Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

A wreath for the gate

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

It's such a pretty day, I felt the urge to gather bounty from all parts of the property to make a Fall wreath for the gate. The wind is blowing, so I thought I'd better snap a pic before the wreath is rearranged.

{{gwi:757349}}

{{gwi:757352}}

Comments (17)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

That is beautiful Christine! It looks perfect on the gate- inviting the passer-by to come in and see the rest of the garden. Did you use a wire frame, or something else? I love to do something similar in the fall by putting spent flowerheads and branches in the half wine barrel planter. Only downside is that there are millions of seedlings in it every spring, lol!
    Great job on the wreath...
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Christine, your wreath is gorgeous, compared to last year this year our fall color is the pits. Right now it's raw, raining and very dismal looking outside. A good day to stay inside maybe make another batch of raspberry freezer jam, watch a couple of old movies and cook a roast for dinner.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks CMK and Annette. I used an old grapevine wreath I bought at JoAnn Fabrics years ago and just kept sticking things in wherever they would fit. Didn't need any wire, but like I say the wind may decide otherwise.

I think today must be the most perfect Fall day yet, but a day of old movies and a roast for dinner doesn't sound bad either!

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

How very pretty and the best part of all - it was free!!!! - I do that with hydrangea blossoms - makes a beautiful fall wreath plus long lasting indoor arrangements .....

Lynne

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh I forgot about the dried hydrangea. That's what inspired me to begin the wreath in the first place, the shrub is right off the back porch and as I drank my coffee I thought I should really snip some flower heads before it rains later this week. They do last a long while, perhaps I'll go back out and cut some, tie them together and hang them in the pantry.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

So pretty. Love the colors on the green of the gate. Hope the wind didn't batter it!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- Your wreath is beautiful! While the hydrangea is very nice, I like the leaves and berries, too.

It's raining here...and has been for a few days, now. Old movies, a nice cup of hot tea, and maybe roasted chicken for dinner, sounds like a great idea :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

LL, Roast Chicken sounds sooooo good, we haven't had one this month, note to self.... buy a chicken next time I shop.
    Yesterday I ended up doing a roast pork rubbed down with dijon mustard and fresh rosemary, mashed potatoes, broccoli spears, candied yams and mushroom gravy. Comfort food for a blah day :).

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. This morning I tweaked the wreath a bit by pushing that corn stalk sticking to far out to the right, further back.

Since this has gone OT about hot drink and cozy meals, I'll add that I bought ingredients yesterday to make "White Bean and Sausage" soup one day this week. The chicken broth and generous dash of thyme makes it smell so good while cooking and taste good too.

As I was digging out the recipe I found one for "Skillet Biscuit Bread" - made with buttermilk. I think I'll have to go buy a quart of buttermilk and try making this bread instead of the usual corn muffins to go with my soup.

Today it is overcast but very pleasant. Someone is burning a huge pile of leaves somewhere far across the way, I see the smoke and can smell them burning.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I LOVE your wreath! I should try to make one for my gate, I haven't been able to do much fall decorating and haven't even bought a pumpkin yet, and that is so cheerful! I imagine it will last a long time too.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I like that wreath. I should try to do something for my two sheltered doors.

We are having very strong winds and I don't think one would last long outside! A cold front is moving in, down in the 30's so all that great food mentioned will taste perfect.

Speaking of comfort foods, I will be cooking a big pot of beans tomorrow...that will require cornbread to go with my latest homemade butter.

Roast chicken sounds good too. DH reminded me I have three in the freezer....that will be on the menu one day soon.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

You guys are all making me hungry! What a bunch of yummy food everyone has planned! It is getting to be that time of year for warm, comfort foods.

Schoolhouse, I would seriously pay good money for that wreath. You did such a great job with the plant material choices and design, and it looks perfect on the green gate. I love the second photo with a glimps of what lies beyond the gate. Very pretty!

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

That wreath is gorgeous and so autumn looking.

All that talk about delicious food, makes my stomach rumble.

FlowerLady

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, your wreath is gorgeous and looks as if it could be from a high-end shop! Hope the winds abate and it lasts a long time.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

Your wreath is just beautiful and the fact that it all came from your garden makes it all the more special. I love it.

And speaking of cooking, I just made a big pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions, peas and lots of different herbs. I made it for company and it was a big hit. Everyone seems to be in the mood for home cooking in the fall. Pumpkin ice cream and brownies for dessert. So glad there were leftovers!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Speaking of cooking, we just processed the rest of the basil for pesto and put it in the freezer. Over the weekend we had Fajitas and apple crisp and Pumpkin muffins with hot cocoa for breakfast. I love Fall cooking too! Pot Roast will be on the menu as soon as it gets a little colder.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

That wreath is lovely!

Ah yes. Fall and winter cooking. I made the first pot of chile for this fall and we enjoyed it so much. And the molasses cookies! So good!
    kay

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations