Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Fall Favorites

Posted by mantis__oh z6 OH (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 6:58

In full splendor right now is aster Raydon's Favorite, always reliable.

Dahlias have been blooming like fools for two months now.
Thomas Edison

September Morn

Wyoming Wedding

Red Hat

Cameo

Bradley Aaron

It has been a great year for dahlias here because of mild August weather. Victoria Ann

But overgrown bushes are starting to fall over:

Coleus, as usual, have grown huge.

The rapturous sky blue of plumbago has been a special delight this year:

Foliage plants too love the cooler temps of fall. The Rex begonias have been very nice this year (in basket and to right).

Elephant ears too have flourished.

Many pots, while more seedy, still have a lingering beauty.

This was September. With shortening days, things are in slow decline.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Fall Favorites

Wow. Lovely.

o

Very, very pretty. The asters and dahlias are my favorites. I wish I could grow asters, the rabbits eat the plants the day after I put them in. I'll have to look up the variety you grow.

In a post above I mentioned I would plant zinnias next year, maybe a row of mixed dahlias instead! However I would need to dig up the tubers in the fall, no?

o

I wouldn't take a chance with the dahlias. However, all those I left in the ground came up again here in southern Ohio.

o

Mind-boggling how lush everything is for you still. Those dahlias are amazing. Every time I see them planted I say to myself I should plant some, but always get lazy and forget by spring, lol.

The plumbago and elephant ears are my favs. Is the plumbago hardy for you in z6, or do you overwinter those indoors? How about the EE?
CMK

o

The plumbago is definitely not hardy. But a local grower provides a nice big pot in the spring for ten bucks. It has bloomed all summer, and where else can one find such an alluring shade of blue?

o

Good- Ness !!!' That was a feast for the eyes !!! I HAVE to grow some Dahlias ! Mercy ! Gorgeous !!!! Thank you so much for sharing !!!!

o

Cute doggie, too ! He's a lucky dog !

o

Every year I regret not planting dahlias. Yours are beautiful. This summer I visited a test garden for dahlias. I can't pick a favorite, but here are a few.

o

Another

o

another

o

last one

o

Wow. Wow. WOW !!! So gorgeous

o

Such wonderful colours,..lovely posts,..ahhh those Dahlia are to die for.

o

How kind of you to share your gorgeous pictures and plants. thank you!
Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here