Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedarglen_gw

New member - pictures!

cedarglen
13 years ago

Hello!

I have been lurking here for a while, so I finally decided to introduce myself and post some pics. We bought our house 2.5 years ago, so this was my third year in the garden. However, it feels more like a first or second year because I had a baby last spring and my garden was mostly nettles and thistles last year; very impressive, 7-foot tall weeds! When we bought the house it didn't have even a hint of a garden - it had been logged and they left it looking like a clearcut full of weeds. Needless to say, I'm still dealing with those weeds. This year I worked hard to get it in shape. It is a work in progress, and I constantly have a list of about 5000 projects on the go, but I love it. All of your gardens have been an inspiration as I've started creating mine, so I hope you enjoy getting a glimpse of our yard. Somehow I only took pictures of the front yard this year, though I do have more established gardens in the back. I'll have to get my camera out more next year ;).

Hmmm... now I just have to figure out how to add those pictures. This is not obvious, is it?

Comments (32)

• cedarglen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, I have made a photobucket account. Now I would love to figure out how to post pictures in the body of my message... bear with my while I tinker with this! In the meantime I will try to link to my photobucket album. Hope it works!

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Oooo..ahhhh..it's like watching fireworks! You have managed to create lovely garden areas - the peach dahlia is gorgeous. And so is the owl! and all the wildlife, horse and dogs.

What a variety of flowers you have, and the colors all work together so well. You really have created something special.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Just beautiful. You have accomplished a great deal in a very short time.

Loved it all.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I forgot to say Welcome!

• msrose
    13 years ago

I think I had the same response as schoolhouse. I was ooing and aahing over the Dahlias (do you know the names?) and then I was like "Oh my gosh, is that a real owl". How cool is that to see an owl in your yard and then have deer wondering up. Oh, and Boston Terriers are some of my favorite dogs! I can tell you've put a lot of hard work into your news gardens and it looks great.

Laurie

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Wow! What beautiful pictures. that owl is so pretty! Are you making a path with those tree trunk rings? What a great idea. In 2 garden seasons you sure have created such a gorgeous garden!

• susie_gardener_2007
    13 years ago

Awesome pictures! Love your house and surroundings. Good job on all the flowerbeds! I can hardly wait to see the backyard.

Susie

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures and beautiful gardens! I have always wanted a log house, and this one is gorgeous! Your gardens are beautiful and go so well with the house. Maybe the big and small dogs can keep the deer away from anything they will fancy that you especially fancy too.

I love your pictures. What a joy to get the little owl's picture. Please keep posting.
    kay

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

First of all, WELCOME! Somehow I really can't believe that you started only a few years ago- you have laid everyting out like a pro! Your home and surroundings are lovely- I like how your garden compliments them.

Ok, so many wonderful things in your garden to comment about...
    In the first picture, is that a 'Guizhou' Artemisia in the middle of the bed? Beautiful! I have moved mine all over the place and still it looks nowhere near as nice as yours.

Love your pets and wildlife! Is your little guy a Boston terrier? The neighbors down the street have two and they are such a kick to watch!

Love that peach colored dahlia too. Do you happen to know the name? What an great idea to use cedar rounds to make a pathway!
    I could go on and on, but suspect I have rambled long enough for today!

Thank you so much for giving us a tour of your garden. Make sure to post more SOON!
    CMK

• janepa
    13 years ago

Welcome! What a beautiful setting for your lovely house and gardens. We gardeners know how much time and energy went into making your new gardens in such a short time. The wildlife will be a special bonus, but I would definitely be checking out plants that deer do not favor. : ) We have deer that come out behind our house but they are some distance away and I have never seen them 'browsing' in my garden.
    Thank you for sharing your lovely flowers.
    Jane

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Holy Cow!! You did all that, and had a baby? I think we need to call social services!! lol. You couldn't have cared for a child and done all of that!! Beautiful job, and your brown-eyed lovelies add to the effect. Your have a great touch with your plant combos and path creation!

tfs. Nancy.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum.My initial thoughts are the same as everyone else's.Amazing how much you got done and had a baby as well,you must be wonder woman.You've done an awesome job so far,can't wait to see the backyard and all the rest.TFS
    Kathi

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! And like the others, I am amazed that you could get this all done in such a short period of time. Love your plant combinations. Very good job!

