Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

I'm overwhelmed by thyme

msrose
13 years ago

I have a raised bed that I'm going to plant roses and perennials in and I thought it would be pretty to plant some thyme in front and let in hang down over the wall, but there's so many varieties I don't know which ones to choose. Are there any you think are prettier than others?

Laurie

Comments (11)

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

The only two thymes I've used are the German Thyme (from Walmart) and creeping thyme from Strong's Nursery; have you been there? I like both of these thymes, but plan to try some different types.

Also read where creeping rosemary looks good cascading over walls, but don't know much about it!

If you find different types of thyme in our area, sure would like to know - thanks!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't heard of Strong's Nursery, so I'm guessing it's in the Dallas area and I'm closer to Ft. Worth. I was actually thinking of ordering whatever I decide to try, but I may check Green Mama's first which is an organic nursery. They tend to have things that regular nurseries don't have. There's actually quite a few varieties of creeping thyme, so that's why I'm unsure about which ones are the prettiest. I did find one called lemon thyme which is a brighter green, so I'd love to know more about it. I'm not sure if it was creeping, but I also saw a variegated lemon thyme that was interesting.

Laurie

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I like the variegated lemon thyme though it is less hardy than some of the other varieties that I have grown.

'Highland Cream' is another variegated thyme with cream edges that is pretty but it did not survive last winter.

Wooly thyme is very flat/short growing and has a nice feel and look.

'Elfin' is nice 3" high thyme.

Do you know that there are varieties that have different fragrances? Coconut, lemon, orange, lavender

The thyme that I grew from seed sent to me by a trader grows about 6 inches high and has a nice pink bloom. It is a very vigorous plant and self seeds. But easy to pull out. I use it as an edger as it is very full looking. I cut it back this summer while in bloom as didn't want self seeding and it grew back quickly.

Several of the other thymes I grow are great for between pavers as they stay very short, some almost flat, mat forming.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I love the lemon thyme. It is more compact than the English or French culinary thyme I grow. It's very pretty in a mixed border. I have not been able to keep it alive more than a few years, though.
    Renee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I bought a number of different named cultivars a few years back. I had the 'Highland Cream' but it didn't make it through the first winter for me either. I would have thought zone 6a would be fine. I do have clay soil and thymes prefer sandy soil, so I do grow mine in raised beds where ever possible. I tried the 'Elfin' but found it to be scraggly and the weeds came up through it. One of those I bought was a Golden thyme, but I lost the name tag... that has been very vigorous and in 2 years it has grown into a large mound that is about 6 inches tall. I just bought 'Annie Hall' last spring and planted around pavers with a lot of sand added and mulched with sand, because it is in a low area. It hasn't been through a winter yet. So far it has been slow to grow. I've grown wooly thyme for a long time and I love it, but I lost it one winter recently when we had hardly any snow cover all winter.

Like mnwsgal, one of my more vigorous thymes was started from seed that someone sent me and it was not identified other than creeping thyme. It has grown into a nice 12" mat in one season, which seems very fast to me for a creeping thyme.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

There is a link that I wish I could find. I think Flowerlady (and if I am not remembering correctly, please tell me!!) posted it, a couple of years ago. She had created an entire bed of bed of thymes, different types and colours, in a crazy quilt pattern that was gorgeous. It might be a great accompanied with different roses. Just another idea for you!!

Nancy.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nancy - I don't know if this is the one you were thinking of, but I found a picture of herblady49's garden w/serveral thymes.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: herblady49's garden

• sarahrock
    13 years ago

I'm installing a stone walkway through my garden and have been thinking of planting some creeping thyme in some of the larger spots between the flagstones. Anyone have any idea if Elfin or Woolly Thyme would be better for that purpose? I've been trying to find info on line, but I am getting conflicting info.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Bingo, MsRose, that is it! Gorgeous, eh??

Nancy.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It sure is. Makes me wish I had a big bare spot to plant just thyme instead of my teensy tiny yard.

Laurie

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I've been really happy with my whooly thyme. We planted little babies all inbetween stones in our patio and now they're like 7 times the size and all happy everywhere! I tried mother of thyme in another spot and didn't have as much luck.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz