Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Let's see your fall foliage!

Who has some pretty fall foliage or flowers to share?

Here are some of mine:

Flame Maples in the garden- love how they each are a different shade of orange/red/gold

Shade garden plants that are starting to turn color. I love the lacy look of the orangey dwarf Aruncus (goatsbeard)

Nepeta subsessilis 'Sweet Dreams' in the bean bed. This plant was even nicer a couple days ago. Such an awesome amber/copper color!

Tickseed 'Sienna Sunset' with maple leaves blown on them

Geranium 'Anne Folkard' and leaves

Burning Bush Branch

Let's see yours now!!!!!

CMK

Comments (28)

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I like the mellow ambers and red-oranges, but I also like the hakonechloa grass in picture 2, which still has the crisp, vibrant tones of summer.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Here's a view from our front porch a few days ago. The three maples are looking their best. Wind and rain are now taking their toll on everything, but it was a sight to see while it lasted.

ThinMan

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mantis. The Hakone grass is probably one of the better looking things in that bed right now, lol! Even the hostas are starting to fade now.
    A couple of weeks ago I got a new Hakonechloa with white and green variegation called 'Fubuki'. You can see here the nice pink tinges it is starting to take on now that it is getting colder:

If I could find more room I would have tons more Hakonechloa. Just love em'! There are even some (like 'Naomi' and 'Nicholas') that are said to have super fall coloration too.

-Thinman, WONDERFUL! Is that all of your property? Really lovely- what a great place to take a stroll and admire all the fall foliage.
    CMK

• thinman
    12 years ago

CMK - We have six acres here, which allows us to have a really big veggie and cutting garden, and lots of running room for a young energetic Irish Setter. We love living in the country, although this much room is daunting when it comes to making some kind of landscape plan. Still don't have one after nine ears.

Thanks for sharing your pretty fall colors with us.

TM

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Well I'm not surprised you don't have a plan, Thinman, since you have "nine ears". You're probably too busy listening to what everyone tells you to plant. LOL ()Sorry, silly mood.

• thinman
    12 years ago

When I was a teacher every one of those ears came in handy, let me tell you. :)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

LMAO TM! I bet they did! Along with the eyes in the back of your head!

Absolutely awesome pics TM and CMK! Annie would fit in the pics nicely; total color coordination! Would love to share some of mine but infortunately, they would all be ground shots! The thought was there a couple of weeks ago but I haven't stopped to smell the coffee let alone take pictures!

Ginny

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

This is where having nine noses would come in handy for ginny- you could plant facing the dirt while your other noses were smelling the roses ;)
    Those are gorgeous shots!! Just now the locust trees are turning yellow, but it's been warm enough everything is still green. When my favorite local tree turns a sweet potato orange, I'll add a pic :)
    I was hoping my teensy amsonias would be yellow this year, but nothing yet.

12 years ago

Hahaha, CTC! I was thinking more that all the foliage has fallen around here so all the color is on the ground. But I like your reasons for my ground shots better. The only beings that get to smell the roses around here are the dogs! And that's cause they are all paws when it comes to planting! Together they have 5 noses! :)

Ginny

• thinman
    12 years ago

Ginny - You're right, Annie does fit in with the season.

Also, this maple was pretty spectacular this year and I caught it when the light was right.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Spectacular TM, our Dogwood isn't going to have that great red color this year the weather isn't cooperating. It's been so wet here.

Christin, your burning bush, luscious. I used to have one but it got to big for the space I gave it, now you've got me wanting to buy another one :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

We haven't had much change yet. TM and Cristin, your pictures are splendid. I am looking forward to our trees. We do have lots of leaves falling already, but only the crape myrtles and dogwoods are beginning to strut their stuff. Odd. I will get a picture if we have any good color this year.

TM, Annie is the perfect autumn dog! Wish we had your acreage! Our two maniacs would be in heaven.

Cynthia

12 years ago

Thanks for posting her pic TM! Annie is such a pretty girl! And that maple is stunning! Oh my dream of country living!!!

