Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reginaz_gw

Late June Garden (3 Pictures & Link)

reginaz
15 years ago

Well things are winding down around here and I'm looking forward to my winter quilting. I'm not looking forward to cleaning all my flats but the plus side is that growing plants from seed is one of the most rewarding aspects of gardening for me. Some plants that did well for me this year were Nicotiana species, Emilia, Salvia farinacea, Shirley Poppies, Cynoglosum, and fragrant sweet peas. On the down side, I'm removing two roses that have Rose Rosette Disease. And some parts of my garden are starting to look like a jungle!

Anyway, here are the late June Pictures:

My Gardens

Comments (33)

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I want that porch and all that goes with it. Oh, if only I had a knack for roses. Thank you for the eye candy. You have to be proud. Sigh.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

Reginaz your gardens are amazing! Yours was one of the first gardens I saw when I came on the CG forum, and I have been in love with them ever since.

I am SO SORRY to hear about your roses. I have two roses that I think may have the dreadful Downy Mildew. I asked on the rose forum but they couldn't be positive since I didn't have a pic. Next spring I may have to toss them out. ;-( This will be my first time throwing away a rose, though I am sure every gardener has faced that same problem at least once.
    Thank you so much for posting again!
    CMK

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I just clicked on the link, I remember this garden, too! Look at those Sweet Williams, I love them. Your garden looks like a museum garden. Double sigh.

• jxa44
    15 years ago

regina,

your garden gets prettier with every passing season :-) Some of your color combinations are my absolute favs -- the irises with the poppies come to mind. but i'm also a real suck er for lavenders and terra cottas too -- blues do best here in my garden heat (and strangely the critters seem to leave most of those plants alone too).

your garden gives me such inspiration :-)

• natvtxn
    15 years ago

OH MY, in my wildest dreams mine will never look that beautiful. Is that the payoff for puting up with your cold winters?

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Pretty, pretty, pretty.

What a long time until spring.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Gorgeous gardens! I mean this in the nicest way that there is something of an old-fashioned appeal to the gardens...timeless and welcoming.

Cameron

• kristin_flower
    15 years ago

What a wonderful secret garden you have! It's to die for.

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

I looked at the 4 albums that didn't require a password. What a beautiful place you have!

Sue

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Wow, what a rosy paradise!! The poppies are gorgeous too.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I didn't realize I could open the albums: reginaz, every photo took my breath away.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

A garden full of old world charm, it reminds me of my Gramps garden at the beach. Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden, I thoroughly enjoyed the tour.

Annette

• thinman
    15 years ago

And some parts of my garden are starting to look like a jungle! Then I want a jungle too! Add my gushing to the list -- really beautiful beautiful gardens and grounds! I gotta make more flower beds around here and get way more roses and learn how to grow them, and it would sure help if I had some of your talent.

Outstanding, Reginaz!

ThinMan

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Your gardens are indeed beautiful. I know I could never keep up with work and all your gardens so at this point you'll have to keep posting your pictures so I can dream of a yard like that. So relaxing to sit back and tour your gardens.

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

Utterly romantic! I love all those roses. Given that you are basically in the same zone/area as I am, I'm amazed at what you achieved, I guess japanese beetles, blackspot, and deer don't exist in your paradise.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

What a lovely cottage garden, thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!

• reginaz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for all the nice things you said. This garden is a constant challenge for me. I could write a book about all the problems I've had to deal with. But as anyone with a garden knows, there obstacles to overcome. Woven through it are the ups and downs of everyday life . There have been many rewards and surprises along the way.
    schoolhouse: The sweet william is the easiest thing to grow from seed, just make sure you get the "old fashioned" sweet william.
    thinman: It's easy to grow roses if you grow the right ones for your climate. I grow mostly old ramblers, species roses and a few hybrid musks. I just dig a square 2feet x 2feet x 2feet deep. Then I improve the soil what ever way I can, homemade compost, peatmoss, top soil, whatever I have. I used to make my own soil but that's getting harder to do because my horse died this spring. I buy own-root roses from mail order.
    gottagarden: I do have Japanese beetles, black spot and deer. This year the JB's were bad but worse last year. I use Milky Spores, knock then into coffee can in the evening and this year I did use the traps. Also, there are roses that bloom in early June and others in late June. The JB's do their worst damage here the middle of July. There are some here eariler but it's usually when the roses are almost finished. The black spot I just ignore. There are always flowers and shrubs in bloom to distract me from that. I have a deer fence around the perimeter of my yard. We have a herd of about 10 that is here morning and evening.

