Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Bush Clover and other color...

mary_lu_gw
11 years ago

Took a couple photos of the bush clover this morning. I would say it is in full bloom now. More to come but some are already dropping. The other pictures are from a drive we took today. It was simply a beautiful fall day.

Hope you enjoy!

Comments (11)

• juliebw
    11 years ago

Just lovely. I think the partial botanical name is lespedeza. I have some cascading onto my driveway, not nearly as big.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

juliebw, you are correct. This particular one is Lespedeza Pink Fountain. There are 2 bushes planted fairly close together. I planted them in 2004 I think.

• User
    11 years ago

WOW....ML...so beautiful. No color here in AL yet. Can still use the swimming pool :) Rain today and tomorrow and then supposed to get down to 59 at night but still warm and sunny in the days. We are having an extended Summer I am thinking. Thanks for sharing your lovely home c

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, I'm happy to say I finally found a bush clover, I planted 'Gibraltar' a couple of weeks ago, after seeing yours I just had to have one. Marylu, the fall color in your neck of the woods is breathtakingly beautiful.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

My Bush Clover really flopped over this year. I tried some supports but it out grew them. I think it's partially my fault for planting it in front of a privet hedge where it only gets morning and mid-day sun. And it has to reach out for that. Didn't get very tall at all, just wide and floppy.

Great photos Mary Lu.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Very beautiful! Love the fall colors also, yep still swimming weather here as well.

Rena'

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

ML, that shrub is gorgeous! It's interesting because mine is much further ahead, really going way out of bloom by now, yet the fall foliage on the maples, etc. are so far behind you. Looks like you're getting some spectacular fall foliage color this fall. What a great time of year!

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

WOW! Fall is sooo beautiful! That clover bush looks great beside your house!

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

trailrunner, we are having "Indian summer" I think. The nights get down into the 40's and upper 30's but the days have been in the upper 60's to mid 70's for the past week. This coming week is supposed to be about the same with cooling toward the end of the week. We have had several light frosts but not enough to kill anything yet.

Annette, oh I hope your Gibraltar does well! I love it for fall bloom when everything else is pretty much done. I was surprised it did as well as it did this year. We are so dry and I hardly watered it at all.

schoolhouse, I think your bush will be fine. It is floppy when young. I think mine tends to be a little less with 2 planted fairly close together. Maybe they hold each other up?? Mine are planted on the east side of the house so they too only get morning and mid-day sun. How old is your bush? Perhaps it will get less floppy as it ages.

Rena, thank you. Nope, no swimming weather here! More like sweatshirt weather instead.

thyme2dig, ironically everything has been about 3 weeks ahead of schedule this year, but not the bush clover. It was actually about 2 weeks behind when it started to bloom. Normally mine would be almost done too. We live in what is called the "driftless" area of southwest Wisconsin, where the glaciers did not reach. With all the bluffs and ridges along the Mississippi River in both Wisconsin and Iowa, the fall color is spectacular. It is almost impossible to find a hotel room on weekends anywhere in the surrounding area as many people drive to this part of the state to view the fall color.

calamity j, thanks. I was not sure when I planted it how it would do. I had never seen one, but thought I would take a chance and try to grow it. Guess I got lucky? It does seem to like the spot where I planted it.

• Cher
    11 years ago

Your Bush Clover is beautiful. Never see that for sale here. The other photos are gorgeous.
    Cher

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

So much brilliant fall color already. Great to have a bush in full bloom so late. Where are you located?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction