Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Whatcha' got blooming?

What is looking good and/or blooming in your garden right now? I've got a couple areas I would like to put some more late summer to fall bloomers in and thought I would get some good ideas here ;-)

This is what is blooming and looking good now in my own garden:

Anemeone 'Robustissima'- I have mine in almost full shade. The flower stems do flop some (over the back of a patio chair), but I think it is kind of charming, lol. Plus being in the shade makes it grow super big and lush.

Later blooming phlox, like 'Nora Leigh' and 'David'.

Heleniums- a fav of mine! 'Mardi Gras' is churning out a second spurt of blooms. 'Coppelia' and 'Zimblestern' should put on a few more flowers if I go out there and do a bit of deadheading.

Ornamental grasses for sure

Sedums, especially that gorgeous 'Matrona'.

Joe Pye Weeds

Russian Sage

NE Aster...well maybe 'looking good' isnt' the best term since it seems to have Asters yellows this year, LOL.

August Lily (hosta plantaginea) wonderful scent!

Helianthus 'Flore Plena'

Not perennial, but the cannas and corn (yes, corn!)look so fresh and vibrant right now, what with so many other things fading. I planted what was supposed to be ornamental variegated corn, but it turned out to be green. Not terrible though, since the foliage is bright green and the tassels are neat.

What looks good in your garden right now?

This is a picture friendly zone! If you have some you would like to post feel free...I know we would all like to see ;0)

CMK

Comments (17)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Reblooming after several weeks of rain are:

roses, coral honeysuckle, phlox, six hills giant nepeta (whacked back to 8 inches in early july), balloon flower (also whacked back).

Do tomatoes count? ;o)

Midway through their bloom are the various P.G. type hydrangeas. My new fav is Vanilla Strawberry, which turns from cream to rose-pink before turning darker red.

Just starting to bloom is the japanese anemone "margarete", a deep pink variety which I have only this year finally sucessfully moved a chunk of to a new location.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Many of the same plants are blooming in my gardens though some are different varieties. Various clematis, heliopsis, helenium, rudbeckia, echinacea, hosta, hydrangeas, veronicas, penstemon, chelone (pink turtlehead), alliums, agastache, delphiniums, shasta daisy, Japanese anemone, hibiscus, gallaridia 'Burgundy', gaura, brugmansia, and various annuals.
    Mums and asters are just starting to open. Monkshood and golden rod still budding.

Glad you included a photo of the Japanese anemone "Margarete", Lois, as my winter sown ones are just budding.

Joe Pye, Empire Blue buddleia, Endless Summer Hydragnea, white mum just starting, David phlox, rose campion, Matrona sedum & other sedums

"Lobelia Cardinalis"

"Great Blue Lobelia,white lobelia, pink phlox

"Clematis Henryi"

Grasses & mum

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

-lois, I do believe my heart stopped for a second at seeing your Hydrangea pic! Beautiful, and so unusual. Your Jap. anemone is nice too. Makes me wish I would have picked up one of the darker varieties I saw at a local nursery now!!

-mnwsgal, that sweeping curved bed in your first pic is to die for! What canna is that? Also, what cultivar is that pennisetum in the last shot, with the cute tufts? I have tried Lobelia several times with no luck. They died within the first three weeks, lol! Guess it is too hot n' dry for them here.
    Thanks for sharing
    CMK

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

CMK - it's just a wild guess because I have several clumps in my garden but that grass looks like dwarf fountain grass/Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln.'

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Thanks for the compliment, Chris. That bed is in my front yard and I get many comments from walkers. The cana is Tropicana.

I have no idea of the name of the grass as it is one that I got seeds from as "unknown but very nice grass" and so it is.
    That bed is being shortened at the other end to make room to walk by the steps of the deck.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

This could be the year of the petunia for me. Still looking good into September (not usually the case) and really doing well...

...whether in baskets...

...or out of the pavement...

