Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

October Surprise

thinman
11 years ago

We woke up to this today.

Is this what you call winter interest?

It looks like this sunflower is bearing up pretty well.

Happily, it is melting, even as I type.

I'm not too happy with the auto-focus on my little Canon PowerShot. It seems to get easily confused. I miss my old Nikon SLR with manual everything. Wish I could afford a new one. Maybe if I ask Santa Claus ...

ThinMan

Comments (17)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

I am SO not looking forward to the day I wake up and find first snow on the ground, lol.

Isn't auto focus maddening? Especially for close-ups. Of course, that really is the least of my worries- there is a glitch with my camera and half the time I can't even get it to turn on, LOL.

PS. that tree in the first pic is incredible...
    CMK

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Oh man, I am really not ready. Last year in late October a town near here got 30". We only had 2 feet here. We really don't need that again.

• User
    11 years ago

Hmm..sittin' on the front porch and having a glass of wine with DH and I was shivering...it is..63 out !! I have a wool sweater on and shorts LOL. Your pics are SO pretty TM..but I am glad to be in the South ...c

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Bummer! (Windows open.)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh! Well, altho I really do enjoy winter and the snow; it is a little early. Love the sunflower pic.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Great pictures but snow already brrrrr. So far our fall has been wonderful, warm days and cool nights. The last couple of months have been dry, in fact if I'm not mistaken a record as far as rain is concerned, september can be a very wet month here.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I must say that your pictures made me happy that we are experiencing only temps in the low 50s! ;)

I do like snow, but in October? Not so much.
    Good pictures, TM.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Pretty pictures. I don't do snow, but I love to look at it on the Internet. Thank you.
    Renee

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

ARG!!! Even tho here in BC, we are considered the California of Canada(lol), we do get snow....but not much...usually...but with this odd weather these days, you never know what to expect! We had a very oddly overcast loooong spring, so I am hoping we have a very long warm fall! Things seem to be reblooming which is nice! And I just cast three rhubarb cememnt leaves for a future birdbath project!!! So enjoying this fall! Of course with it being bulb season again...I cannot trust myself to be leaving the house!!!ha!

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures,like the OP i like to see the snow,but am glad i don't have to shovel it anymore.When we left Maine,i said that's the last time i will have to shovel.

Kathi

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Very pretty Thinman! :D

We've been really lucky this year here in the often frozen north and are having a very nice, long fall with only mild frosts. It was 65F today. However, I know the white stuff is coming and had my winter tires put on my truck last week just in case!

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Oh no! I was expecting beautiful garden photos of some odd flowers blooming! There is no "winter interest". At least not here! :p

• thinman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all of you that said you liked the pics. It has continued to be a cold and wet week here in northern Michigan, though thankfully we haven't had a repeat appearance of the snow. Next week is predicted to be more of the same. I might have to put on the rain gear to get the last of the fall garden work done --- still have some irrigation tubing to get in and rye to be planted in what I call my front garden.

Both front and back gardens, not taken this year.
    {{gwi:631074}}

TM

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Very pretty!

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Love the leaves this time of year, and this latest pic of yours shows why I love them, with the sun shining, it's like they are glowing!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh, so glad I checked back. The golden wood shot is lovely. Color me green with envy at all that space, TM!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus