Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geranium's cold weather home

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 12:12

Brought the scented geraniums in their urns from the sunken garden into the barn. I think they will over winter ok as long as I keep them watered from time to time. If not, at least the urns won't be in freezing temps. The geraniums were just still so beautiful I didn't want to pitch them and I've no room in the house for them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geranium's cold weather home

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 13:25

Ah...a pelargonium, actually. I have a similar one that smells just like Irish Spring soap! Don't blame you for trying to overwinter it, they're great plants. Good luck!

o

The nursery where I buy them every year just labels them "Scented Geraniums" so that's what I call them. Thanks for info. Don't they have the prettiest foliage? This one is a sage almost silver green and smells like roses. The bloom is small and a pink color.

I should chop them up and dry the pieces for a potpourri. Is that even possible?

o

Also use as a cold/flu remedy..see link below. Wonderful in a tea. I love the sun coming through the barn window...just looks so lovely. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Umcka by Nature's Way

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 17:25

Give the potpourri project a try. What have you got to lose?

o

oh, I love them. Cuttings will usually root easily in water! They overwinter inside just fine -- I've been growing mine for a LONG time. :) For the lushest growth, give them as much light as possible indoors. Cut back or pinch as req'd to control the size and shape. Put cuttings (usually 6" - 8") in a cup of water to root them... and since cuttings are small they have a better chance of getting a prime spot for maximum sun exposure. One winter they had good light indoors and bloomed for the first and only time. :)

o

How often should I water them if they remain in the barn? Just enough to keep them moist? I'd have to put something under the urns to catch the water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here