Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Where do you find your inspiration?

lavender_lass
9 years ago

I know many of us are constantly looking at pictures on the Internet, magazines, books...even TV and movies for garden ideas. (It's just as bad with kitchens, over on that forum! LOL)

Where do you find your inspiration? Do you base your garden ideas on a family's garden, one you grew up with or something you see in your research?

One of my favorite gardens, is from the movie 'Practical Magic'. Another is from 'The Good Witch's Garden' which is so fun, even if many of the plants are probably silk. But both have old houses with somewhat formal layouts...but plants spilling out onto pathways and wonderful combinations of plants.

Here's a few of my favorites (mostly of the potager) from 'Practical Magic' but also 'The Good Witch' and 'Under the Tuscan Sun'...also a wonderful house!

Please share your favorites, too, with or without pictures :)

Practical Magic {{gwi:758847}}From TV kitchens
{{gwi:758849}}From TV kitchens
{{gwi:758851}}From TV kitchens

The Good Witch...the garden is on the side, but still looking for a good photo. The second one shows a little of the garden. {{gwi:758852}}From Snow White album
{{gwi:758853}}From Snow White album

Under the Tuscan Sun... {{gwi:758854}}From TV kitchens
{{gwi:758855}}From TV kitchens

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 15:09

Comments (14)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

In my head, altho' I'm guessing what I see is influenced in part by formal gardens I've visited. I also draw my garden beds in a sketchbook and fiddle with the design on the computer to some extent. I'm sure what I see visually in motion pictures may have also influenced how I perceive my garden beds but no specific films come to mind.

I did for many years flip through garden magazines but can't recall any that helped me with either design or plant selection. While mine is not strictly a cottage garden, I was certainly influenced by many of the garden photos I've seen here on GW.

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

You chose some wonderful gardens, Lavender_lass! Under the Tuscon Sun is a great movie. I haven't seen Practical Magic, but the gardens are lovely. Searching the internet is a fun way to see different gardens around the country.

I came on this wonderful yard, and must admit, I fell in love! Brian and Robert are the most amazing gardeners, and I'd love to meet them, they are incredibly talented. Their yard really resonates with me, and I knew when viewing their garden, living in Phoenix would not be forever. I realized how much is missed by living in a climate with little rain and green! lol Enjoy!

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/design/styles/create-privacy-in-your-yard/#page=1

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Oh fun topic and I know we can all get some new ideas from this !
    Pinterest is a favorite of mine , you can save pics to a board and keep your ideas all in one place . However it leads to a lot of ideas I save but never actually know what to do with ! Especially recipies . :)
    I am lucky to live in a area with some beautiful gardens and I enjoy seeing those for inspiration . Also I work in a historical town that takes great pride in their gardens so I'll walk around and see what I can find . I love to visit public gardens too ! Great way to spend a day .
    And of course , here ! I love to see everyone else's gardens . It's amazing every time !
    I love love love under the Tuscan sun ! Great movie . I have heard but never seen ," something's gotta give " had pretty gardens too.

• User
    9 years ago

I must admit its all in my head as well,..i never quite get my garden to look as i imagine it as plants get bigger then change the shape though my garden is best described as organized chaos.

I travel to Spain quite often and England,.. coming back home with ideas,.. the same applies looking at other members gardens here,..some scenes like the first one below in England,.. this house and the roses held me there for a good few minutes as did all the gardens i visited there.

Video==Flowers and Gardens,..Leicestershire

• User
    9 years ago

A Village in Spain which i love visiting as every house and street has a view i liked.

• User
    9 years ago

Plants on walls and arches seem to attract me.

• User
    9 years ago

You feel drawn through to see what surprises await you further in.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Philip, your second picture is my favorite. Without all the plants, the wall would be too stark, the bright blue trim too loud.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi mantis,

I agree with you 100% that blue is shouting at you,..isn't it amazing what can be done with just containers to create a nice image.

Philip

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Just a little trivia about 'Practical Magic'.......the house and garden is located on San Juan Island here in WA state but it is not on the water as the movie alluded to. It is actually inland a bit and a second 'dummy' house set was built for the waterfront scenes and then demolished after filming. And many of the town shots were filmed in Coupeville on Whidbey Island.

My niece, who was a struggling actress at the time, was actually an extra in one of the scenes inside the shop. She has sinced moved on to other things :-)

Since I am a garden designer by profession, most of my inspiration comes from the site -- each is unique and calls out what needs to be done and what should be planted. This of course with lots of input from the homeowners! And I visit gardens constantly, public and private, and notice specifically what plants they use and what works with what. I will say that cottage style gardens tend to be intensely personal and I don't get too many requests for that 'look' -- most of my clients want low maintenance, which cottage gardens are not!

• ianna
    9 years ago

I loved love practical magic so much I would watch it repeatedly. Its such a pretty setting. I know it's all a facade though.. but still wishful thinking.

Has anyone watched that film which I believe is called Green Card with Andie MacDowell.. In it, she is seeking to secure an apartment with its own indoor patio. It felt like a moroccan courtyard hidden from view until one gets into the apartment. I like those sort of surprises.

I also like the mediterranean gardens - white bleached walls and blue accents. Unfortunately becasue it's often rainy in my part of the globe, that sort of bleaching will not happen. Often the walls get dark, grungy and covered with algae. Oh well, one can still dream.

• ginnier
    9 years ago

I always loved some of the things my mom grew...and then I found this... and it clicked that this fascination with blooming things might be in my genetics. This is my mom in the 1940's.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi ianna,

Yes i remember that film,..that indoor patio was spectacular as i remember wishing for something like that,..one can always wish,..another wish of mine to date is to live in Spain as i love the Spanish styled houses and the colours,..not forgetting the fantastic weather and the flowers.

Philip.
    ==============================================

Hi ginnier,

That is a great picture to cherish and no doubt the love of garden and flowers was passed on to you through your Mom,..the more you think of what she liked garden wise will come to you and you would be surprised even further,..in my case i recall what my Mom liked to plant back in the 40's and find myself doing some of the same.

Philip

• littlesmokie
    9 years ago

Gardengal-It's fun to know that tidbit about practical magic, I assumed it was filmed on the eastern seaboard. I loved the garden in that movie.
    I also think fondly of my grandma's cottage garden-didn't know the term at the time-that had flowers & veggies growing together in a little bed off to the side of her front door. I pull myself back to that when I feel enamored of "landscape designs" vs my heart's desire of a garden full of "granny flowers" (iris, roses, peonies, lilies,dahlias etc) & a few veggies and herbs contained by a white picket fence. :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting