Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Rampant Late Blooms (pics)

mantis__oh
12 years ago

Cold is coming the next few days, which will be a jolt, but the garden now is still filled with bloom.

Aster Purple Dome is about at peak. Extra nice this year because of September rain (which will now spoil it too).

{{gwi:274649}}

In contrast, the late-blooming Bluebird is just starting.

Bluebird's foliage is always nice.

Rampant late ageratum (can start to take over):

Persistent snapdragons (with blue Mexican petunia in back):

Close-up of Mexican petunia:

Another shot of Purple Dome:

Comments (15)

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These mums were truly perennial. Many do not survive the winter.

• Annie
    12 years ago

WOWZERS!

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Its great to have late color isn't it? My asters, sedum and Claris Curtis daisies are solid blocks of intense color, surrounded by brown and yellow foliage from all of the plants that are putting them selves to sleep for the winter. Those Mexican petunias are lovely. I assume they are annuals, but very nice foliage. Are they tall?

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the Mexican petunias are tall. Cuttings have to be made. Can you give us some pictures of your plants blooming now?

• Cher
    12 years ago

They all look lovely. When you luck out with the Mums that really survive, those are the ones you split. :)
    Cher

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I so need a blue in my Fall garden, but again I picked up three containers of blue asters and then put them back. Even tho they were on sale for $2.99, I knew they wouldn't survive for me. :( Yours are so pretty. Every time I see those tall wild, striking blue asters along the road I want to jump out and steal them. I imagine the roots go deep though.

Your mums are gorgeous,too.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Seriously!!!! WOWZER is right!! Those are just bloomingful and I love the yellow and white mum-so fluffy and cheerful :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Lovely photos. Thank you so much!
    Renee

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    12 years ago

Very nice! Asters are great for bringing color this time of year. You're lucky you found some chrysanthemums that come back for you. It's even harder in zone 5. That lavender blanket of flowers is amazing!

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

WOWZER is right,soooooooooooo beautiful.Do the bees love those asters?? They do my purple ones,i'm afraid to go near them when they are blooming as there are so many bees around.
    TFS with us.
    kathi

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Those are gorgeous! I am envious.

And Schoolhouse, can't you 'move' a few of the asters in the ditch? I have, and they do tend to survive, if you get enough root. Course, there not protected, and we can do that kind of thing, here.

Nancy.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

Wow, love all that color! Thanks for sharing them. :)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Your Purple Dome aster looks lovely. My PD and AP are just beginning to open. Other asters and mums are in full bloom.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

My New England Aster is very hardy, and reseeds like crazy. I have literally hundreds of volunteers--and that's after weeding out thousands of others to allow space for the remaining plants. I'm developing a native, butterfly garden. So, I encourage the plants that survive well without much water, but provide nectar and seed for the wildlife. I'll have tons of seed later, if anyone wants it. I don't usually collect it because I already have so many volunteers. But if someone wants it just say so.

Martha

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Martha, I think some of these are actually self-sown and thus not all are the original Purple Dome. However, Blue Bird is definitely the original--a fantastic late aster that makes quite a show unless we get very cold and wet fall weather. I noticed today that it still is a ways from peak; but the blossoms all looked crisp. Too cloudy the last few days for bees; yes, the bees and cabbage butterflies like the asters.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!