Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Anyone else moving plants this month?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Now that it's cooling off, it's time to move plants before it gets too cold this fall. I move a lot of things in the spring and fall...and so far, so good.

Some plants have grown bigger than I thought they would, while others aren't doing as well as I had hoped in their space. I'm moving a bunch of things this month, but the gardens probably won't look much different, especially from a distance.

I like the overall layout, but I need to swap a few things around. The peonies are going to go in the kitchen garden, while the roses at the entry are going into the front gardens. Snow Pavement roses are pretty deer resistant...if you don't count the flowers. LOL I think they'll be beautiful with my other flowers, especially since I've discovered they're pale lavender, not white. Very pretty little rugosas.

I also need to plant my clematis around the arbor and finish planting my clearance perennials...but they were such a good deal! Once I get that done, it will be time for bulbs. I didn't know how much I was going to like those last year, but this spring, they were beautiful :)

Comments (17)

• scully931
    13 years ago

Have you moved peonies before? I've always heard to put them where you want them to stay because the tap root is so long. I have two I got from some fundraiser and, not thinking they'd actually grow, stuck them in the ground at random. They grew. :-/

Also want to move some perennials. Not cool enough yet here. It's supposed to be back up into the mid-80s next week, I think.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Yep!!! I almost cant wait to get things where they need to be. My catmint needs thinned out, need to give away a neon sedum, and i have 2 roses that need moved to a bed of just roses. I also have clematis to plant (scored them for a dollar each!!!) And i have this ridiculously large hibiscus that needs a new spot. It grew from a 3 inch pot to 4 ft tall and 3 foot wide!
    I decided to write down notes for next year in a little garden journal...like how many bags of mulch i need for each space, to plant morning glories , that sorta stuff.
    I almost cant wait for next spring! lol just to see things fill out and be in the right spot!
    im off to look up these pavement roses, never heard of them before!

• xantippe
    13 years ago

Lavender, I moved a peony this time of year, and did surprisingly well. But I'm zone 8, so I don't know how it would go in your climate. And, yep, Scully, I'd heard terrible things about moving peonies, but I've managed to get away with it so far, thank goodness. Of course, I had to dig crater sized holes, which wasn't fun.

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

I've successfully moved peonies several times. Before I moved the first one, I asked for advice at a local nursery and was told to dig a very large root ball and not to replant too deeply.

Totally Confused

• wren_garden
    13 years ago

Monday it was 93degrees, today it is going to be 65degrees. With a big sigh of relief I can now look forward to all the moves and divisions I've been itching to get to all summer. We have had a very hot dry summer. I don't tolerate the heat very well, I can work up a sweat just walking across the room lol so the garden is a bit wild and wooly.The garden is now 7 years old and this is the first Fall there will be a lot of divisions to do with plants to spread out and share. There also will be a new bed put in for the Daylilies I potted up in July from a trip to "Cottage Garden Daylilies",fig leaf Hollyhocks started from seed and any lower growing divisions from the other garden beds. Been saving for a delivery of garden mix, 4 cubic yards to be dumped in the driveway. Can't wait.

• armyyife
    13 years ago

Yes, I too have lots to move and replace. Asters for a start, I don't know what made me plant those in front of the border as you can't see what's behind them now. I have 3 of those. I have a few roses that need to be sp and replaced. My big beautiful butterfly bush just up and died on me leaving a big hole which I will probably replace with a rose. couple nepta's need moving. Then I also have to revamp an entire area in front of the house that has been in need of some tlc for some time now. Thanksgiving is just around the corner again and it seems I just never have enough time to get it all done! *sigh* ~Meghan

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Now that the backyard is ready for perennials I'm going to be having a great time digging up plants and moving them. I moved many perennials a couple weeks ago when I knew we were going to be getting a few inches of rain that week. But then we went well into the 90s so I've been waiting to do more. I plan to dig up and divide/move many daylilies tomorrow to replant along my split-rail fence in the back. I have a couple friends coming over to help and they are looking forward to taking home boxes of daylilies!

I do have a question about balloon flower. I moved 5 of them a few weeks ago and they look absolutely horrible. I don't think I have ever seen a plant look so miserable after being moved. I know it's not lack of water or weather related because everything else I moved looks perfect. Do they just really detest being moved? They were medium-sized plants with great roots so I'm a bit surprised at how they're sulking....or dying?? Thanks for any info!

• rosewitch
    13 years ago

I also need to re-work my front yard. And there is one peony there that finally bloomed for the first time this year. But I really need to move it. I was trying to make that area all planting beds with paths but it ended up looking too messy even for me! Very poor planning on my part.

I also read and always thought that it was tricky moving peonies. So I was wondering if I dared to try it. But now that I know some of you have done this with success; I will give it a go. As long as it makes it to next year I won't fuss if I set the blooming back for awhile.

I will wait until later this month or even into early Oct. as we always have lots of hot weather right up into Nov.

I also have several rugosa roses but have never heard of Snow Pavement roses. I am going to do a search for them too. Can't have too many roses!

Kat

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've moved peonies several times (even in June) and they've always been fine. Could be the peonies we have, because they're nothing fancy...but they've never had a problem. The biggest concern is getting them right in the hole, watering them and then moving the next one. Also, don't plant them very deep. If you do, they won't bloom.