{{gwi:22498}}

Actually, there is a crock in the top right with three plants in it, but the rest reseeded themselves over the years in my somewhat porous driveway.

The 'Uproar' Zinnia, celosia and yellow flowered arugala (heirloom Italian) are also doing well with a nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'.

{{gwi:613348}}

And, of course, impatiens (shown with Abies concolor).

{{gwi:613754}}

tj

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Well, I'm totally jealous of y'all, the only things "getting ready" to bloom are the sedums, asters and mums I planted this spring, the Old Garden Roses are hanging in there, the rest is burned up!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Finally got out there for more pictures this evening... This is what I meant by the hydrangea having a rose pink stage....

And this is what the japanese anemone look like now. (The sun was hitting them at a low angle so they colors are a little off).

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Roses are blooming after getting one rain. No more on the horizon so I will have to start watering again or....

Some clemmies are blooming, and rudbeckia is still putting on a good show. The sedums are really beautiful..I have a couple dozen kinds now since we are going to be in drought from now on, I think. Some of the grasses are blooming and others haven't started yet. Balloon seems to have stopped. Oh and my oak leaf hydrangeas are beautiful. I think that is all. Beautiful pics. c

• newbiehavinfun
    12 years ago

Well, you twisted my arm. I'll have to plant anemones now. So pretty!

Right now I have blooming:
    Salvia Blue Queen
    Hydrangea Limelight
    Lobelia vedriansis (sp?)
    Echinacea Primadonna
    Double Knockout rose
    Thai basil
    Passiflora incensa
    Morning glory (pale blue, very pretty)
    Cosmos (the orange ones with the marigold-type foliage)
    Perennial sunflower (starting to look ratty, though)
    Foxglove Primrose Carousel (that one just won't quit--very impressed!)
    Sedums (buds just starting to open here)

• Annie
    12 years ago

I love all these pics. Thanks everyone!
    The PG Hydrangea is stunning.

You all have such lush and green gardens and flowers! (sigh...) Mine isn't so pretty this year with heat and drought. My plants are damaged, chewed up and scorched and most of the grass in brown or completely dead & gone, but I am now enjoying a few blooms on lots of plants. :)

It has suddenly turned chilly here in Oklahoma, and we actually got a little rain today. I hope this chilly, November-like weather takes out all the chewing insects and I get some undamaged blooms before our first freeze comes.

Here are just a few pics of some of my flowers blooming now. Bug ridden, I know, but I am happy to see flowers after the long, hot summer with hardly any blooms at all!

Rosa, Double Delight just finished blooming:

Rosa, Belinda's Dream

Rosa, Iceberg

'Nana' Butterfly Bush (so fragrant!)

Black and Blue Salvia, Fanick Phlox and Coleus

Blooming:
    Knock out rose - 'Sunshine'
    Knock Out rose - Pink (sparsely)
    my one Cactus Zinnia (has bloomed non stop all summer)
    Salvia, 'Victorian Lace'
    Salvia, 'Blue Bedder'
    Salvia, 'Coral Nymph'
    Salvia, 'Lady in Red'
    Salvia, 'Blue Spires' (after being cut way back, 2nd blooming)
    'Black and Blue' Salvia (after being cut way back)
    Pentas - Magenta, pink and red (non-stop all summer)
    Cleome, 'White Queen'
    Angelonia, white
    Butterfly Bush, 'Nana'
    Rosa, 'Belinda's Dream'
    Rosa, 'Midas Touch'
    Rosa, 'Iceberg'
    Rosa, 'Cherish'
    Rosa, 'Joseph's Coat'
    Rosa, 'Betty Boop'
    Rosa, 'Lady Elsie Mae'
    Aster, 'Dragon' (cobalt blue)- just beginning
    Aster, 'Magic' (deep blue violet) - just beginning
    Periwinkles (white and soft coral)
    'Bright Lights' Coreopsis
    'Moonbeam' Coreopsis (sparsely)
    'Zagreb' (threadleaf) Coreopsis
    'Blue Beard' Spirea - so pretty!
    Morning Glories - volunteers in blues and purples
    Petunias 'White Cascade' - non-stop since May
    Petunias, pink and Cerise - volunteers (non stop all summer)
    'Pink Gown' Tall Phlox
    'Fanick' Tall Phlox (after being cut way back 4 wks ago
    Marigold, lemon yellow (really pretty)
    Bright pink with gold Four O'Clocks - just came into full bloom - gorgeous!
    Pansies (several delicious colors) & tiny yellow violas.

All the above Roses & Coreopsis only have a few small blooms per plant due to the stress they were under all summer, but they are giving it their all to make one last bloom. Voles took out three of my roses this past week. I'm sick over it. (grrrr)
    The Salvias are a big surprise! All but the Victorian Lace, Blue Bedder and Blue Spires are all new seedling plants that came up in late August. Amazing for them to be blooming so soon. Their colors are vivid!
    ~Annie

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Creamy yellow datura.

Canyon Creek Abelia

Yellow repeat blooming iris

{{gwi:641033}}

Rose of Sharon
    {{gwi:271316}}

Fruit cocktail shrimp plant

{{gwi:629843}}

pigeon berry

{{gwi:629845}}

Brazzilian rock rose
    {{gwi:629684}}

yellow Brugmansia

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Wow, so many great plants, I need to take notes. I haven't really mastered the art of four-season (or even three-season) gardening yet. I get these little "Hurrah" bursts of wild, colorful frenzied blooms having a plant party...and then it's like midnight hit for Cinderella and everything goes quiet ;)
    I really like how the hydrangeas pink out and the Brazilian rock rose was neat!
    I will try to add a pic soon as:
    my delphinium is sending up 2 new bloom stalks
    I just moved my Dancing Geisha violet, which hasn't bloomed in 2 years, and suddenly! Bloom stalks!
    New cosmos opening, and
    two new buddleias (Evil Ways and Miss Molly)
    A gorgeous Amaranth is also lending a great, plushy shot of red

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Love all the photos. I'm a huge fan of this time of year and especially over the next 6 weeks or so. I love all the late-blooming perennials, grasses, etc. as well as all the shrubs and trees that either have great fall foliage and/or berries. Here are some pics from today.

A patch of zinnias still going strong.

One of my all-time favorites at this time. Sweet autumn clematis. It smells sooooo good and the sound from all the bees was deafening! It usually runs along the porch railings and rambles into some shrubs but we had our house painted this summer so it's growing over everything in the border. Good thing I have a bridal wreath and another huge spirea in there to support it!

And a rival to the sweet autumn clematis for my new favorite at this time of year is Lespedeza.

Can't be w/o Joe Pye weed, tall grass, coreopsis tripteris, hibiscus and tall rudbeckia.

I wouldn't want to leave out blooms that have gone by either. This little oakleaf hydrangea's blossoms are getting crisp and the foliage is starting its show.

Persicaria and heptacodium are doing a nice dance together. It was fortunate that the persicaria got so tall that it could intermingle with the heptacodium blossoms.

Carpet rose with PeeGee hydrangea framed by a ninebark.

I love goldenrod. I'm a fan of 'Golden Fleece' which is a little shorter than others, but the native tall ones sneak in all over the garden too.

OK, I'll stop now! LOL! I get more carried away at this time of year than others I think. I like to find ways to really extend the gardening season. Warm days and cool nights will now make for a good foliage turn!

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I love that whole view with the tall grass and masses of clematis and the bright fuschia colors sticking out right in that area (persicaria?)!

• DYH
    12 years ago

I love looking at all of these photos and lists!

Since this thread is slow to load, I'm linking to my cottage garden photos so that I don't add to the slowness.

salvias are great here
    sedum
    perennial heliotrope
    geranium rozanne
    more..

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: September in the cottage garden

• Annie
    12 years ago

Loving all the lush, healthy garden photos. I am so envious.
    Keep 'em coming!