• todancewithwolves
    13 years ago

That looks like it took a lot of work ... and a job well done! Love all the critters.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Great job and welcome! Looking forward to more pictures. :o)

• floweryearth
    13 years ago

Welcome and what splendiferous gardens you have! Where in the country do you garden? Looks like you have an ideal cottage gardening climate. :)

BTW, I love your boston terrier. I have a little one named May. Wonderful breed.

May your garden grow more beautiful with each passing season! :)

• lily51
    13 years ago

Lovely setting, welcoming, and inviting. You've done a wonderful job with the gardens being just part of the natural setting, evidence by the animals who walk there.

Tell me about the orange/salmon colored dahlias. I have spot saved for these next year. What is the name of the variety?

Also love your little boston terrier. Reminds me of my granddaughter's pup named Murphy. They are sweet dogs.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Amazing. What a wonderful garden- in a wonderful setting. You have really gone to work, haven't you? I don't know how you did that in such a short period of time.
    Bravo!
    Renee

• cedarglen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,

It was SO nice to log on and find all these lovely comments! As you can see from the pics, we don't have a lot of people passing by here to admire the garden - it's nice to show someone who appreciates it:).

I sure wish I had held onto the name of that peach dahlia - I bought it at a local tuber sale a few years ago but didn't write down the name... I have learned to keep better records now :).

Well, yes, I have been busy this year! The pictures with the deer in the weeds are of the same garden one year ago - the deer is basically standing where the new veggie garden fence is now (which the owl likes to perch on). I spent so much time last summer staring at that mess while holding my new baby that as soon as he started to nap consistently I got busy! I ignored the very good advice to "sleep when the baby sleeps," and instead strapped on the baby monitor and got to work. It was probably just as refreshing as a nap :).

I have so many projects on the go all the time - are you all like this? I actually typed up a little list on the computer of fall tasks, and it's a little overwhelming... ha ha. However, picturing the garden next spring keeps it fun. I'm hoping I can do everything on that list; I just went back to teaching part time last week, so I'm a bit more divided this year. Oh well... gardens require patience I suppose.

Anyway, thanks again for all the compliments. It made my day! You all have beautiful gardens too - I've been studying them for months and drawing inspiration from all of you.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum Cedarglen, look what you have accomplished in such a short time and with a new baby, simply amazing, super mom comes to mind :).

Annette

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Cedarglen, welcome and thank you so much for sharing such wonderful pictures of your garden. A Barred owl perching on your fence? That is just outstanding! I have one that calls from the woods behind my house but I've never seen him. What an absolute treat that must be for you! It looks like you have a regular nature preserve there. What a beautiful, amazing transformation in such a short time!

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Looks like a vacation spot id love to stay at!
    VERY VERY nice,
    tanya

• tressa
    13 years ago

What a beautiful piece of land you have, gorgeous gardens, gorgeous horse, gorgeous home and a new baby - I would be in heaven! Where do live?

Tressa

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Lovely gardens!

How tall is your fence around the garden? We have deer, but so far they haven't been too much problem. They are sampling some of my roses, but it's mostly the babies I think, because they take one bite and move on. Nothing much is blooming right now, so I'm hoping they just think they're more shrubs.

Your horse is beautiful. What's his/her name?

• reneestauffer
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, your home/garden is just gorgeous!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum, cedarglen! :-)

What a lovely property you have there! You are doing a great job and I'm amazed at how much you are able to accomplish with all you have to take care of. New baby a horse, pets and a garden. You're a busy person, lol. You take a pretty good photo too. It looks idyllic, like your own little slice of heaven. Enjoy it! Thanks for sharing.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

it's really super fabulous. So wonderful! I love your mix/placement of plants.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Cedarglen - you have a gorgeous garden and I love the wildlife - what a very delightful place to raise your young family. From one who has raised children while gardening and now has grandchildren there is nothing more rewarding than seeing them playing in the dirt, picking flowers and getting excited over a butterfly. Thank you so much for sharing and a BIG WELCOME to the Cottage Garden - please share more ......

Lynne

• rosewitch
    13 years ago

Wow! So lovely. I hope my garden looks as full and beautiful someday.

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

Sorry I didn't comment earlier - Welcome!!! Those are some amazing gardens you've put together! (It's probably a good thing you got so much done this past year, since once the baby is mobile, you may have a harder time getting stuff done! And just wait until the naps come to an end!)

• HerbLady49
    13 years ago

So, So pretty. Your Dalhia and Horse pic should be on the front of a greeting card. Your home and gardens fit in perfectly with the rural landscape.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting