Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedarglen_gw

They got my fruit trees!

cedarglen
13 years ago

The deer, that is. I recently transplanted a young plum into what I'm hoping will one day be an orchard... right now it is just an area with several young trees that I bought and planted when they were sold bare-root. Anyhow, last summer the deer swept through one night (when I didn't know better) and decimated my three apple trees. I wasn't sure if they would survive. They did, but they look pretty pathetic and don't seem to have matured at all since I bought them. They just look like twigs coming out of the ground with a few leaves... Now to the plum tree - I transplanted this the other day and didn't have time to put a cage around it before dark. I always use cages now, and I should have known better & got my flashlight out to finish the job. The deer found it and they broke a bunch of branches off and stripped the others of leaves. I think it's worse than the apple trees - so frustrating! This was a grafted plum that was going to bear 4 different kinds of fruit. So here is my question - do you guys think the tree will survive? Will those nude branches grow leaves again next spring? The leaves were totally green yesterday, but of course they would soon change color and drop since it's already October. I hope this will somehow help the tree. How do you think the current season will affect the tree's recovery? Any ideas or suggestions for getting all of these trees past their unfortunate start?

Sigh... and to think "Bambi" was my favorite movie when I was a kid.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County