Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
October Surprise

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 11:31

We woke up to this today.

Is this what you call winter interest?

It looks like this sunflower is bearing up pretty well.

Happily, it is melting, even as I type.

I'm not too happy with the auto-focus on my little Canon PowerShot. It seems to get easily confused. I miss my old Nikon SLR with manual everything. Wish I could afford a new one. Maybe if I ask Santa Claus ...

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: October Surprise

I am SO not looking forward to the day I wake up and find first snow on the ground, lol.

Isn't auto focus maddening? Especially for close-ups. Of course, that really is the least of my worries- there is a glitch with my camera and half the time I can't even get it to turn on, LOL.

PS. that tree in the first pic is incredible...
CMK

o

Oh man, I am really not ready. Last year in late October a town near here got 30". We only had 2 feet here. We really don't need that again.

o

Hmm..sittin' on the front porch and having a glass of wine with DH and I was shivering...it is..63 out !! I have a wool sweater on and shorts LOL. Your pics are SO pretty TM..but I am glad to be in the South ...c

o

Bummer! (Windows open.)

o

Oh my gosh! Well, altho I really do enjoy winter and the snow; it is a little early. Love the sunflower pic.

o

Great pictures but snow already brrrrr. So far our fall has been wonderful, warm days and cool nights. The last couple of months have been dry, in fact if I'm not mistaken a record as far as rain is concerned, september can be a very wet month here.

Annette

o

I must say that your pictures made me happy that we are experiencing only temps in the low 50s! ;)

I do like snow, but in October? Not so much.
Good pictures, TM.

o

Pretty pictures. I don't do snow, but I love to look at it on the Internet. Thank you.
Renee

o

ARG!!! Even tho here in BC, we are considered the California of Canada(lol), we do get snow....but not much...usually...but with this odd weather these days, you never know what to expect! We had a very oddly overcast loooong spring, so I am hoping we have a very long warm fall! Things seem to be reblooming which is nice! And I just cast three rhubarb cememnt leaves for a future birdbath project!!! So enjoying this fall! Of course with it being bulb season again...I cannot trust myself to be leaving the house!!!ha!

o

Beautiful pictures,like the OP i like to see the snow,but am glad i don't have to shovel it anymore.When we left Maine,i said that's the last time i will have to shovel.

Kathi

o

Very pretty Thinman! :D

We've been really lucky this year here in the often frozen north and are having a very nice, long fall with only mild frosts. It was 65F today. However, I know the white stuff is coming and had my winter tires put on my truck last week just in case!

o

Oh no! I was expecting beautiful garden photos of some odd flowers blooming! There is no "winter interest". At least not here! :p

o

Thanks to all of you that said you liked the pics. It has continued to be a cold and wet week here in northern Michigan, though thankfully we haven't had a repeat appearance of the snow. Next week is predicted to be more of the same. I might have to put on the rain gear to get the last of the fall garden work done --- still have some irrigation tubing to get in and rye to be planted in what I call my front garden.

Both front and back gardens, not taken this year.

TM

o

Beautiful.

o

Very pretty!

o

Love the leaves this time of year, and this latest pic of yours shows why I love them, with the sun shining, it's like they are glowing!!!

o

Oh, so glad I checked back. The golden wood shot is lovely. Color me green with envy at all that space, TM!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here