Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

First of Fall chores started

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

Put away some terracotta urns this morning. Two of them have scented geraniums that are still going strong though, so I'll leave them for the time being. Also the two geraniums in the big flowerpots are blooming so pretty I hate to disturb them.

The table and chair sets will stay out until the end of the month, as I like to sit with a cup of coffee and take a break while planting bulbs. The ground is finally wet enough that job will be much easier, finding just the right spot for the "Rosy Clouds" daffs and the "Lemon Beauties" Narcissus will be the challenge. The big bag of mixed Narcissus won't be as difficult, I plant those in swaths and along paths. But one bag is never enough!

Comments (8)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- Glad I'm not the only one getting ready for fall...or at least I was, before I got this cold. Amost better, but I've been trying to decide where to move a few roses and the best place for some new bulbs. I love those dark purple hyacinths! The bumblebees love them too :)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I trimmed the Bridal Wreath Spireas last night until dark. They look a little bald this morning- oops. They will fill in by March when they bloom.

I fell asleep going over the umpteen chores awaiting this fall. Or should I say, I layed awake going over the umpteen chores...

Renee

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Surprisingly, I don't plan on doing too much cleanup of the garden other than cutting back a few things. Then laying down leaf mulch which won't be for awhile the way the leaves are hanging on.

By purple hyacinths,do you mean the grape hyacinths? Ugh. I hate them. Altho they do make a nice bit of color in Spring mine spread too much. We've battled each other for years and years!

I do want to dig out an area right in front of the small cement slab at the bottom of the back porch steps and lay about 4 - 6" of gravel there. All Winter and Spring that area is nothing but a mud spot that everybody and the dog has to skirt around or track through to walk down or up the steps. Hope I don't end up making a worse mess with the gravel.

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I put a new plastic sheeting cover on the greenhouse. I am fortunate to live adjacent to thick pine trees, so I have mulched with straw to about six inches.

I dug a bucket of Spanish bluebell bulbs for a plant swap, but the lawn sprinkler filled the bucket and they rotted before I realized what had happened.

I feel about them as schoolhouse feels about the grape hyacinths - they spread too much.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I have begun cutting tall weeds that I neglected for two months when I had a flare up of arms and wrist problems. I have planted a 24 foot row of garlic. Put away garden hoses. Begun gathering up the tools.

Planted some mums and daylily seedlings.

I will do veggie garden cleanup when we have a killing frost.

When time and energy permit, I need to get the row of daylilies and iris out of the kitchen garden and into a new home!

• seamommy
    13 years ago

I've been trying to clean up a little around the gardens, but with the 3YO DGS in tow I don't get much done at any one time. This past weekend I was pulling out some dead foliage from the iris beds when he discovered we had baby goldfish in our tiny pond this year. All cleaning had to stop while we tried to count them. Counting fish is like herding cats, you can't do it, but it's fun to try.

I was moving some brugs out of pots and into the ground when DGS found a little hand shovel left out over the summer and then he helped me dig. A lot of dirt went into the birdbath and into his hair. He filled his shoes with it and walked around in his socks after that.

As I tidied up around the elf garden, DGS found my little hand-made bamboo ladders (the elves made them so they could climb rocks) and used them to build a railroad on which he then ran some of his little toy trains. Trains are harder on elf ladders than elves are, so the elves will now have to spend this winter in their little abodes making new ones.

Although it was too cold to swim in his little pool, DGS found it fascinating to play in anyway, so while I pulled weeds in the rose garden he jumped in and out of the pool, went down the slide and alternately threw all of his toys into the pool then climbed in and threw them all out.

I love all of the seasons in the garden but I don't get a lot of gardening done anymore since the little rug rat came to live with us. But gee, it sure is a lot more fun to watch him than it is to do chores. I never had a son so never realized how sweet and lovable a little boy could be. Can you tell this little one has my heart?

Cheryl

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Cheryl- What a cutie! It sounds like he's a handful, but a lovable one :)

Schoolhouse- Grape hyacinths do spread! My mom has a bunch. These are regular hyacinths that are deep purple and have a nice fragrance. Mom has white ones, too, but I love the purple. They're the only plants in my garden that the bumblebees like in early spring, except for the fruit trees.

• agardenstateof_mind
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, we have a spot like that at the bottom of our back porch steps. The piece of sod DH put down early this summer has given up the ghost. While overseeding the lawn this fall, I filled the depression and threw down some seed, but I think a big, flat, natural stone is what's really needed for this landing spot.

Good luck with the gravel. I've given up on the stuff for the most part. It collects all kinds of debris and eventually gets smooshed into the soil anyway, so is muddy when wet, gets weedy, makes snow-removal difficult ... and seems to migrate out over edging into lawn and garden areas (probably in the dark of night when no one's looking).

Cheryl, I have three sons (two are twins) and only one daughter. Enjoy these years! Your post sounds like you are enjoying them, and your DGS's different perspective.

As for my chores ... other than the overseeding, I'm getting some rescued woodland plants in the ground along with some perennials that have been waiting in my "pot ghetto." Still hoping for some nice weather to empty out, clean, then refill the greenhouse and get the front deck cleaned and re-stained. DH is just finishing up new roof on the garden shed. Once the leaves start falling, will start shredding and putting into garden beds for winter mulch. Son #1 has moved to his own home, taking his leaf blower (such nerve!) so I'm in the market for one of those awful things. I really dislike the noise and pollution, but on a gravel drive there really seems to be no other option. Any suggestions on brands, models, features, etc. are welcome. Looked at some today and felt really at a loss (kind of out of my element).