloom. Had the yellowing leaves in some places as well, but most are green and lush at this point.

• ginnier
    9 years ago

Hubby called me one day and said "Christmas Tree"...I said HUH??? He said you gotta to come see the Christmas Tree. This was in August...Couldn't resist a picture...These had grown on a telephone pedestal out along a country road!

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

My morning glories Heavenly Blues were very late this year- I'm in N Ga- but they've been blooming that last week or two- but the dark purple color-& not the heavenly blue that I love. I wondered the same thing. It's a fluke usually if the seed pack actually turns out the heavenly blue color for me. I usually buy the seeds at Lowes. And Pray. Hehe

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Schoolhouse , sorry you had been having troubles with your morning glories ! I remember your pictures of them creeping into the windows ! So lovely . I have also heard they can be finicky , never tried them . But I remember seeing them in a old homes yard clinging to the chain link fence , and loving the abandoned look of the House with them !
    I wonder if there has been a scientific study regarding ones desire to grow an "easy to grow " plant and the said plant deciding to not grow for that particular person . ;) seems there is always someone who has beginners luck and then in the same area , no luck at all .

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ginnier, nice pic. Which makes me even more surprised about my neighbor's MGs failing. The vine appeared to be a mix of Grandpa Otts and a pink variety, and we all know how hardy and persistent Grandpa Otts are.

Well then perhaps I better resist the temptation to rip my HB vines down if some of you are just now getting blooms. I see Arlene you are from Ohio too so I'll wait a week or so more.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    9 years ago

schoolhouse, here is what my vines looked like yesterday evening, which was by far the most abundant flush of blooms for the season. I have my sincere doubts that it'll get much better than this at this point.

ginnier, love the Christmas tree!

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Show off !!!!! ;)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those blooms look great to me, too Arlene even tho they are sparse.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi ginnier
    Nice picture,..sure looks like a Christmas Tree.

Hi Arlene,
    Impressive is putting it mildly,..great height and very healthy looking,..i must try growing some next Summer.

Philip

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for the compliments, although I haven't seen nearly as many flowers at once before that moment or since, so possibly it is a bad year for the HB variety at least. schoolhouse, I hope your patience is rewarded. Not sure where you are in OH, but we've had a lot of rain here too in Cleveland and I'm not sure if planting the seeds in a well-draining spot may have helped them along (or maybe it was a bit of the beginner's luck lilyfinch alluded to - planning to try them in a different spot next year and see how it goes). The Grandpa Otts variety does seem to be running rampant in the neighborhood this year.

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

My morning Glories today ... Sigh

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Another view- I can only laugh at this point...

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Morning glories can make a wonderful display, as your pics indicate. Clean-up, however, is very messy (untangling all those twines from the support).

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I thought of you school house , when I passed this on a back road today . I hope they didn't notice me stealing a pic ! :)
    I love it! May have to try on my fence next year .

• User
    9 years ago

Oh that looks great!,..i was thinking of doing something similar then wondered if my Arch would withstand the weight it being a very old Arch,..still thinking.

Philip

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

That's killer !!!!

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

I cheated and bought a christmas tree of my own at homedepot. It was giant, a great price and I couldn't resist. It is taking off right now, while the seeds I put in the ground have yet to make an appearance due to the dry dry summer.

make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif

We are lucky in that they will usually make it through the winter here.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree lilyfinch! that is a great idea I will have to keep it in mind too.

Nice MGs ninkasi.

• granneeeeannie
    9 years ago

Here in Delaware also no blooms on Heavenly Blue morning glories until September! Dr. Ott bloomed earlier.

Every year I've tried to grow Heavenly Blue, buying seed each year from different vendors, but with very poor results. Perhaps the ground is too cold? I understand they really like warm ground to sprout.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My first fail was this year. Some years I buy MG plants from the nurseries. Never had much of a problem even tho I know MGs do not appreciate being transplanted. Maybe you could try that next year.

Sponsored