Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

Double mock orange question

natvtxn
15 years ago

It has grown to about 4 1/2 feet. But it did not bloom. Do I need to prune it. It is tall and skinny.

Comments (14)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Kathy up here Mock Oranges bloom on second year wood so pruning at the wrong time will deprive you of blooms. Is it getting enough sun? If so I'd leave it alone and maybe fertilize with something that promotes blooms not growth (low nitrogen). If you want to prune for shape, prune right after they bloom in your area.

Annette

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I don't want to worry you, but I had a mock orange from Wayside Gardens for over 15 years with nary a bloom! I finally sawed it down. I still don't know why. Then I have a very hardy one in the west yard that has even self seeded some.............no scent!

I want one with scent badly....I may try another one next spring.

15 years ago

Glenda look for Belle Etoile, this Mock Orange has amazing fragrance, I have it planted under my kitchen window when in bloom and the window is open it's fragrance drifts through the house. I can't say enough about this favorite of mine, if you get this one I think you will be very pleased.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Belle Etoile

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

My old mock orange, planted by my uncle years ago. This photo was taken in May/June of 2007.

{{gwi:757028}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I assure you the bird house and pole are not leaning like that! It's my equally old camera creating that weirdness.

15 years ago

Here's a couple close ups of my BE, I've had this shrub for years. These pix show how pretty the flowers really are. It doesn't grow as tall as some of the other varieties. A

{{gwi:757029}}

{{gwi:757030}}

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

And this mock orange is over 40 years old.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Libby, how tall is your double?
    I sure hope mine blooms like that.

If it get's as tall as SH's, I need to move it.
    The single out at the other house gets to about 6 ft.

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

It's about 15 feet tall. It gets little care. Mock Oranges can look at bit boring after flowering so I grow a clematis through it.
    I also grow a big Peace rose in front of it to cover the rather uninteresting base.

Libby

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I have those P. inodorata ones, too. Mama used to have a double that smelled just heavenly.

A dogwood came up with one of mine. The dogwood blooms first, then the mock orange extends the bloom time.

Nell

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I grew clematis in the one at the old house. It was a single.
    I heard the scent was heavenly, which is why I wanted the double.

Boring is a good word. That applies to confederate rose also.

• irishdancersgram
    14 years ago

I have a mock orange bush that is really old and we were wondering if it should be pruned in any way...It's really grown and isn't a nice looking bush but I surely don't want to loose it...It blooms every year but all the blooms are mostly on the top.....Any help will be appreciated.....

• Annie
    14 years ago

irishdancersgram,

Next spring, IMMEDIATELY AFTER it finishes blooming, cut it back. It will bush out and you should get blooms again the following year. There is a two week window to prune them back after blooming. Do it as soon as possible to ensure that you don't cut off the bloom buds on the branches. The new branches will have time to make the bloom buds for next year's flush.

~Annie

Sponsored