Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planted Pansies on top of tulip bulbs ?

Posted by ghoghunter Zone6b SE PA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 11:30

I just planted some more tulip bulbs and then put some pansies on top of them. I am hoping the pansies will be dead by next Spring when the tulips come up. Has anyone an experience with this? Have I made a big mistake?
Joann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planted Pansies on top of tulip bulbs ?

I have always planted pansies on top of the taller growing bulbs in pots. Mainly tulips or narcissus.
The tulips grow through without any trouble and flower with a fringe of pansy or viola flowers at their feet.
The pansies carry on flowering after the bulbs have finished too. I think they are great value plants.
Daisy

march 2013 024

march 2013 020

o

OMG! Your containers look beautiful! I will be thrilled if my flowers look half as good! Mine are outside in the ground but yours look wonderful! Thank you for your response. I was ready to go back out and dig them all up! Now I won't have to!
Joann

o

Those are so pretty. Could you tell me how you did these pots? We have such vole problems here that planting tulips are only inviting a feast. Pots would prevent this, so I would love to try this. Thanks, lesley

o

Thank-you Joann and Lesley.
Lesley, I don't have trouble with voles here, but I do have trouble with polecats.
They like to dig in the pots for worms and insects. They can break and dig up any planted pot.
I don't have a really cold period in winter, so my tulips have to spend six to eight weeks in the fridge before I can plant them. I then plant them usually in two layers in the pots, using bagged compost. Then I plant the young pansies or violas on the top. To stop the polecats digging them up, I put a thick layer of large sized grit or small pebbles around them. This seems to work. So far, touch wood, the polecats haven't dug them up.
Daisy

This post was edited by daisyincrete on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 7:31

o

Brilliant! I am going to buy tulip bulbs and pansies for my containers, too! Love it!

o

Works with daffodils too

o

Very lovely.

So are you saying you plant the bulbs in the containers in early Spring?

o

Thanks for your response. I am going to try it. Your pots are just beautiful and I believe it might be the only way I could grow tulips. Spring is right around the corner. Ha. Lesley

o

Schoolhouse, I have only had gardens in zones 8, 9 or 10, so I don't know if the pots would freeze right through in your zone.
The bulbs need to be planted in the autumn. If you think they would freeze right through, you could perhaps plunge the pots in the garden for the winter and cover them with leaves or bracken. Then dig them up and add the pansies in the spring. Or you could leave them in a cold but frost free place, like a greenhouse for the winter.
Alternatively, you could buy ready grown pots of bulbs and pansies in the spring for an instant display in your pots.
Daisy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here