Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Fall Display (images)

mantis__oh
12 years ago

The anemones and the asters are providing a lot of color now.

The anemones have been blooming for some time.

Here is a close-up of the rose (Bressingham Glow).

And the white, Honorine Jobert.

Aster Purple Dome is just starting to be showy. This year, its foliage is quite good because of ample rain. Many times, the foliage gets brown at the bottom and ratty overall.

Liked by others too:

Another visitor today:

Celosia are getting big combs.

Comments (27)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Oh my! Those pics are colorful! I am so jealous of the Celosia! Cannot grow it to that size here....or at least I haven't been able to. Such a brilliant glow! TFS!! :)

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are celosia New Look that have self sown. They are taller and less consistent in form than the parent, but many of them have nice large combs.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

What a glorious fall. I have one baby white anemone, and I'm hoping it will take over out in the back 40 and someday look like yours.
    Renee

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Every time I see that celosia, I just want to pet it like a fuzzy pet ;) Those asters are fantastic! Really smothered in blooms :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Anemones are my favorite fall flower, I try to plant as many varieties as I can find. Asters? Never have luck, could only hope they would look as pretty as yours. Next year, I'm going to have to plant some celosia. Yours are so nice. At an herb fair this month, someone had the flower heads for sale - enormous! I never saw such large celosia. Thanks for posting.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some celosia heads from last October 15, so those this year have a ways to grow yet. From self-sown plants, you do not get consistency, but I find that these volunteers are more vigorous.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Oh but they are gorgeous! They look like bright red broccoli! Have you ever started them from seed yourself? :)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Ohhhhhhh......I am a truthful person and must come clean. I am SO envious of your lovely fall anemones Mantis!! I have 'Robustissima' going great in my shade garden, but my 'HJ' and a nice 'Max Vogel' died out a few years ago without doing much. After seeing your pics I am going to give them another try. Maybe mulch them like thyme2dig mentioned in another post. Do you mulch? Perhaps it is just z5 that they are iffy.

I've never tried Celosia, but want to now! Love the dark foliage on yours too. Do you remember what the original cultivar was? Nice to know they can re-seed on their own in the garden. Gotta' love reseeding annuals!

Loved your pics- thanks!
    CMK

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The anemones are extremely easy to grow; in fact, they tend to be invasive. I am less fond of Robustissima. The celosia I have never started from seed because I get hundreds of volunteers, but again, they aren't consistent; some are plumes, while others are big heads. All, though, seem to have the darker foliage of the original New Look (which must have crossed with something else); there are some variations in foliage color too.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

And all this time I've been messing around with Amaranthus with no luck! After seeing your beutiful Celosia I'll have to put that one on my list. WOW! Beautiful photos!

• Annie
    12 years ago

Stunning flowers!
    Absolutely gorgeous.

Anemones are among my Mom's favorite flower. She and Grannie grew them in Southern California when I was growing up, but I haven't EVEN seen them for sale here in Okie. Wonder why?

They are all just lovely, lovely, lovely.
    We have several native Asters here that are beautiful in rainy years - tall purples, blues, pinks and whites. This year, however, they burned slap up in late July long before they got to the bloom stage. :(

Now that the severe heat has ended here, I bought four Asters at the Feed store two weeks back. I got 2 Dragon and 2 Magic. They are blooming like all get out and are so lovely. I am so pleased.

I'm totally green with garden envy of all of you who got lots of rain and good temps this year.
    Thanks for sharing with us. Nice to see what a garden is supposed to look like!
    ~Annie

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful! Love the asters.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Oh, a feast for the eyes! Thank you so much, such a pleasure to actually see flowers blooming this time of year! We've literally burned up, but hope springs eternal, and I actually do have a few of the "Texas tough" blooming, but nothing like yours!

• Annie
    12 years ago

Beautiful image of the Monarch BTW.
    Hope she makes it to Mexico!
    :)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Beautiful blossoms and photos. Thanks for sharing your colorful fall garden.

My a. robustissima have been blooming for awhile but were pruned by the deer so only a few low blossoms remain. Two years ago I ws a. 'Margarete' which are blooming in pots now. They are a darker double pink. I hope they will be as lovely as your 'Bressingham Glow'. Also ws 'Whirlwind' which are supposed to be white but the buds are looking pink. So I either mislabeled the plants or the seeds I rec'd were mislabeled.

Many of my asters are in full bloom but Purple Dome has not yet opened. It, along with Alma Patchke, are late bloomers for me.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In regard to the anemones, I would say, give them a couple of years to get established, and they will really take off. Make sure you choose a partial shade site. Water if August/September are dry. The best source is a friend who has extra plants.

Thanks for your overgenerous comments on simple flowers. Here is a clearer picture of the anemone area, including leaves:

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Beautiful! That pink is really an eye-catcher. I sure hope mine grows! The white ones look like they float on air.
    Renee

• helenh
    12 years ago

Your flowers are beautiful. I love the pink anemone. My mother grew cockscomb. I should grow it next year in her memory.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

What beautiful pictures,those belong on a calendar.I've never seen such a beautiful display of anemones or celosias.Yours are fantastic.TFS.
    Kathi

• Annie
    12 years ago

I think the airy white ones set off the chubby pinks. Great gardening and thoughtful planting. It all looks so lovely.
    ~Annie

• vajeff
    12 years ago

Wow. I'm in awe over your celosia! Mine with the brain-like blooms never ever grow that tall. They usually grow to about 6in and very compact... except for a couple that I sowed this year from last year's seed, but those only reached about 1ft.

I like the lack of consistency with celosia. This year was full of surprise volunteers. One had deep magenta blooms and purple-green foliage and grew to 4ft before wind knocked it over. It might be a volunteer from a "Kimono Mix" plant... but it has the dark foliage and looks somewhat like a plumosa crossed with either a spicata or caracas, and it's the only one of its kind to pop up. Odd. Definitely saving those seeds!

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Volunteers celosia seedlings are not consistent. One would probably be better off with the original variety. I saw a nice planting of New Look the other day. Here is a picture I took today of my self-sown ones; things are starting to fall over.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, those anemones are gorgeous! Gonna get me that pink one.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Prettypetal,
    I see you are in Georgia. I'd be happy to share mine - have plenty.
    ~Natalie

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Those anemones are gorgeous!!
    kay

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Hi Natalie, That sounds super. Do you have the pink one? I have had the white one and now have a purple one. Don't have a clue what happened to the white one. Send me an email and we can talk about it more. Thanks again, Judy

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Prettypetals, I just sent you e-mail via Gardenweb. Sometimes they do not go thru, so please let me know if you got it.
    Thanks!