I have a few friends in the country and take every opportunity to take the dogs out to run. They are very good about staying in the boundaries and just follow me everywhere so I don't worry about them taking off. When all the dogs are out in a field they look like a herd of cows! Oh how they love the country!!!

Back to the yard work!

Ginny

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

This photo was taken a week ago on Oct 11. Most of the leaves have since fallen - only a few yellows left.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!

That maple is like a burning ember Thinman!! Your Annie is a love too. Irish Setter? Okay, I gotta' go OT and ask... are you a fan of the Thin Man movies with William Powell? Soooo funny ;-)

-squirejohn, GASP!!! What a magnificent view! I would just pull a chair up to that window and stare at it all day. What serenity. Thank you so much for posting
    CMK

• thinman
    12 years ago

Yep, she's an Irish Setter alright, and a real live wire. You probably couldn't call me a fan of the Thin Man movies, since I don't think I've ever watched one. If I spot one on TCM someday, I'll have to watch it, but I just picked the name ThinMan because I am one. :)

TM

• celtic_07
    12 years ago

Love all the pics everyone. We have had high winds,cool temps and drizzling rain the last week or so--- thus all the leaves and colour are on the ground in someone else's yard.
    TM Love Annie we have always had Irish Setters also.Celtic our last died a few years ago but we hope to get another one (if we can find one) as soon as we build back in the country our new home in the next year(hopefully as we are building ourselves again!)
    thx for sharing Take care Lois

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Just love the foliage. Maple trees are so beautiful when they turn. Thank you for sharing.
    kay

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

The photos are all so beautiful. In my area we are having quite an interesting fall. I'm not sure if it's late or just a dud. So far many leaves have fallen off the trees w/o even turning, or just crisping up. We have a lot of antracnose from the wet spring so I think it's really affecting the foliage turn this year. There is also a lot that is still green and that might be because we really haven't had any cold nights.

I garden for the fall more than any other season and yet I can't seem to find a decent picture to frame up outside. Maybe as the nights get colder the colors will catch up. Time will tell.

So......I did something different for some pictures. I collected some pretty leaves, berries and flowers and photographed them. There's a lot of interesting things going on throughout the garden. I LOVE fall!

Perhaps as some of the trees in the yard turn (if they do) I'll get some pictures of whole trees!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Thyme, what can I say....GORGEOUS!!!

Annette

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Wonderful contributions to this post!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Most of our leaves dropped it seemed overnight. I took this photo standing in the orchard looking towards the fields.

{{gwi:616965}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

-Susan, that is fantastic!!! What a neat idea. That last picture is a wonderful composition and worthy of being framed if you ask me!

-Christine, even if there isn't much fall foliage that is a nice pic!

-TM, ;-D
    CMK

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

The apples are so close to being ripe, I can hardly wait!
    {{gwi:615101}}From Lavender's Garden

This little rose is still blooming, despite the cool nights. {{gwi:316314}}From Lavender's Garden

Here's a little fall color, but if you look carefully, the honeysuckle on the arch is still blooming :) {{gwi:759371}}From Lavender's Garden

Original Author
    12 years ago

-LL, nice!! I took a look at your album and just love those pics with napping kitty on the ledge of your house! Awwww.... ;-)

Don't you just love honeysuckle??! I have one type that also put out a few more clusters of flowers this fall, which is neat.
    CMK

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I got this honeysuckle at Lowe's this spring...and it's been blooming since I brought it home! I just love it and it's perfect, in the fairy garden :)

Here's the kitty pictures...I didn't want to post too many, but they are cute.

Barn kitty 'guarding' the birdbath... {{gwi:759374}}From Lavender's Garden

Close up of barn kitty :) {{gwi:759377}}From Lavender's Garden

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

This picture was taken after our first little snowfall. A couple days later we got dumped with 19" of snow. Notice the beautiful magnolia up by the picket fence. The big snowfall brought down the whole right side. Not sure if we can save the tree.

Where'd the cottage garden go? Big snows before Halloween should not be allowed! Just got power back today so we are very happy indeed!

12 years ago

What is going on with this planet? It is November here in the frozen north and it is not frozen! And everyone else is getting snowed on! :( I think Mother Nature is PMSing! Lol

Ginny

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?