Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Fall Slide Show

hosenemesis
13 years ago

Hi gardeners,

I posted this slide show over in the California forum, but I thought you might be kind enough to look at my yard today as well. It RAINED. Only a few drops, but still, much better than the triple digits we had all week. The light was really pretty, at least by Socal early fall standards.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: October Rain in Simi!

Comments (24)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I sat through the slide show twice. You have a beautiful property, love everything in your gardens. The sink is to die for, if only I had someplace for that! Thank you for sharing.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Love that sink, and ADORE the paving in front of it. I would love to create something like that.

Lois in PA

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Really nice,I love it!
    tanya

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

What a great job you have done! I also love that sink and the patio. Is that what they call a "crazy quilt" design? Did you put it in yourself? Have to say I am sooooo envious of that stunning blue Agave you have.
    Thanks for the pics!
    CMK

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

I put it on slideshow and watched repeatedly while I ate my breakfast this morning. Lovely!! Everything is so lush. You do a great job of having lots of vertical elements, so plantings are grabbing my eye at all different levels. Your patio and path paving is very artistic, really adds interest at ground level. Fantastic job!

• chouchou_gw
    13 years ago

Your gardens are sensational and inspirational. Makes me want to start all over again with my own!

• HerbLady49
    13 years ago

It was a joy to view your slideshow. Beautiful and inspiring. Fencing is needed for privacy and security, and I absolutely love how you hide and blended your stockade fence with plant material. In the area where I live there are many new developments where they use a different type of stockade fence in every yard without a plant to be found. It's a sight to behold.

• thinman
    13 years ago

Renee, I read the follow-ups before looking at the pics, thinking that probably our dear cottagers were exaggerating a bit in their generous and friendly way. They were NOT! You've created a lush and absolutely beautiful garden. Outstanding job!

Thanks for sharing.

Thinman

• memo3
    13 years ago

Rene, Everything Gottagarden said and more! The sheer number of plant varieties in addition to the incredibly artistic design is amazing. I love all the winding pathways that continually draw one in, begging one to want to keep going and going. Fabulous!

MeMo

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Your gardens are stunning! It's funny to see some of the plants I grow along side plants that would not survive here. I love your vertical plants and all the different colors. Thanks for sharing.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Looks GREAT Renee.I also put it on slideshow and slowed it down,so i could have a better view.You done good girl!!!TFS
    Kathi

• scully931
    13 years ago

So pretty! I think my favorite is the old pepper tree! I also love the tiny little groundcover between the pavers. I probably enjoy that most because I have this ongoing battle with my grass. :-/

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Renee, You have so many interesting elements in your garden and it is glorious in all seasons! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photos! I really liked that you took the time to write captions on each of them.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gee, you guys are just encouraging me. Thank you. Don't you think there's too much lawn? :)

The 'rubble patio' was a convenient way to get rid of flagstone scraps, spare bricks, and to cover two old shed slabs and a 55 gallon drum septic tank with a concrete cap (ew). Mike and I always had leftover cement, so he built a form and we started making pavers embedded with junk. Friends started dropping off their scrap brick pieces and broken concrete and pretty soon we had enough material for a patio. Every evening while Mike read his book I would smooth out some sand and lay out a 'cell' or two. It took a summer of leisurely labor. It's our favorite place to sit.

Renee

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beautiful gardens...so lush and green! I don't think you have too much lawn, but I like grass around garden beds. It's so cool and relaxing :)

• newbiehavinfun
    13 years ago

Magical! I love the combination of textures and foliage colors. I, too, am envious of the blue agave, but in zone 7 it's no dice.

• User
    13 years ago

So wonderful the way you move from area to area. and that rubble patio...the paths. It is all such a work of art and a testament to your great eye. c

• lindakimy
    13 years ago

So beautiful!!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I just love your garden hosenemesis! Everything about it is so perfect!

• bouquet
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! I've admired your "rubble" patio from some of your other posts. I wondered how you got it so even and now I know the trick is using a concrete form. My attempt last spring to copy your design looks lumpy and uneven but now I know how to fix it. Thanks for the tip!

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bouquet, the forms were made for the individual concrete pavers with the doodads embedded in them.

The whole thing is planted in sand, and I used a board to "level" it, sort of. The edges are also set into concrete so everything will stay put.

There was much pulling back up, piling in more sand, and tapping back down involved.

I would love to see a photo of your patio.
    Renee

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Renee,
    Your garden photos are always lovely, and these are surely no exception. What kind of critter dares to dig in your garden? That picture looked a lot like some of mine, and my Final touch daylily was killed by the dirty little so-and sos.

My varmints are voles.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gophers, Kay.
    Big, fat, sleek gophers with the Protestant work ethic and Rabelaisian appetites. Sly, intelligent gophers that use their cashew-sized brains to outwit me.

I thought voles were pointy-nosed mice. I'm going to look up voles on google.
    Renee

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio