Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbeg0508

Hollyhock Mystery

jbeg0508
13 years ago

I ordered 12 double apricot hollyhock plants in the late spring from Annie's Annuals. http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/h/hollyhock_ca.htm

They arrived quickly, looked small and healthy with no rust visible and I transplanted them into clay "soil" (pH 5.1 - new construction, 8 months old house and the sod and soil are horrible) with organic planting mix. I made sure to really break up the clay, really mix in the planting mix and I dug a deeper and wider hole than needed to make sure they wouldn't struggle to root well. I mulched and have kept them adequately watered even with the long, ultra hot and dry summer we've had in Northern VA.

All 12 look to be maybe an inch taller now than they were when they were transplanted back in late May. They all look green and healthy, a couple have some rust spots but aside from that they look almost identical to when I planted them months ago. There was one exception, one of the plants BLOOMED which shocked the heck out of me since it is only about a foot tall and the bloom was a double pale yellow, not the apricot that I ordered and I've never had a hollyhock bloom the first year.

I have no idea what to think. I am hoping they pop back up next year and decide to grow to their normal height and bloom. I have even resorted to fertilizing with Miracle Gro a few times over the summer to see if lack of nutrients was a problem but I saw zero change.

Help! I've grown hollyhocks in various locations, various states and zones and I've never had this happen. My last house in the midwest, I transplanted two small hollyhocks directly into the clay soil (also a new house) and gave them zero attention and they shot up to about 7 feet and bloomed beautifully the second year. I've babied these hollyhocks more than I've ever bothered to do in the past and seen zero growth.

Comments (6)

Sponsored