Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennbenn_gw

Thanks HGTV

jennbenn
17 years ago

Well, HGTV seems to have taken away the early morning garden shows. No more- now its Designing for the Sexes and A Painted House. I really look forward to the garden shows and now this. Just when our gardens slow and we have more time to dream and design. So sad. What upsets me is that I don't even watch tv really, I just record my favorite garden shows, so when I do have time I can watch what I want. :(

~jenn

Comments (54)

• carol5
    17 years ago

Egads! This is the 1st I've heard of this. Even the 7 am slot? Drat!! Is there somewhere we can complain to HGTV?

Carol

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

I've noticed that also. Paul is the only show left on Saturdays. I hardly watch that channel anymore. In fact, I hardly watch TV period. 800 channels and nothing decent to watch.

Ed-

• crocosmia_mn
    17 years ago

I was so excited when Gardeners Diary was back and now I just can't believe HGTV took it away again so soon! Does anyone have some or all of the old episodes on tape or DVD? I would love to have copies.

• dirt_yfingernails
    17 years ago

Add my voice to the rest. Loved the early morning gardening shows!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Let's get a petition going, or better yet... swarm them with emails. I'm going to look up the contact info. BRB

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Here is the contact info. We should get other forums to complain too. But before I contact them, someone please give me the details. I only watch HGTV on the weekend and it seems they still have gardening from 7-9 on Sunday (too early for me!) and 10-noon on Saturday. What did they take off? LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: contact HGTV

• jennbenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi again!
    I was just on HGTV's site, and there is a bit of good news ~ it looks like in November they are putting the garden shows back on.. see the link. Why its not on in Oct I don't know. Hopefully they will not change it. Why can they not have garden shows mixed in with decorating and real estate shows. Good grief. Maybe it comes down to sponsers/ and advertising.. money?
    Anyway, just wanted to share that.
    TastefullyJulie, HGTV starts each morning with 2 garden shows, they alternated A Gardener's Diary, Paul James the Garden Guy and Rebecca's Garden. I might have it backwards but those 3 shows oh, and People Places and Plants were the shows on from 6-7am Monday thru Friday. Anyhow, now its changed to Designing for the Sexes and A Painted House. (Hopefully for Oct. only).

To everyone else, if this thread is negative I am sorry. I hate to complain, but it is frustrating to see this channel which started out with alot of different gareden shows dwindle down to such a small number. Sorry but Landscaper's Challenge is nice but doesn't do it for me. Not into presto makeovers.
    Gardener's need a little "me time" just for them!
    ~jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV Novemeber's schedule!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I just love Gardening by the yard. I think I'll start TIVOing it. I never even knew it was on at 7:30. I'm either still asleep or gone by then!

• crocosmia_mn
    17 years ago

I also like "City Gardener" despite its being a makeover show because the guy is so enthusiastic. Is that gone, too?

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I've sent my email. I think its ridculous that they keep changing the schedule so often.

Michelle

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I sent an email too. There is a huge imbalance between "home" and "garden"

• indigo2006
    17 years ago

Crocosmia, City Gardener has disappeared as far as I can tell. Matt James now has a new show called Urban Outfitters based in the US. But it skips over the helpful part of his British show (plant selection, growth conditions, landscaping tips) in favor of banalities! Is HGTV really making money with these low-quality shows?

• jennbenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I sent an email too. I am ok with Urban Outfitters, but I really like City Gardner much better for the reasons listed by Indigo..
    ~jenn

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

Suzie Qualo-- not sure that is how you spell her name, but she was the one that got me to watch HGTV in the first place! They took off her show and later she did another but not it too is gone....

Paul James and Rebecca's garden are my favorites. I like the dry lady too as she always gives the latin names and visits many wonderful gardens.

BBC used to have Ground Forces which I LOVED!!!

sigh........

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Maybe they should change the channel name to HHTV.

• nanahanna
    17 years ago

I sent an email too. I am not fond of Paul James' show because he is so corny...he gets on my nerves..I wish he would just stick to gardening tips and cut out the hi-jinks..JMHO. I am going to have to start getting up earlier to catch those early shows but I need to get up earlier anyway and this winter it will help me get my gardening fix! LOL. Oh, I liked Susie Cuelo too...she had great ideas.

• SEWigardnut
    17 years ago

I sent them an email. Thanks for the info..

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I like Paul James because he squeezes a lot into a half hour show (which is good when they have NO OTHER shows). But you're very right, he is corny.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I actually got a reply from HGTV. Here's a copy.

Thank you for your e-mail. Gardener's Diary will return to the schedule in November airing at 7:00 am ET/PT on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays. Gardening by the Yard will air at 7:30 am ET/PT on those days. People, Places, & Plants will air on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 7:00 am ET/PT and Rebecca's Garden will at 7:30 am ET/PT on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

Customer Services, Scripps Networks Interactive

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Unfortunately the new show times seem to focus on an audience that isn't working. I miss my Saturday and Sunday line-up with a cuppa coffee.

They don't read their e-mail. It's set up for automatic response. I also recieved a reply, sound familar?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thank you for your e-mail. Gardener's Diary will return to the schedule in November airing at 7:00 am ET/PT on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays. Gardening by the Yard will air at 7:30 am ET/PT on those days. People, Places, & Plants will air on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 7:00 am ET/PT and Rebecca's Garden will at 7:30 am ET/PT on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

• jennbenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got it too!
    Oh well...
    maybe someday their will be an all GARDEN channel!
    Well, a girl can dream can't she?
    ~jenn

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Nice to know they get so many garden complaints they have a form letter response. I guess they really don't care.

So this morning I was all set to have my coffee and take 1/2 hour to myself and watch groundbreakers. They were putting in a BASKETBALL COURT. That's so practical. I know a lot of people who want to do that (sarcasm). It was so boring I turned it off in 3 minutes.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I watched the whole show. They also put in a putting green. Do you think that was for those little kids? Nope, there were 5 or 6 men out there.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I just sent off an email to them.I told them they may as well take the "G" out of HGTV,since there are so few gardening shows.Told them we want shows like Erica glasner,Kathy Renwald,paul James and others like them.Also let them know that most of us don't have millions of $$$$"s to spend,so have no interest in making our homes a copycat of those million $$$ homes.Told them also that this is being discussed in great lengths on message boards,and none of us like what is happening to what used to be a good channel to watch.Lets see what kind of a response i get.
    Kathi

• pfmastin
    17 years ago

I did the same as some of you...sent an email suggesting they change the channel name to Home TV. I was polite, but chided them for their "competition gardening" shows. I requested programming for serious gardeners. Gardeners spend billions of dollars per year in this country and you'd think they'd take that into consideration when they come up with programming.....wouldn't you?

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I received an email back from them today,stating that the gardening shows will be back on in Nov.
    Gardeners diary----M-W-F @ 7:00am
    gardening by the yard-----M-W-F- @ 7:30 am
    People,places & plants----T-T-@7:00am
    rebeccas garden ---7:30----T-T-
    Kathi

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

*LOL* Kathi and bless your heart for trying. I really don't think they care.

Edna

• angelcub
    17 years ago

I'd email them but have learned in the past it does no good. Quilters all over the country bombarded them with emails, letters and a HUGE petition to keep Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson in production. It was one of their most watched shows. But they refused and let her go. At least there are repeats on DIY.

As for their others shows, I've pretty much stopped watching. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse than that Debbie Travesty they run a bunch of shows with squeaky voiced generation Yers who think it's clever to make a book cover into a purse. Ugh! Do they not know who has the disposable income in this country?!

Diana

• dabr
    17 years ago

I used to love HGTV when it first came out..now I rarely watch it. My favorite shows were the one with Kitty Bartholomew, another show I can't recall the title of about collectibles and Country Home. All they have on now is weird foreign gardening and design shows!!! Who watches that slop????
    Dee

• pnwwanda
    17 years ago

I get tired of seeing nothing but design shows. It gets old. I want the old garden shows they use to have. Now there is hardly any at all. I'm just getting so I watch less and less HGTV and it was my favorite channel.

• jessewo
    17 years ago

The weekend morning lineup was a must see for me (at least when it was cold or rainy!) but now it's a parade of what houses cost! BORING! If anyone REALLY cares what a house on the other side of the country costs, there are plenty of realtor's sites out there! (no disrespect to realtors!)

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

I still watch Paul James the Gardener Guy,Victory Garden and P,P,and P.I was fortunate in two ways though.In Florida it is so stinking hot all summer You DO have time to watch the programs and second I have TIVO.
    I love Paul James' show as he is the most educational.
    I think he has to be goofy because if you watch him REAL CLOSE when he gets serious he almost seems mean.(Maybe its because he has Ernies sidekick Bert's eyebrows!) Perhaps they try to cover up his stern look by giving him such a silly personality. Personally I wish he didn't spend so much time on conifers.But hey,thats ok since I have the TiVO I can buzz right through the stuff I cannot use.
    QUESTION to those who got a response from HGTV.
    Are they going to bring us new shows? Rebecca was alot of reruns and Erica too.Just hoping they do not try to get us off their back with the old stuff.

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

I still watch Paul James the Gardener Guy,Victory Garden and P,P,and P.I was fortunate in two ways though.In Florida it is so stinking hot all summer You DO have time to watch the programs and second I have TIVO.
    I love Paul James show he is the most educational.
    I think he has to be goofy because if you watch him REAL CLOSE when he gets serious he almost seems mean.Perhaps they try to cover up his sternlook.Personally I wish he didn't spend so much time on conifers.But hey,thats ok since I have the TiVO I can buzz right through the stuff I cannot use.
    Question to those who got a response from HGTV.
    Are they going to bring us new shows? Rebecca was alot of reruns and Erica too.Just hoping they do not get us off their back with the old stuff.

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

I do not like many of the new shows, the camera guys zoom and pan so much you feel sick! they move the camera all around and it drives me to clic the channel!

I wonder who they are doing the shows for?

The new real estate shows are for the richeees out there ( or a bunch of dreamers), who has a million bucks to spend on a home?

Yeah, I remember kitty and liked her show. Simple and real, besides he had a real cute IGGY! (I used to have one, his name was Beep)

I'd like to see stuff we could put to use in our own homes and gardens!

I hope the new design star David comes up with a good show!

Leasa

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

Paul JAmes was on yesterday am it was a 2005 show but at least he was on...

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I emailed them again and sent a copy of their email that said that those shows would be on in Nov.

Michelle

• almendra
    17 years ago

Thank you Michelle,

We should bombard them again. I will email them too.

• jennbenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Michelle, I am just so disappointed. Really really disapointed. I will be interested in what they say.
    Jenn

• crocosmia_mn
    17 years ago

I just emailed H"G"TV with a copy of their own reply to our first batch of emails. Surely we are not the only gardeners in the US who are complaining about the lack of gardening shows.

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

I sent them are question with an email they sent saying they said the garden shows would be on in Nov.

I also let them know that I think the G is standing more for something else other than Gardening, and that I was wanting to see garden shows...

Leasa

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

Here is what I go:

Unfortunately, our Programming Department has changed the schedule again. The gardening programs will not be returning through December. Please check back with us in late December and we will be happy to check the schedule for January. I apologize and thank you again for your interest.

• crocosmia_mn
    17 years ago

To that I'd say, um, "Manure!" except that we gardeners LIKE that....

What can be the huge reason why they are messing around with this great show?

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

No gardening shows and no gardening magazines on the store shelves . . . . I'm going to have withdraws.

• gototheant
    17 years ago

This channel is only looking for cheap programming to fill its hours. I have it on the inside that their production crews that do these gardening shows know nothing about it at all. They don't even have an authorized expert consultant they listen to. The idea is to go as cheap as possible. They don't even produce these shows themselves. They are produced by a hodge podge of small independent production companies. It would do them well, to maybe listen to you all and give you want you want. Real Gardeners and what real gardeners want, maybe even get some new gardeners excited about a very enjoyable and stress reducing activity. There is so much new information out there they can cover from new cultivars to new advance is bio science. With everyone trying to Go Green it is foolish to abandon the gardens. Just need to kept pressing on, they are not the only fish in the sea. It's just that they have that garden word in their name :-) I guess that is why we feel we should be entitled to have gardens on air.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

That's it!!!!! Paul James wasn't even on Saturday morning. All they had was 2 back to back episode of groundbreakers (aka: Gardens of the rich and famous). I have no reason to even turn this channel on anymore. I guess there's still PBS, hope they don't change their lineup :o

• pfmastin
    17 years ago

I have a thought. I know how it is to enjoy, crave, and even feel the *need* to garden. And I share your frustration over HGTV. I've also emailed and think they should simply call themselves Home TV.

I am wondering.....have you ever thought about becoming a volunteer at a local public garden or a cooperative extension master gardener volunteer? You'll be able to find lots of information on master gardener programs by doing an internet search or contacting your local extension office. It's a satisfying way to volunteer in your community. The bonus is...you'll be surrounded by fellow gardeners! I find that we volunteers have gotten to be friends, we nursery hop together, shop for bulbs together in fall and spring, work on gardens together, tour public (and each others)gardens together and generally network with garden questions and ideas.

I just thought I'd throw this out to you.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

As this post now has over 50 replies maybe we should all copy and paste it into an email to HGTV.

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

I just 'discovered' this Forum and we Canadians are having the same problems with HGTV. We were reduced to two half-hour shows at 6:00 a.m. and we are inundated with design or de-clutter shows. We now have no Gardening shows on HGTV. I wrote to them and complained, but nothing was done even though they promised to make some changes. I don't even watch that channel anymore. I told them they shoud take the G out of their name. It used to be nice to be able to watch the shows during the winter and plan for the summer. What a disappointment!

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

My MG friend and I are working on shorts for our local channel on garden related subjects for our volunteer work. The first one is on the knotweed.

Leasa

PS RFD TV still has segments on gardening on several of their regional shows the show in the Carolinas and Texas often feature gardens.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living