• jxa44
    15 years ago

reginaz,

I love old roses -- which ones are you growing in these pix?

joyce

• lori_elf z6b MD
    15 years ago

Your gardens are beautiful and very artful! I'm another fan of the "jungle" look. I'm sorry to hear about your Rose Rosette problem -- I've had some losses in the past. There are many challenges to garden here as well, so it's comforting to hear from others who have to deal with obstacles and still pull together something magical.

• reginaz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joyce- In the first picture is American Pillar in the background and Dorothy Perkins in the foreground. In the second picture Excelsa in the foreground and Minnehaha in the background. In the third picture it is Robin Hood, a hybrid musk in the background. All the others are ramblers. From what I've read, some ramblers such as Dorothy Perkins need a "cold period". I don't know if the others roses I mentioned would do well in Fla. There is someone on the forum that grow some ramblers in Alabama. Other people on the rose forum talk about growing roses in Fla. grafted onto Fortuneana stock. There are many ramblers suitable for the south, I grow ones more suited for the north. I hope this has been helpful. Regina

• newbiehavinfun
    15 years ago

My goodness, how lovely! Your gardens are an inspiration and an aspiration for me!

• derelictgardener
    15 years ago

Very very nice photos. I love the porch and the fullness of your garden.

Mihai

• shropshire_lad
    15 years ago

I love your garden! I just have to know, what kinds of poppies do you use?

• reginaz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I grow all kinds of poppies from seed, both annual and perennial. Here are some of the annual ones I grow:
    papaver paeoniflorum
    papaver somniferum "Lauren's Grape"
    papaver rhoeas "Angels' Choir" or Shirley Poppies. These are the ones in the picture. It's fun to try new and different ones each year. Regina

• shropshire_lad
    15 years ago

It's like you peeked into my mind's dictionary, found the page where I define "Heaven", and modeled your garden after it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I think this post should be brought to the top every so often throughout the coming cold winter just so we can dream of next season.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

drool.

• janen
    15 years ago

Regina - I never tire of looking at your beautiful garden. Will it be on tour this June? Thanks again for sharing it with us. Janen

• token28001
    15 years ago

The roses are stunning. I'm looking for a good climbing rose.

Wow. Beautiful.

• Annie
    15 years ago

Breathtaking!

Love your roses and arbors. Love all the foundation trees and shrubs too. They give your flowers just a wonderful backdrop.

It is heavenly.
    Thank you for allowing us to view your site. What an amazing vista.

Annie

• memo3
    15 years ago

I missed your pictures earlier, Regina. I must say that I'm I very glad they resurfaced because it is always such a pleasure to see pictures from your garden. I'm so sorry about the rose disease. It seems I am hearing more and more about it. I hope this is the last of it for you.

MeMo

• reginaz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again everyone. Right now I'm almost finished with my quilt that I started in January of 2008. I am also washing my flats to start my seeds in March. I won't being doing a tour this year because I just had one 2 years ago. As far as the RRR disease, I just take one out and put in another! Not in the same place though. I also have to repair all the fences that are being pulled down by my roses.

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

wow - absolutely stunning - if that is considered a jungle - I must be a jungle gal - I could wander around there forever and always find something new. That is exactly the look I strive for. I can't do the roses like you have but I do have the clematis that I have in every single garden - I am up to 23 clematis now. They are my rose substitute. Thank you so much for sharing your garden with us ......

Lynne

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living