Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Has everyone battened down the hatches?

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

We are expecting some high winds today. I brought in the last small bistro table and chairs from the garden in case they might blow away. Brought in my few Halloween decorations too. Now I only hope the tall old serviceberry shrub in the garden weathers the storm, it's been propped up on one side for several or more years and probably stable by now; but I've never removed it for fear of starting all over. They say the ground is really saturated so trees more than likely will topple somewhere. Just hope it doesn't happen at my house.

Good luck and be safe to all Cott.Gardeners in Sandy's path!

Comments (6)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Hope your serviceberry makes it through the storm, Schoolhouse. We are braced for a major impact here in the DC area. I am hoping all our big trees make it. We are expecting power outages and Old Town will once again be flooded. Expect to see pictures of people in canoes navigating Union Street.

Stay safe and dry. I will be sleeping in the basement tonight!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Checking back with you cyn427. How goes it? Perhaps you aren't able to get online right now but hope you and yours made it without too much damage. So far it looks like I only lost a branch off the ancient lilac.

Take care.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Schoolhouse, we lost power last night and just got it back about two hours ago. Other than that, we came through unscathed. Glad you fared so well also. I amused myself as the winds blew by imagining what the new master bath might look like if the leaning tree were to fall on the house. As long as I was dreaming, I also added a walk-in closet! Ha!

You are so sweet to check on me. We consider ourselves very lucky, especially when we see what happened in NJ and NY. Thanks so much and here's hoping that old lilac comes back more beautiful than ever next spring!

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Glad to know that both of you and your homes and gardens were spared any serious damage from Sandy. We are seeing so much devastation along the East Coast. MN is in a valley of calm between two fronts.

My brother works for the telephone company out of Texas and travels throughout the country helping to restore telephone service. He has been in CA recently but expect he will soon be out East.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Thank your brother for everyone, 'gal! We have power co. workers from Alabama and Arkansas and probably many other places. I know one thing-we really are all in this together and I hope those who travel to help know how grateful we are (even those of us who were lucky).

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

I hope everyone in the metro NY, CT and NJ area are all OK. What devastation there. Last halloween we got 19" of heavy, wet snow that did a number on the garden. This year we had high winds from Sandy, but not as bad as we had thought. A couple fence sections down that we'll have to fix, but all in all we were spared this one. Didn't even lose power. Glad to hear you guys are OK.

Kudos to all those phone and electric line workers who work 18 hour days trying to get everyone back on line.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living