Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Back porch pics

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

The sun and the colors were so pretty this morning.

{{gwi:756649}}

{{gwi:756651}}

Comments (16)

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

WONDERFUL!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

What a beautiful scene! i love your morning glories and the pink geranium is so pretty.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

How pretty! Nice to sit out there with your coffee (or tea).
    kay

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- Beautiful place to sit with your tea! I love all the flowers :)

• scully931
    13 years ago

Oh, it makes me miss spring and summer already!

I have a question... do you start your morning glories from seed every year? My mom's neighbor has them covering her porch and she gets a start at a nursery each year. But every year it looks like it's been there for years.

I tried an entire pack of morning glories and got one little guy that sprouted one flower. Can't say I've ever noticed them at a nursery.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Perfect Cottage Garden beauty!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For alot of years I began with transplants from a nursery, but the last two I've planted seed. Soaked the seed overnight first. I've had good luck both ways actually, but I needed more plants this year so went with direct sow.

It IS one of my favorite places to sit - too long. I can see just see enough of the neighbor's yard across the way to the right, to keep up on what's new with them; and can see the busy highway and whoever turns up my road. Sun until half past noon, then shade the rest of the day.

• lily51
    13 years ago

cottagey and inviting. love the color of the geraniums next to the morning glories.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse what a great spot. Sun for half the day and shade for the other. I don't think I would ever move! Can you give us a picture of the view of your garden view from that spot where you sit so we can soak in the whole experience? Thanks!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alas, no view of the garden from the back porch except the Rosey Glow Barberry beyond on the left. The garden is on the north side of the property with no view from the house windows, as there are no windows to look out of on that side because the garage is up against the north side of the house (my uncle's doing, not mine). The back porch faces east.

{{gwi:756654}}

However, I do have a great view of the Hollyhocks along the picket fence right off the back porch and one of my favorite views is the tree line, woods and field but 20' away. When the tulip poplar tree comes down, I may put in a small flower garden below the porch; but not sure.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I also love your MG's! Isn't this a great time of the year for them? Mine are staying open all day now since it's cooled down quite a bit.

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

This is the best fall color I've ever had on this tree! Usually we have a big storm, way before now, that blows all the leaves off early. This year, it's been pretty calm so the leaves have just stayed and stayed.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I've always wanted to try growing Morning glories but were afraid to try them as I'd always read or heard that they become invasive and it's hard to get rid of them. If I planted them in a large patio container, and provided a trellis for them to grow up on, would that work without seeds dropping to other locations?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tend to dead head my morning glories, but saying that I don't get all the seed heads off. As far as the re-seeding, I haven't had that problem with the Heavenly Blue MG. Perhaps I've been lucky all these years.

Now, other varieties like the Grandpa Otts can be truly awful.

• scully931
    13 years ago

You're afraid of them being invasive and I can't even get more than one teeny one to grow. :-D

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We had a real hard frost last night, so down came the MG and the Cup and Saucer vine awhile ago. They both pulled down easier than I expected, except when I was removing the small nails that held up the MG's string trellis my hammer hit the window pane - ugh. Was that crack there before??? I honestly can't remember, the old crack on one of the panes on the bottom sash has been there since the day I moved in. I hate that because it's still the old wavy glass.

Emptied the geranium pots, too. I should have really brought them both in again last night but I decided not to and I fear I've paid for my mistake. One of them has a new small piece broken out near the bottom. They are Fredericksburg Pottery, a historic pottery in this part of the county. When I bought them several years ago, I bought them "as is" or else I would have paid a fortune. Previous owners must have done the same as I, left them out too late in the Fall. Despite their cracks,they still look beautiful to me.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES