Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you tried clicking on 'Other Forums'? Real Problem

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 2:10

I tried all of yesterday to click on the link to 'other forums' at the top of every page and every time I try it, it downloads a 36kb file onto my computer. I have some links to my 'favorite forums' on my computer, but when I want to go to a forum I don't visit too often I click on 'other forums'. Imagine my surprise to see a file downloading. I have about 5 copies of the same file on my desktop. It looks like script for the 'other forums' page. It is labeled 'forums'.

I used the contact us feature late yesterday to let them know about it but have not heard back from them and it is still doing it. Is it even safe to visit GW any more, if they can download a file onto your computer? Or is it something that is only happening to me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you tried clicking on 'Other Forums'? Real Problem

It doesn't happen when I use it. I don't know why you are having that problem. I use it all the time and just tried it again to be sure. Hopefully they will get back to you. c

o

I used it a number of times yesterday and again this morning with no problems/issues.

o

I had problems the other day when I tried to add my messge to a thread. I was transported to another ivillage webpage. I tried a couple of times more and had the same results so I finally contacted the webmaster. So far the problme hasn't repeated itself.

o

Thanks, I have no idea why it's doing it to me if I'm the only one. So I emailed Gardenweb and got no response. Is contacting the webmaster different? Where did you find contact info? I don't see anything at the bottom of the page.

o

I also do it all the time with no trouble. Have you tried clicking on 'Forums' on the green bar above 'Other forums'? Then click on 'Garden forums'. Does that get you there?

o

Yes, I did try clicking on every forum link I could find and none of them got me where I needed to go without getting this file downloaded.

I did find the webmaster address and contacted them.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 10:58

Someone mentioned the same problem on another forum. Are you using Safari? I have Firefox and Safari, but mainly use FF. Just tested Safari and that's exactly what happens. If you don't have an alternate browser now might be a good time to download one.

Here is a link that might be useful: other forums

o

Someone else told me that there is a new thing, called Drive by download infections and 'Click Jacking' It would seem that this kind of behavior on a website is highly suspicious and could be a third party hijacking when you click on a website. I am looking into it now.

In the meantime, I've contacted GW yesterday and today to ask if they plan on fixing it etc, with no response again.

Yes, natal, I do use Safari. I have FF but it is an old version and all my favorite links are on my Safari browser. I would not like to have to switch, but I have started using my FF for GW temporarily . I also wonder if anyone else on GW could be having a file downloaded to their machine on a windows operating system and not be aware of it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Jacking A very real threat

o

prairiemoon: the same thing was happening to me all weekend. It wasn't until yesterday that I could get into the other forums.

o

Thanks rafor, glad it was fixed and I learned about something else to be careful about. Mine is working now too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here