Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2b_gw

Flora's front bed

flora2b
13 years ago

Here is one of my flower beds with a list of some of the plants in it.

Overview

Part sun/Part shade

{{gwi:201748}}

Hellebore orientalis, purple leaf is Ligularia 'Britt-Marie Crawford', Hosta 'francee',

Dicentra 'Gold heart', spectabilis & eximia, corydalis, Brunnera 'Jack frost', Heuchera 'purple petticoats' & 'cascade dawn', Astilbe 'Rheinland' & 'Pumila', lysimachia 'Alexander'

and another view

{{gwi:202984}}

More sun (old camera)

A variegated dogwood lightens up the dark central corner, plus Phlox, Echinacea, Aconitum, Aquilegia, Hemerocallis, Rhus 'tiger eyes', Rhodo 'english roseum', variegated oat grass, eupatorium and nepeta mussini.

(new camera)

{{gwi:633656}}

Hope this helps CMK....I'm sure I've missed a few.

Thanks for looking.

Flora

Comments (27)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Flora, I am so glad you posted these extra pictures! I saw your picture from the other thread and it definitely left me wanting more! What a beautiful bed. The evergreens are perfect as a backdrop. How long have they been in and how fast have they grown? It looks like you hav multiple rows of them? Gives it much more depth. Thanks for posting spring and summer pictures. Very nice!!

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

My plantings look scraggly, is it just because they are immature? Will mine fill out like that? I've had my place for 2 years and had to start with seeds and young bulbs.

I love your garden. I would love to have that at my place.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Flora- Just beautiful! You have such lovely gardens. Where are you in BC? I'm in eastern Washington, about five miles from Idaho :)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Thanks for the extra pics and list of plants Flora. Wow, love that first pic of the bed and how you have the sides flaring out against those wonderfully stately trees. Your loostrife is amazing. I have 'Golden Alexander' and the leaves always burn terribly for some reason. Your garden looks fantastic from one season to the next.
    Thanks for sharing!
    CMK

• janepa
    13 years ago

Flora your garden is lovely. All of the photos are great but I love the second and the last one. All the colors are so soft and harmonize beautifully.
    Jane

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

That is one gorgeous border, I love the way you mixed color and texture. How long and deep is this border?

Annette

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

wow Flora....wow!
    It's gorgeous and that first picture is super lovely with mountains behind it. What a gorgeous setting....

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Just beautiful!

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Thanks for listing the plants! Your gardens are just amazing. And what a backdrop!

• flora2b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful comments....I have truly enjoyed the transitions in this bed which have been in progess for about 12 years now.
    The background trees are the common Thuja occidentalis, known locally as pyramid cedars. They have been growing about 25 years and are actually a single L shaped row. I think they are nearing the end of their life as they haven't grown taller in years now and seem to be spreading with multiple trunks. Unfortunately about 6 years ago the deer found them and have been attempting to make them into lollipops each winter so I have to cage the area in the winter now.
    The actual bed is about 45' X 80' and in the center is about 20' deep with it narrowing out to anywhere between 4-6'.
    Lavender lass, like you I am about 7 miles from the Idaho border, just on the northern tip in the Kootenays. Are you in the Spokane area?
    CMK, I bought 'golden alexander' lysmachia just this year and will see how it compares. Hope it doesn't burn too much.
    As I stated before....I am a bit of a addict...plant collector....whatever.....it sure beats housework!!! Heck most work!!!

• Eduarda
    13 years ago

Your garden is simply stunning... sigh...
    Eduarda

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Beautiful gardens and thanks for sharing them with us. No deer in your area? They would love your hostas..that would be a midnight buffet for them here.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Magnificent!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Everyone has said it all,love the border.

• wren_garden
    13 years ago

Jaw dropping. Just beautiful. What an inspiration. Thanks

• flora2b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pippi21- Alas, yes I have deer and they usually don't find the hostas as they have been too busy in my backyard. But since this year, I fenced my backyard totally and they have been nipping at alot of things in the front that they never touched before. I imagine brunnera is going to have to stand in for the hostas in the future.
    Here it is put away for the winter :-(

Flora

• flora2b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again CMK, I followed your great advise and did the same.
    Winter has touched us with a blanket of white....I can only dream until spring now.
    Flora

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Flora, I would like to hear more about how you did your deer fencing. I'm pressing my luck again this winter using Plant Skydd but have always thought about a deer fence that wasn't permanent. What is the netting material? It looks like you have posts set in pots of cement? I don't see that many posts in the photo so I can't figure out how the top of the fence doesn't sag here and there. Do you roll it up in the spring? I assume there are multiple sections? Sorry for all the questions but this looks like a really interesting way to deter deer for the winter. Thanks

It's a little far away but is that a larch in the background? The yellow color is so beautiful behind your hedge of green. What a stunning backdrop.

• flora2b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thyme2dig,
    Yes, that is a larch in the background.....have lots around here.
    The temp fence is made of leftover fish netting that I got online. The black bird netting wasn't strong enough. It is actually sewn together into one piece with a none stretchy string strung through the top and bottom. I keep it rolled onto a bamboo pole when not in use.
    Most of the posts are just 1/2" rebar, cut 10' long. I pound in a length about 2', then remove it and set in the longer 10' length, but because I didn't have enough, I also used my 'cement in a pot' poles. The poles are about 10' apart.
    Tie the top and bottom strings to the first pole and wrap around, tying to each pole at top and bottom. For added support I also ran another string around the top and tied the net to it, helps hold it when we get the real wet snows.
    Hope I explained this clearly.
    Flora

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Brilliant! Thanks for the extra info Flora.

• flora2b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is my fence in the wet, wintery snow. You can't really see it, but there are deer tracks going around and around, no break-ins yet.....hopefully they will move on.

Flora

• Annie
    13 years ago

Stunning view of your front garden and the mountains behind!
    I love all the leaf textures and their colour variations.
    The flowers are subtle and lovely in their surroundings. Gorgeous plantings! Light and airy looking flower bed.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

An absolutely gorgeous garden bed! Love the deep green backdrop and harmonious textures and colors.

Plant id please - first group of photos, #5 - what is the tall dark purple spire behind the hosta flowers that looks like a delphinium?

Thanks!

• flora2b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for more lovely compliments.
    Gottagarden, the plant in question is monkshood, or botanically known as aconitum napellus. There are a few different types with different blooming times, but this one blooms in mid summer. They say they don't like to be moved around but I have had no problems with spring division and relocation. It is a great replacement for delphinium, when you have an area that is a little damper or not quite full sun and the deer will not touch them here.
    F

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

so gorgeous! love that pop of lilac in the farther out photos.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Gorgeous garden! With your first pic I suspected you were in the Kootenays as we lived there long ago and have frequently traveled there especially for the hot springs.

Love your deer fencing. Do they not bother the garden much the rest of the year? Our deer are around all year so I haven't yet found a great solution to the problem.