Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Rose question

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I know a lot of you love roses, as I do, so I wanted to ask your opinion.

I'm thinking of adding a fragrance garden, by the lilac hedge and would like to try some shady and sunny roses in this area. It's the most protected spot on our place, so I think I could zone push to zone 5.

Fluffy pink roses and smaller light pink and white roses are what I'm thinking of for this area. I want a more romantic area, with an antique brick patio for a small table and two chairs. I'm hoping to put lattices behind the seating area for the roses. I also plan to include some purple clematis...and maybe some white. Honeysuckle is not good for the horses and annual vines don't grow fast enough in my area...so clematis and roses seem to work best.

Herbs and other fragrant plants will also be included, so if you have any favorites, please add them, as well. Thank you for any advice and pictures are always fun, too :)

Comments (10)

• serenae
    13 years ago

I love my Iceberg climbing rose! It has a few bloom periods throughout the spring and into fall, and seems vigorous - smells lovely too.

It would have the added benefit for you that you could train it onto one of your lattices!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I second serenae on the Iceberg rose! Mine is a shrub, not a climber, but it is a continual bloomer, and we are in a severe droughtthis year. We had a stretch of 56 days in the 100 and over or very slightly under range with hardly any rain, and still Iceberg blooms.

The Fairy rose seems to be an excellent blooming smaller pink rose.

Pink Garnette has a darker/brighter pink bloom, but the fragrance wafts across the garden and it is heavenly. Lady Like is a pink hybrid tea, and it has that same type of sweet fragrance. It has bloomed repeatedly this hot, dry year. It has lovely blooms that will open fully in a vase and last for several days.

I took a page out of your book and ordered lavender to go in my new rose garden. I also plan to sow sweet allysum...I love it at the base of my roses, and I'm planning to plant clematis. Roses and clematis just go together, don't they. And what about a few lillies? I have about 25 new ones coming and I am adding some of them to the rose area.
    Isn't it fun to plan that kind of area?

kay

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for the rose suggestions :)

Kay- Roses with lavender, clematis, lillies and alyssum. It sounds beautiful...and is giving me some ideas! LOL

• rosecorgis
    13 years ago

Hi Lavendar Lass,

Have you thought of Pretty Jessica, the Austin? It's pink (candy pink in cooler weather, a more pale pink in hot weather) and stays small. My mature one is about 3 ft high in the ground. I have another newer one in a pot that's 2 ft high.

I've read that it does well in cold areas (I think the poster was from Maine) but I don't know what zone.

It's worth checking out. I just love mine.

Debbie

• Kiskin
    13 years ago

I second to Fairy - lovely small pink flowers, continuous bloom, cascading growing habit.

Harlow Carr of Austins is another favourite of mine with its fluffy lavender-pink flowers and a scent that is out of this world!

Yet another scented favourite: Paris 2000 - the flower colour reminds me of apple-blossoms.

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

How about Abraham Darby? I checked on Antique Rose Emporium, it says it's good from Zone 5 and above. It does get large, but I've found I can whack him back quite a bit and it bothers him not at all. Not a pretty bush (IMO)and is quite thorny but oh, the flowers and the scent make up for any flaws it has! Mine grows in morning sun only, and as long as I deadhead, it just keeps on keeping on. Took some to work this morning, everyone was oohing and aahing over the scent. It's kind of a peachy color with a little yellow, but doesn't seem to clash with the pinks. I guess you can tell this is one of my favorites!

Good luck, I love your idea.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

How about the David Austin rose "Heritage"? It's got Iceberg as a parent, I believe. It always has a few blooms or buds all summer, and has very few thorns. Hyde Hall is also a good rose, but not very tall. If you don't mind almost no repeat bloom, Theresa Bugnet is a good all-round rose. She looks good even when she's not blooming, with her red stems and blue-green leaves.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    13 years ago

My favorite rose is a shrub rose called "Victorian Memory" it's an old fashioned rose with a great fragrance, and almost NO thorns! Because I am borderline zone 3-4 and don't have time to baby hybrids, all my roses have to hold their own. This one was planted in 2007 and is doing beautifully!

Jenny P

• themayocynic
    13 years ago

Evelyn roses would do well in a slightly shady spot (so their colors don't fade).

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

lavender_lass.
    I planted the lavender, pink lilies, peonies and foxgloves in and around the roses. I plan to have sweet alyssum for my outside border, and I may plant some bronze fennel as well in the springtime. I have a few more roses on order for spring (I need to stay off the vintage site.)
    kay

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting