Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

The colors of fall in my garden - ha!! (8 pix)

gottagarden
17 years ago

You may have heard about our freak snowstorm in Buffalo, either from the news or from Tracy. For those of you not from the area, this much snow so early really IS unusual, even for Buffalo :-) The most expensive storm EVER for WNY in terms of damage.

It also caught us completely by surprise. We hadn't even had a frost yet. It started snowing Thursday afternoon and we had about 2 inches when I went to sleep. The weatherman said maybe another inch or so. Imagine my shock when I woke up the next day to 18 inches on the ground!!!

Anyways, it does look beautiful. Here's my garden in October.

The side garden.

Hard to believe the arbors collected this much snow.

My picnic table looks like a wedding cake.

Hammock ride anyone?

{{gwi:641690}}

This arbor was covered with beautiful clematis violacea venosa the day before.

My back bed. Later I will post more pictures with flowers in them on this new bed.

What's wrong with this picture? Fall foliage is not supposed to be contrasting with snow!

Comments (22)

• rosebush
    17 years ago

So pretty! Great photos! You must have a lovely garden under all that snow. :)

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

I agree, your garden does look beautiful. It's all there, just under a protective covering of snow. :-)

The picture with the pond and the tree in full color is worthy of a magazine cover. Gorgeous!!

There is something so pure about a fresh snowfall. You've captured it beautifully.

Marilyn

• daisydo
    17 years ago

My goodness, such a change. Clematis in the snow. But the pond picture truly is beautiful! Can't believe I was so upset over a light frost.

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Spectacular pictures and landscape. It looks so peaceful. Sometimes I wish we had snow. My dogs would love it.

Edna

• BecR
    17 years ago

What beautiful pictures! Esp love the violet clematis on the snowcovered trellis, the autumnal leaves still on the trees in the snow, and your 'cool' hammock---how unusual! Thanx for sharing the beauty.
    -Becky

• broodyjen
    17 years ago

Neato!

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops, forgot the most important photo - my kids absolutely loved it! It was like waking up on Christmas morning. We made a snowman, went sledding, threw snowballs, and had hot chocolate.

• pat_tea
    17 years ago

That is so darn pretty. I love it. I agree you did a wonderful job of capturing it in photos. WOW! My favorite is the 2nd one. . . Magical!

• pansyface2006
    17 years ago

love your snow pictures especially the pond.
    Barb

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

What beautiful pictures! I can just feel the cold, the stillness and quiet, the wonder of it all. That is NOT something we see down here in hot/humid south FL. Thank you for sharing your early winter beauty with us here. Loved the picture of your kids with the snowman too.

FlowerLady

• georich5
    17 years ago

Gorgeous!! I can almost smell that very special smell of wet snow. My DH groaned when I showed him the hammock!!!!
    Snowman shot--priceless.

georgeanne

• balsam
    17 years ago

WHOA! I heard you'd been pounded with snow down there - guess it's true!

The pictures are lovely, but in OCTOBER???! Oh, I'll take my snow in January, please. Hope you can manage to get everything cleaned up and put away before the "real" snow comes ;)

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Wow! what a beautiful winter wonderland!
    I can't even imagine having that much snow in Oct, and I live in Colorado!

The picture with the pond and the tree's beautiful color popping through the snow, is just amazing!

Haziemoon

• happyintexas
    17 years ago

Wow! How beautiful!

Thanks for sharing. We had a lot of fun looking at them.

Happy

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Wow,what beautiful pictures.You should look into selling them to a calendar co.

I have several nieces in Buffalo,and i know they lost power for a few days.When my sister was talking to one of them,she said she had to go get in her van to get warm.

Snow while beautiful is one thing i do not miss about the east coast.I'll settle for looking at pictures of it.TFS
    Kathi

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

I have been scrolling back and forth looking at your pictures in awe. My favorites are also the 2nd one, with the arches covered in snow, and the pond one. What beauties! I realize this might not be what you would expect for October, but for us in warm climates where snow never falls this is simply beautiful! Thank you for sharing your "freak" Winter wonderland with us.

Eduarda

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

May i send the link to your pictures to my sister downstate from you in Washingtonville,N.Y. She would love to see these,but i don't want to send them without your permission.TIA
    Kathi

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sure, send away, I posted them for others to see. Glad to hear you are enjoying them.

BTW - the silver lining: Countless trees were literally destroyed by this storm because the trees still had leaves that held the snow. All that weight just cracked massive trees and little ones alike. ( Trees can handle the snow if they don't have leaves. ) I flagged down a highway crew chipping up all the broken limbs, gave them fresh baked still-warm chocolate chip cookies and milk and then asked if they would dump a few loads of chips behind my barn. I got 4 truckloads! Wonderful, I really needed to remulch all my paths, and now I have plenty.

• kareen
    17 years ago

My cousin left at the beginnig of the month for Indonesia and was inquiring about the storm you had. I sent her your pictures which she really enjoyed and am sure made her homesick for her beautiful property near Saratoga. Kareen

• sowngrow (8a)
    17 years ago

OMG! Your pictures are beautiful but painful in a way- especially as I look at the clematis poking out from the snow! I hope winter isn't arriving early here in N. Texas. We got down to 38 last night and I've got a couple dozen gourds that are close to maturing. Give me a few more weeks please! I love the picture of your kids with the snowman! Beautiful! And, good going with the mulch!
    Robin

• friend
    17 years ago

OH gooness. i am suddenly craving hot cocoa. LOL

that 2nd pic is amazing- and the pond too. Your place is huge and beautiful! send more pics :)

Nice score on the wood chips! good going!

• natalie4b
    17 years ago

Fantastic! I miss snow - the feel of it, the smell, childhood memories, the beauty and crispiness. Was born and raised in Russia, and now living in warm and wonderful GA,USA.

Great pictures!! Thank you for sharing.

-Natalie

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH