Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

293 bulbs planted today

schoolhouse_gw
9 years ago

Oh the back of my legs are hurtin' from bending over so much.
I planted the 200 Glory of the Snow bulbs down through the privet arch. Then 93 asst. daffodil bulbs throughout the orchard. Actually it sounds like alot, but 293 bulbs really don't go that far.

I took the 4" hand bulb planter and punched a hole in the ground, then threw four little GOTS bulbs inside then pushed dirt back in and tamped. At first I was digging the hole, then putting the bulbs in, then covering as I went. But then I got the idea to dig the all the holes and then go back and drop bulbs in them. Doesn't sound like it would be any easier but to me it was and went faster.

My technique for planting daffs is also simple: drive the shovel in, lift the sod just enough to shove 2 -3 bulbs down inside, then cover the hole back up and tamp it down with my foot! Sounds like they couldn't possibly make it through the winter let alone bloom the following Spring but I've never had them fail - yet at least.

All I have left is a bag of 18 crocus which I'll plant up around the rock garden, but not today. I'm glad it had been raining for a couple days as it made the soil easier to dig. Now if I just don't buy any more bulbs. But when the clearance sales start I probably won't be able to resist. lol

Comments (7)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Good on you, mind you my back is starting to twinge just thinking about it.... now where was it I put my heating pad??? :).

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took a couple Bayer Back and Body aspirin, then I'm going to take a hot shower tonight before bed. My ankles are even sore. For one thing I wore my heavier shoes today thinking it was time to stop wearing the rubber Slogger clogs outside, and compared to the Sloggers the shoes felt like lead boots!

I remember when I could plant like that all day and not mind it at all. ugh. Last years when I planted daff bulbs, the next day I went down and here a skunk or coon had dug them ALL up and thrown them on top the ground. Didn't even taste one, just tossed them. I had to plant them again.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh schoolhouse,

You have my sympathy,..that was a colossal amount of bulbs to plant,..that is a workout beyond a doubt,..i am the same as Annette,..my back twinges just thinking about it,..come Spring you will be beaming but watch out for the Coons or the skunk.

Try and resist the temptation of the clearance sales lol.

Philip

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Wow school house ! That will be beautiful come spring !! I have never heard of glory of the snow . Going to check that out !
    I spent the day mulching and planting roses . Got 10 in today , and about a yard and a half of mulch down . Digging roses in is not fun , I have to do it with a pick axe . My yard has so many rocks !!
    It'll all be worth it next year !
    I really want to do bulbs ... But I'm afraid of attracting deer . And once they come I'm not sure they'll forget about the roses ... :(

• jitsmith
    9 years ago

Wow! I just planted 136 in my first ever bulb planting and was feeling inordinately proud of my old creaky self. Went all around about protection from squirrels - I have some very aggressive diggers - and finally just scattered some moth ball crystals around, no disturbances. Looking forward to a front yard slope of early blooms and tulips scattered throughout front and back.

Also NOT planning on a mass planting day next year. Stagger it out over a couple and see if my back and legs respond better.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Surprised I'm not feeling all that bad today, plus so far critters haven't dug the bulbs up.

• User
    9 years ago

Gosh you folks are a glutton for punishment lol,..glad to see that schoolhouse is none the worst for the big workout.

jitsmith,..136 bulbs is another colossal amount to put down,..alas i am unable to compete with you and schoolhouse in the bulb planting,..i have only 8 to work on,..maybe tomorrow,..but i did move things about for about two hours,..stood back and hardly noticed the difference.

lilyfinch,..i agree planting roses is very heavy duty work and more so when you have to use a pickaxe,..well done,..i am so grateful that i don't have critters that would dig up or eat my plants however i do use chicken wire in various shapes,..square cages to circular shapes just to keep my 9 cats from making a sleeping bed or worse.

Philip

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington