Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self seeding annuals in zone 4

Posted by greenthumbon1hand 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 14:03

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these annuals self-sowing, and if so, what varieties?

Balsam
Calendula
Moss Rose
Bachelor's Buttons
Cerinthe
Cosmos
Snapdragons
Bells of Ireland

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self seeding annuals in zone 4

I have had cosmos self-seed (one of the tall pink and white mixes) and Portulaca (AKA moss rose), whatever the common double mix that my local greenhouse carries. Sorry not to be more helpful with varieties.

Most of the others I haven't grown, so I don't know about, but snapdragon Black Prince and calendula never self-seeded for me.

A few other annuals I have had self-seed:
- Johnny jump-ups, a type of viola
- Nicotiana (AKA flowering tobacco) I like for its lovely evening scent (sort of vanilla-y) and its long bloom from mid-July until a good frost, so that it is the most prolific bloomer in my garden during the late fall. I planted it once about 10 years ago . . .
- Verbena bonariensis has light airy purple flowers beginning in August here.
- Petunias (occasionally)
- Alyssum

All of these pull easily if they volunteer where not wanted and will return for many years in this zone.

Cleome, on the other hand, was a bit of a pest and took several years to eliminate after I had let it go to seed one year.

o
RE: Self seeding annuals in zone 4

Moss roses, cosmos, and snapdragons self seed for me. The snapdragons come up late and bloom late but are vigorous and full of blooms. After a couple of years moss roses have made a thick mass in the dry soil under my mailbox. The first couple of years I moved seedlings next to each other. Now I just wait for them to germinate and grow and bloom.

I use leaf mulch in much of my gardens and don't know if others listed self seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here