Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22262128

Glengarry September Blooms.

User
11 years ago

Hydrangea some pinks are almost finished but the blue Hydrangea are just coming to the fore,..captured 3rd Sept.

Comments (28)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calendula,..the same Butterfly,..captured 3rd Sept.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Aster have started blooming though just the single ones at present,..the clumps will begin in a few days.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aster,

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Foxglove.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Verbascum nigrum and Crocosmia.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lemon Hollyhock.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pink Hollyhock,..in fact all the pictures posted are of the 3rd of Sept

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This rose blooms at my back door.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Beautiful, glengarry! You are ahead of us as far as asters, it probably will be next month before mine come out. Still hot, around 100 Degrees, which will last well into September, but October is usually a beautiful month here in Texas. That will be when we get our second flush of roses that have been resting through the hot weather.

I ordered some Texas native (?) foxglove seed that looks exactly like what you showed. From October into November we plant seeds, move plants, plant new roses, etc. Fun month to garden after our brutal heat down here...

Take care!
    ogrose

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Such pretty color everywhere. You must enjoy your gardens very much.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ogrose,
    my Asters are only a nose ahead of yours as you will see in the picture below,..these are my main Aster,..Symphyotrictium novi-belgii,..and just starting to bloom today.

Oh boy you are still up in the 100's temperature wise,..while here its dropping,..today its down to 23C-72F,..its comfortable working the garden in that temperature.

I bet you are really looking forward to October,..milder weather and the bonus of your roses blooming,..interesting you ordering Foxgloves,..they really put on a good show and the following season you will find new colours seeing they cross breed.

Hope you have it all planned for the October-November gardening.

Philip.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Sandi,
    its a joy watching plants grow and bloom,..sometimes an entirely new bloom from crossing,..never a dull day in the garden,..the imagination can run riot,lol.

I am watching the Hydrangea changing from day to day,..it was from a cutting i took last year.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another plant grown from a cutting,..there are two of them now,..Erysimum linifolium,'Variegatum','Variegated Wallflower',..it has a beautiful scent.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

General view.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phygelius,'Candy Drops Cream'.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

General view.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A visitor.

• mytime
    11 years ago

Everything is beautiful...I love the colors of your wallflower.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mytime,
    that Wallflower never stops blooming,..it does so through all seasons,..even if it stopped in Winter the variegated leaf would be attractive enough.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oxalis debilis,'Shamrocks Pink'.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aster.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pieris japonica,'Andromeda',..starting to change to its red Autumn colour.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pinks in sunbeam.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Hi Glengarry, was looking at your pictures again, so beautiful! What are your winters like usually? Do you get a lot of freezing weather? Here in Texas, we go from 70 Degrees in January/February to freezing rain and snow a few days later, never know what to expect!

Just out of curiosity, are you retired, or just work on your garden when you can? I retired a little over a year ago, and it takes all of my time just to keep up with things at my age!

• jakkom
    11 years ago

Stunning...absolutely stunning!

It's so much fun to see your photos. Your variety of plants is very different from what I can get in California. Because we are a major agricultural state, there has to be a lot of testing before they'll let new varieties in. So despite the fact we have two of the major plant wholesalers in the US, we don't see most of the plants you have.

I have a variegated erysimum, for example, but the flowers on our variety are very different, not as big as yours and with no color variation available at all.

Thanks for posting - what a wonderful show!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ogrose,
    thank you for viewing my photographs,..i am always pleased when someone responds kindly.

Our winters here are described as being Mild,..Moist,.. and Changeable,..with abundant rainfall,..our coasts are warmed by the Gulf Stream and where i live its even more protected as i am in the Midlands,..the winter here tends to have a temperature of 40 to 50 F,..or 4 to 10 C,..so in all we have a lack of temperature extremes.

In 2010 we did have snow,..the worst on record,..you will get some idea from my video below.

Video===Sun and Snow.

Oh you asked was i retired,..yes indeed but a long time ago,..i retired when i was 48,..the plan was to do so at 50 but the opportunity arose and i took it,..that was 19 years ago,..lol,..you can calculate that.

The garden is just one step outside my sitting room so i tend to wander out there very often,..when not in the garden i am off on the Lake,..Lough Ree,..or the River Shannon,..isn't it great to be retired.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jkom51,
    delighted you liked those pictures,..and you also have a Variegated erysimum,..you are the only person i know has one,..and you say our bloom here is different than yours,..i nipped the tip off one i came across in a garden center and took it home,..i certainly has grown since and i have gave away several plants of it from cuttings,..i have a friend in Oregon USA,..whom i sent cuttings to,..they all died despite the various ways of keeping them moist and protected,..its the long journey,..all of nine days.

My California Poppies were grown from seeds sent from California,..Aquilegia seeds i purchased in Park City,..Utah,..and some also came from Indiana and Maine,..i have Clivia growing from seeds from Virginia,..it makes the plants all that more interesting.

Two toned Aster.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Thank you.

Sponsored