As for the snow pavement roses, they're more lavender than I thought they would be and very tough little roses, about 3'x3'. Here's a picture of them and I got mine from Northland Rosarium. I think they'll go well with my Therese Bugnet roses :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow Pavement rose

• dawiff
    13 years ago

I have plans for a native area in my garden, in the northeast corner behind the waterfall. I have a bunch of native shrubs in there, but I've been at a loss most of the season about what perennials to plant in there. Recently, when my son and his wife came for a visit, we took a trip up Mt. Rainier to see the wildflower meadows, and it was very inspiring. I now know what I want to plant in there, well, at least I know how I want it to look. Even if a lot of the high-altitude plants won't grow here, I figure I may be able to find substitutes that work in the garden, and will achieve the same look.

So, in furtherance of this plan, I'm going to move a bunch of ferns that I have growing all over the garden, mainly western sword ferns, into the very shady areas of that bed. And I'm going to have to move some Heucheras out of the bed and into another area.

That's probably the biggest project I have coming up.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

lol- that's what I've been doing all day! :)

Good to know about the peonies. Don't know if they'll grow here, but I have five ordered and some bulbs. Now I know to put them where hopefully they will stay.

• rosewitch
    13 years ago

Well after some searching I found the Snow Pavement rose at High Country Roses. I have an order coming to me in early Oct. I ordered, Snow Pavement/Schneekoppe; Purple Pavement and Marie Bugnet. So the rose order along with a fairly large order from Bluestone coming at about the same time, will keep me very busy! I better plan on doing the front garden rearranging sooner than planned!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Yep, been moving quite a few things lately ;-) I decided this summer I needed to be ruthless and chuck those plants that never did anything. I've also been trying to re-plant things so that the ones that look ratty after bloom are hidden by things that stay nice and tidy all season.

I did go ahead and shift things around during summer (during the cooler times anyhow). I know I should have waited until it was cooler, but there were areas I couldn't stand looking at any longer! The back is coming along, though there are some large empty patches that may not get planted with anything until next spring.

Next project is the front sunny-side bed where the roses are. I have been moving out a lot of the perennials that were in front of the roses. It is such a troublesome location because it is full sun (hot because south side against the house). I've been moving out a couple things that look ratty after blooming/don't bloom long and resent the water from the lawn sprinkler hitting them. Not sure how I am going to design this spot out. Maybe a few small boxwoods are in order, to add formality and year round interest? Hummmm....

-Susan, balloon flowers are notorious for that. They hate to be moved because they have a tap root that is very sensitive to disturbance. I find even seedlings dislike being moved. Try shading them a bit (I use an outdoor chair and drape an old towel over the sides). If they stay green I think they should be okay. If you see them browning cutting them down may help. This spring my big 'double white' clup almost fully died out (either old age or root rot, not sure which!). I liked them there so decided to move a few third year seedlings from another spot there. They sulked forever, but look as though they have perked up now. Hopefully yours will do the same ;-)
    CMK

• luckygal
    13 years ago

We've had a lot of rain recently so there haven't been too many windows of opportunity to move plants. I won't dig in clay soil when it's wet. So it may soon be too late to move things.

I have a lot of lavender plants in a holding bed that I want to move near the roses but this year I put petunias there and they still look so nice that I hate to pull them. Probably will work OK to move the lavender in the spring.

I also have some grown on potted seedlings that really need to get in the ground but I have no idea where to put them. Must do it this week whenever it stops raining.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info Christin. I did move the adirondack chairs in front of them to shade them a bit. They look really terrible, but they had to be moved so there was no choice. Oh well, hopefully they are doing OK below the soil and will come back for me next year!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I'm not moving stuff so much (already moved a few daylilies and some irisa...I have to move a few more iris) but I am putting in an entire rose garden at he end of this month. We'll see how that goes.
    kay

• Annie
    13 years ago

Yes!

Lots of things.
    I am changing the layo0uts of some areas and paths in some places and moving shrubs and perennials to new locations.
    It is slow going but looking good!

Most of the roses are blooming again and the Salvias are in their summer glory, as are the morning glories. Had t cut back the Mums again as they had grown too tall and flopped over. I just cut them back in July! Still have some Phlox and Daylilies blooming.

We are getting the outer bands of Tropical Storm Hermine today. They were not supposed to get here until tomorrow. I was out moving shrubs and it started pouring down on me. I was yelling, "Not yet!" I got drenched. But I am so glad to get the rain. It will make moving plants so much easier. Supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow and on into Thursday. Just in time too, as we had been under a Fire Alert and were beginning to get grass fires around the OKC area again.

The ground is so dry and as hard as concrete. In some areas, I can hardly dig in it with the Maddox! Can't dig with the shovel. And when I do finally chop it out, the soil is powdery. Blah!

So, after all the rain is passed, it will be easier to dig the planting holes and dig out the shrubs I want to move too. And the cooler temps will help to prevent them from wilting. Yeah!

I have been raking up leaves and piling them in several of the flower beds for the past month. They have been falling for the past month. Adding them and adding the composted wood chips in those beds is starting to show some signs of soil improvements. I keep digging it in and piling it on. The flowers are loving it. So, those flowers beds are easy to dig in, even now.

I've moved quite a few things already and have more to get done before Fall's cold weather arrives. Am loving this early Fall weather. Feels and smells so good.

Glad not to have to water for a change. Am enjoying sitting out on the patio in the mornings and evenings, watching the hummingbirds and chickens. (the hens started laying eggs - happy me)

Love listening to the sounds of nature all around and the lovely cool breezes.

Hope you are all doing fine and your gardens are thriving.
    ~Annie