Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remember the daff bulbs I planted the other day?

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 20:57

I was mowing and came upon the area where I had planted them. A skunk had gone through and dug up every bulb one by one and tossed them aside! Didn't even nibble them. This is the first time I've ever had critter trouble with daffs. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remember the daff bulbs I planted the other day?

Customer had that her cats. Had to spray area with cat begone.-it works on skunks and raccoons also.

o

Would you believe I replanted them and today I walked down there and they were dug up and laying on the ground again??? I think I'll just gather them together and wait awhile before I plant them again.

Koszta, I might end up having to resort to one of your solutions.

o

It is frustrating to see one's hard work undone. To have to plant three times must be maddening.I lay chicken wire over newly planted bulbs to keep squirrels out then remove it before the ground freezes. Even a week or so allows the ground to settle and is less attractive to digging critters.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:08

o

I have a problem with voles, so I use gravel in the bottom of the holes. In a small space, using metal edging (dig out a small trench to put it in deep) and gravel paths help, but they can still come up out of the ground and scurry across!

Cameron

o

Wonbyherwits- Did you say voles ? They are terrorizing my garden. Thanks for the advice !

o

Schoolhouse : this makes me mad about the skunk. Deer are in the skunk caragory of nuisance critters. They ate every single bloom off my confederate rose tree. At least the Skunkhead didn't consume your bulbs ! Thank you so much for your wonderful reply in re the Ageratum . :)

o

Schoolhouse : this makes me mad about the skunk. Deer are in the skunk caragory of nuisance critters. They ate every single bloom off my confederate rose tree. At least the Skunkhead didn't consume your bulbs ! Thank you so much for your wonderful reply in re the Ageratum . :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here