Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
COmpanionn PLanting for Herbs?

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 13:57

I planted a pot for my deck this spring, with basil, sage. and marigolds. I used fresh enriched soil, but the plants were stunted. Water,sun - all were in abundance, but little to no growth.....any ideas?

TIa - Nancy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: COmpanionn PLanting for Herbs?

hey Nancy,
my Guess is it was the "fresh enriched soil". OK, it sound great!, as a nursery grower... I only purchase a perlite, peatmoss mix. Hopefully we all do. We need to know what exactly is in the mix. AKA No nutrients. Just so we know what to add for each specific plant. blah , blah , blah. lol
I think your mix had a tad too much nitrogen. As hard as they try, mixes vary from batch to batch. Too much nitrogen can either , stunt, kill, or cause irregular detrimental growth on any plant. or it could have been something else , like too much potassium.
I bet your mix will be fine to use next year.
Then again it could be filled with pathogens that will kill anything you plant. lol highly unlikely! just a joke!
I would let it age over winter in a safe pot ( winter safe) and try it again in the spring. If the growth looks bad by May, dump into your compost. and the compost WILL eat any bad pathogens. Then you can feel free to add to your ground gardens. Check out the compost site on the garden web for more info.
:) Laura

o

Thanks Laura. I think I'm going to try to salvage the sage plant to bring indoors in a separate pot. The other plants I will compost in a not-reusable pile and I'll put the remaining soil on the lawn. It's funny, cause that bag of soil did several small containers, and the rest were fine - it's all magic to me!!

Nancy.

o

stunted? maybe the soil was compacted? or maybe overwatering is an issue, or maybe too many plants in a small space?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here