Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Overwintering Plants- your experiences?

Haven't posted in awhile! Well, it is officially that time of year again (here at least) when things are dying down for the season. Last week I brought in most of the tender plants I wanted to try overwinter indoors. You should see the basement and living room, it is like a jungle of terra cotta and plants in there!! Have no clue where I will find space for seed starting trays this spring though...

I thought it would be interesting to talk about the plants we like to keep overwinter indoors (or garage) and our favorite methods of doing so. Usually I put any half hardy plants in my terra cotta pots (since those can't stay outside either) and then lug the whole thing in when it turns cold.

This year I have:

Scented Geranium

Pelargoniums (annual geraniums)- in plastic and terra cotta pots in the basement. They look terrible for awhile, but usually perk back up in a couple of months. They also have a habit of blooming again during winter, which is always nice to see!

Lemon Verbena

Lemon Grass

Golden (culinary) Sage

Rosemary- somehow managed to overwinter last winter too, although it looked like a mess in spring.

Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnus)

Then I also put a few Crocosmia corms in a pot, which I plan to burlap and put in the shed- just in case it is another bad winter. I don't want to loose those beauties again!!

Here is a pic of the Eucalyplus and Canna I am trying out this year. Wish I had thought of this combo before, lol!

{{gwi:758256}}

How do you guys usually keep your cannas? Do you like to store the tubers dry? I put mine in a pot, since past experience storing Dahlias dry wasn't good. Had much better luck planting them in a pot and putting them in a very cool and dark basement.

How about you? What do you overwiner indoors? What worked and what didn't?

CMK

Comments (7)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

I overwinter a big pot of 3 plumeria plants (next year will be year 3 so hopefully well have blooms!) and this year i got baby orange and a lime tree from lowes for a dollar, and i want to give them a try too. I have a spare bedroom ill put them in front of a window and thats it!
    If i had more space id save geraniums and mandevilla. Someday ill get a greenhouse! lol

I miss your posts! I hope everything has been good and you had a good garden season!

• luckygal
    13 years ago

BTDT with the indoor 'jungle'! Was fun but too much work now. If I had a sunroom I might do it again as I could then keep my 'plant-eating-cat' away from them.

Lilyfinch, your citrus trees should do fine. Years ago I grew some from seed and put them outdoors in the summer, indoors in the winter.

I used to overwinter various plants. Tried to keep Rosemary over several winters but with limited success so I seeded plants and bot others. Thymes, sage, parsley, and oregano are others I used to bring in and keep on my kitchen windowsill - last winter they survived outdoors anyhow. I used to bring in chives to use also altho they do well outdoors. I never found the herbs lasted all that well indoors with our long winters so no longer do that. They were usually good for 2-3 months then compost.

When I grew coleus they always did well when brought indoors altho need to be kept well trimmed - of course I always potted up the 'trimmings' so would have lots of plants by spring!

When I lived in Europe my landlady would trim back her geraniums, plant the cuttings, and keep them all in an unheated attic.

The only plant I'm attempting to overwinter this year is my Lavender Dentata 'Serenity' which is a zone 8 plant I bot as an annual. However, it's been such a nice plant that after I took cuttings for potpourri I decided to move it indoors. It's growing well and is even budding altho on short stems. I have it in a south window and am not watering much so I'm hoping it makes it thru the winter. It's a good one to have in my house as I like to touch it for the scent and the 'plant-eating-cat' doesn't like it.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

I'm trying double impatiens, and mandavilla. The first set of impatiens cuttings didn't make it but I'm going to try again if I get out there before they are done for.

• reginaz
    13 years ago

I did overwinter my lemon verbena last year and it did fine. Some of the leaves fell off but they quickly grew back. I kept it in a sunny window and watered it when it was dry. It is 3ft. tall and I will overwinter it again this year. I also tried rosemary and it seemed to work for a few years then it died.
    I do overwinter many shrubs and perennials outside by burying them in the ground in their pots and most of them survive.

• scully931
    13 years ago

I've all but given up on overwintering my things. I have a lovely sunroom, but it is far too cold in the winter. With a small house, three cats and (usually) foster cats it becomes impossible to make space and keep both plants and kitties safe.

I did bring in three lovely hibiscus this year. That's about it.

Decided it's just easier to buy my dahlias, cannas and elephant ears each year. I admire those of you who manage to overwinter so many things!

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Mandevillas get cut back to about 12" and kept under the house in the crawl space - hubby waters them about once a month

Boston Ferns - have tried to keep them over the winter both in the crawl space and in the house - in the house they are far too messy. They do keep alive under the house but take a long time to really green back up in the spring so now we just buy new ones each spring

always bring the specialty begonias (not the annual wax begonias tho) into the house to enjoy - success rate is about 75% for the rex begonias. The dragon wings and angel wings get spindly but I start new plants in March and they are ready to go outside when it is warm enough

I have a room that is 13x21 and would make the perfect sunroom - money is a factor in converting it although I do keep a fair amount of houseplants there now. My dream is to take out the carpenting and put in a slate or tile floor, sink, long countertops and a couple more windows - exposure is perfect ~~awe one can dream :) .....

Lynne

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

-lilyfinch, thank you! That is sure nice of you to say...;-)

Well, put coleus on my list too. I just recieved some gorgeous coleus cuttings in a trade. Can't wait to pot them up- they are even pretty indoors!

-luckygal, I know what you mean. When they are all outside it doesn't look like a lot of things to bring in. But then you got to lug em' across the lawn, up the three concrete back steps, thru the kitchen into the livingroom, or down eight stairs to the basement, lol! Halfway into it you start to ask yourself if it is really worth it!
    CMK

Sponsored