Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haydenrose_gw

Quick question--Lilies in containers--where to store?

haydenrose
9 years ago

Hello everyone, I hope this isn't too off-topic.... I posted on a few other forums but this is more active and I am a frequent reader here. I would like to grow lilies (asiatic and oriental) in containers here in zone 4. I've read that it's easy to do, but then every article also says to protect the bulbs from too much water and excessive freezing/thawing. Not sure how to do that--put the containers in a cellar? A shed? We are covered in snow here for several months. Any input you might have would be MUCH appreciated. I don't have space in my garden right now, so containers it must be. To clarify, I'm talking about planting the bulbs in fall.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

first.. the pots must be unbreakable ....

second.. put them in full shade.. north side of the house... black pots in sun are not good if no snow cover ...

and once dormant and frozen .. tip them on their sides so water doenst accumulate ...

its a little late to know if you have the right potting media ...

the key is: get them dormant.. keep them dormant ...

snow cover is one of the best winter insulators.. that is not an issue ... nor are temps if the plants are zone appropriate ....

i would not mess with any type of indoors ... and i hope you dont have any vermin that will find your pots ...

ken

• haydenrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ken! This is extremely helpful. I haven't decided on the potting media yet...open to suggestions. All my potting soil is running low so I'll be making a trip to the nursery this week anyway.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi haydenrose,

I keep all of my Lilies in containers and tall containers rather than the small ones,..mine are the 2 Ft container with hand grips and lots of Peat mixed with grit for easy drainage as its the water logging of Lily bulbs that do the damage,..some losses do happen due to extreme cold but only some as Lily bulbs are fairly tough.

You do have a choice overwintering,..leave them outside or take them into a cool place,..you could also remove the bulbs then dust them off place them on a bed of moss peat which you keep moist by giving it the occasional water spray,..you must also spray the bulbs with a fungicide to protect them,..some people do the latter but i don't recommend it,..lifting the bulbs i mean,..as i recommend leaving them out of the ground for as little time as possible.

By coincidence i removed all my bulbs from their containers today and replanted them in bigger containers as they had increased in population i also mixed them rather than have all the same color in one container,..my containers are the Builders Rubble Containers and boy do those handles make it easy for lifting.

Philip

9 years ago

google: al's gritty mix ... for links back to GW ...

the only problem with this... is you will end up with A LOT ... lol ...

in my pots.. i use a mix of about 50% peat based media... like promix ... and mini bark chunks ... never forget ... roots need air... as much as water ....

but to be very clear.. i have never done bulbs in particular ....

media is all about water management ..... meaing.. mostly .... drainage ...

and the key.. with bulbs.. is.. they dont like to be sodden.. like many other potted plants .... the bulbs themselves will rot ..

and that is what is important .. in wintering them over ....

you might get a lot more information.. in the container forum ... where they have taken the topic to new levels ...

and finally ... properly dampen your media prior to potting ... a few days before ... and then a little water to settle it all in the pot.. but then.. this time of year.. in the great white north.. you might not water them for the rest of the year .... its just not the time to be flooding pots .... if you properly wetted.. the peat in the base media .... hope that makes sense

ken

9 years ago

and dont buy a media.. that already has fertilizer in it.. this time of year ... thats the last thing you need for wintering over pots ....

ken

• ianna
    9 years ago

Im in Can zone 5b which is close to US zone 4. I've left asiatic lilies in the ground which no problem. they come every year.

A simple solution to potted plants that need to be overwintered outside -- dig a hole and set the pots in. Fill that hold back and top with mulch. Easy.

The same thing is done when overwintering non-hardy tall vining roses. They set them in a canal inground and filled up and mulch.

or if you have a cold frame, set the pot inside and fill the frame with mulch.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I do the same as Lana, place the pot in the ground and cover with mulch for the winter. Some of my perennials in pots are placed in my unheated garage but haven't tried that with lilies.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio