Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nulty

August 2014 In The Garden.

nulty
9 years ago

August is our first month of Autumn but to look at the garden it doesn't look like Autumn in fact very little difference from July except for some new blooms like Cosmos and new Hollyhocks and lots of Lilies,..the video is long so ensure you have a mug of Coffee in hand.

Video===August In The Garden.

Comments (20)

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hollyhocks.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hollyhocks.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Calendula.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tigridia pavonia.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilium,Rialto.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilium,Dimension.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mixed Lilies.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rose,"Ice Cream".

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The shade corner.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

General View.

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Phillip, that is beautiful beyond words. I enjoyed your river video very much, and look forward to seeing the new one in the morning.

Those red hollyhocks are so pretty, they remind me of English roses.

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Just watched the video, so lovely! I enjoyed the roses, and just bought 2 David Austin English roses that are supposed to do well in the heat. Your double hollyhocks look very similar.

Now, off to do some gardening this morning before it gets too hot..

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dusti,
    Very pleased to see you viewed The River Video,..i live approx 200 yards from the river Shannon very peaceful location.

Yes those double Hollyhocks have a rose like appearance and also look like Crepe Paper,..sadly Hollyhocks need a lot of attention here with Rust,..your David Austin Roses are pretty robust and should do well for you,..i have one named Korresia Rose,..pictured below,..stands heat and cold.

Thank you for viewing the August Video,..it was long and had 251 pictures,..must strive to keep videos shorter.

Don't over work in the garden,..its hard to stop when you really get stuck in plus the heat,..Thursday we had 33C-94F,..too warm to remain for long in the garden but Friday it was cooler at 23C-74F,..and this is supposed to be Autumn.

Philip

Korresia Rose,'David Austin'.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

As usual your gardens are wonderful,everything so pretty and lush.Your hollyhocks always look so healthy,what is your secret?? Mine always get rust,so i kinda gave up on them,love the flowers,hate the rust!!
    Kathi

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kathi,
    Sadly rust and Hollyhocks go together,..i had tried everything and found that the newly grown Hollyhocks are easier to keep rust free than the older established ones so each year i dispose of the old ones which i hate doing,..i still spray my Hollyhocks with a mix of Neem Oil,..Liquid Soap and water,..it does help,..in fact i spray everything with the Neem Oil mix,..leaves on roses turn out nice and healthy,..1 Table Spoon of Neem Oil and 1 Table Spoon of Liquid Soap in a pint of water.

You may laugh at this and i am sure other members will also do so but i also use a spray of one part milk to three parts water i guarantee it will keep away Mildew from roses and New York Asters,..but not to spray on a sunny day.

Philip

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Hi Phillip, thanks for showing that pretty David Austin rose! I bought Darcey Bussell and Mary Rose, when they bloom, will happily post a picture.

I looked on the map for the location of the river Shannon, it's quite a large river, you are very lucky to live where you do.

Guess what, it's raining this morning, so no heat in store. I worked in the garden yesterday, and it was not fun. You are right, it is hard to stop when you only have to do a few more things, and that turns into an hour or more. Today, would be perfect to work in the garden, but it's time for my other job..

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dusti,
    Looking forward to seeing both of your new David Austin Roses when they are in bloom they are a very good line of roses and should do well for you,..roses are special,..i have a soft spot for all of them.

Yes the River Shannon is our longest river 224 miles long if my memory is correct and as i mentioned i am only about 200 yards from it,..close enough to hear the Swans and Terns,..upriver from here is Lough Ree,..fairly big as well and with many Islands to explore.

So you had rain i take it that was a welcome arrival,..for your plants at least,..no rain here since last Thursday which is a bonus as i managed 5 days mucking about in the garden,..changing plants from one area to another,..Delphiniums were cut back to the soil about a month ago to allow Cosmos to grow but some of the Delphiniums are now 3 Ft high and should bloom again,..Foxgloves and Hollyhocks seeds for next summer have now turned from seedlings to plants approx 1 Ft high,..they will survive the Winter.

Its great fun thinking about what needs to be done but the physical side lets you know if you took on too much lol,..aches go with gardening.

Philip

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Oh ! Philip !! Loved your video. Really need to try the neem oil- you have foxgloves blooming again ? Or are they still going from the spring ? Is the fuscia planted in the ground ? Roses look amazing !!!! Love the music too. Very lovely as always ! Thanks for posting.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cenepk,
    Delighted you viewed the video and you liked it,..thank you,..yes that Neem Oil is a wonderful help in the garden and if you spray it often enough then it will prevent the bugs that eat your plants from doing so,..they don't like the taste of it and some will die off,..it doesn't harm Bees or Butterflies.

Those Foxgloves appeared in early August from seeds dropped last year,..there are many Foxgloves about 12 inches high just now growing from seeds i sowed earlier this year and if the weather is kind some will bloom,..its a crazy climate here.

That Fuchsia is planted in the ground the base is as thick as an average human ankle,..i just cut off some lower branches to plant Columbine under it,..they should thrive there.

Philip

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Thanks Philip Is the fuscia a perennial ? Oh my goodness !! Didn't know it could get that big !!! Thank you so much for the kind reply.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts