Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Ideas for fragrance garden

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I've been stuck in the house this past week (I hate summer colds) but it's given me the chance to rethink some of my garden ideas.

I was planning to have a second vegetable garden (for the big veggies) over against the lilac hedge, but now I'm thinking a fragrance garden might be a better idea. I could probably include a few roses, if I put a lot of lavender in front of them. The deer don't seem to bother the roses as much, if they're against a structure or hedge.

Not everything has to be fragrant, but I would like to have seasonally fragrant plants and more of a romantic feel to this garden. I'd also like to use my antique bricks for a little patio area. The lilac hedge is on the west side and there are two small sheds on the south side. There's still a lot of sun in this area, except in the very corner, where I'd like to put the patio. This would also be a good spot for some climbing roses that can take a little shade.

The entire space is about 18' to 20' square, but I can design it as any shape, as long as I take into account the placement of the lilacs and sheds. Any ideas or suggestions? You all know I love purple, lavender, white and pink, but all colors are welcome.

The bricks are kind of a rose color. I don't have a way to cut them, but I am open to ideas about design, etc. Thanks in advance and pictures are always a big help, if anyone has any ideas :)

Comments (13)

• luckygal
    13 years ago

LL have you tried ginger/lemon tea with honey? It's great for colds. I never get colds as use essential oils regularly.

You might find some good ideas at the Fragrant Plants forum: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/fragrant/

The link I posted at the bottom is also good.

I've been really happy with my common purple petunias this year. I usually plant them in full sun but this year used them as a border for my new rose garden which only gets sun for 6-7 hours. The petunias have done really well and the scent is wonderful when the windows are open on that side or when I go out on the nearby deck. I haven't noticed that the Waves have much fragrance.

Sweet peas are one of my fav scented flowers altho I haven't had success with them. Need to start them earlier I think.

I also like lilies of the valley which are not invasive here altho might spread more for you. I keep mine in dry and lean soil under coniferous trees so they spread very slowly. Note to self - move some to better soil so they can become invasive! ;-D

Some Oriental lilies are highly fragrant - I have one, altho can't remember right off which it is, that smells divine. Pinks (Dianthus) is also lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant plants list

• rockin_zappy
    13 years ago

I know I'm new, but I just had to add my 2 cents. One of my favorite fragrant plants is Clove Currant, (Ribes Odoratum), also called Buffalo Currant. My grandmother had one of these (she called it "clove bush") and I fell in love with it. It blooms in mid to late spring with little yellow flowers with red centers. The scent is spicy, strong enough to carry on a breeze, and absolutely wonderful. It also produces little fruits which I've heard are edible and very tasty. I don't see these very often, which is too bad, because I think everyone should have one!

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I have never seen clove currant, but you can bet I'll be looking for it, as it is native to Missouri! I think High Country Gardens has it for sale.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Can I put in a suggestion for some early flowering fragrant shrubs as permanent structure which would extend your scented season? I'm thinking of things like Hamamelis, Mahonia 'Charity', Daphne odora, D mezereum etc. I don't know which ones would be hardy for you. And also for fragrant spring bulbs to get the season off to an early start?

• seamommy
    13 years ago

My favorite flower in a fragrant garden is tall garden pflox. About 3' tall, colorful deep pink and they smell wonderful. Cheryl

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Hope your feeling better LL! I got a little bit of a flu myself, knocked me out for a couple days!
    If the area you have is big enough for a shrub with a 1 month bloom time, then i really recommend Ruby Spice Clethra. Itll fade into the background when its not blooming but the scent when it does bloom is awesome! Also there is a scented verbinum i noticed at the nursery in the spring that was quite the scent thrower! I dont know the exact name tho.
    I have some stargazers that smell great too!
    I cant smell peonies for some reason, but everyone seems to love how they smell, and they are pretty !

As for the bricks, you could leave spaces in between in a pattern for creeping thyme maybe? Or moss? I was trying to find a pic of whats in my mind, but something like a sun or a circle shape ?

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

As a replacement for the strong heavy scents of some southern plants which can saturate the air, somebody suggested Nicotiana alata for our zone. It's an annual, but she said the scent is heavenly and easy to smell in the air as night comes.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Nicotiana alata is biennial in my z 6b garden. Wonderful as a background in my hosta beds, and yes, sooo fragrant! I love it! It reseeds rather well, of course not where I want it, but it transplants easily.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I have Nicotiana alata and Hosta 'Royal Standard' outside the family room windows. The fragrance is wonderful with both of these and strongest at night. However, what few deer pass through the yard have been known to munch on this hosta.

Also fragrant and suitable for a smaller garden are sweet alyssum; assorted Dianthus; assorted Phlox; Buddleia; snowball Viburnum (V. carlesii 'Compactum'); some Echinaceas; and my fragrant peonies include 'Duchess de nemours', 'Festiva maxima' and 'Rosea plena'.

It's a shame that common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) likes to run, the fragrance is heavenly.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Don't forget peonies! A true classic!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

If you have anything for it to climb on, what about honeysuckle? (Serotina Florida is much better behaved than the wild japanese honeysuckle)... You might like sweet autumn clematis, too.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Aloysia virgata aka sweet almond verbena.

Mine is about 15 ft. tall and 8 ft. wide.
    Saturday a friend walked through my back yard and said, What smells so good?".

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet almond

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for so many wonderful ideas!

I've been making lots of plant lists, doing some research for zone hardiness, as well as safety around horses and kitties...and kiddies LOL.

I'm very excited about this new garden. I probably won't start working on it, until next summer, but it gives me lots of time to plan...and to take advantage of next year's mid-summer sales :)

Please keep the ideas coming. Thank you all, again, for your excellent suggestions.

Sponsored