Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

My Favorite Aster and other late blooming pics

mantis__oh
12 years ago

My favorite aster is the October-blooming Bluebird. Vigorous, with nice clean foliage, tolerant of the worst conditions.

Buddleia have been blooming quite steadily with October warmth.

Euphorbia flourishes in pots late in season (along with Persian Shield).

Easy color of fall mums. (Camera just can't capture this color, which is purple-red.)

Dahlia Barbarossa one of many vivid yet in October.

Celosia still getting bigger.

Comments (15)

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a closer look at Bluebird blooms from 10 days ago.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

All are absolutely Gorgeous!! Those celosias really just blow me away.Love all of them.TFS
    Kathi

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Nice! That persian shield is stellar. I like your Aster too. So it doesn't have mildew or yellow foliage problems? I've been scared off of getting any more Asters because some of mine have terrible foliage problems. Might have to try your Bluebird...
    Thanks for the pics!
    CMK

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bluebird has the cleanest foliage of any aster I know. Bluestone describes it as "trouble free." Only problem some years is that it blooms so late that if it is cold and wet, well, nothing does well then. But usually weather here isn't that cold in early to mid October.

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

Wow! That bluebird is gorgeous. All my fall bloomers seem to be yellow or orange. Did you purchase plant or ws? The rest of the pics ar beautiful too.

Linda Jo

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I couldn't resist taking another picture today (without sun glare). This is about 5 feet wide.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

OMG! What are you feeding that thing? Gnomes? Racoons? Coyotes? It is huge! And beautiful! I have a little tiny aster with six blossoms on it *spoken in a very small insignificant voice*.......but it's blue........All your pics are awesome! Here in the frozen north, I have to take really close up pics of my bloom....lol :)

Ginny

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bluebird truly grows like a weed. It is in a terrible spot on a slope where a weigela died. Very hot and dry there in the summer. Give this aster room and it performs. Can't speak for zone 3 though.

Linda, it was obtained as a plant, but divisions have gone to several friends. Just is very vigorous. Of course, you have to have room; it takes space and likes sun. Nothing else would grow where it is planted.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Seems you fell in love :-)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

What a beauty, asters have to be my favorite flower, At one time I had over 60 different cultivars but have yet to grow 'Bluebird'. I lost most of mine due to two extremely wet winters but I've started replacing the ones I've lost that is when I find them. Of course when I see new to me varieties they seem to follow me home.
    Mine are just about finished for this year but it was nice to finally see some honey bees working the flowers, it's the only time we see them nowadays, they must be from a hive that has been brought in for the winter.

Annette

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Wow!! That is lovely! I just want to take a running jump and land on it because it looks so soft and fluffy. :)
    I just got some teensy ones this year from Bluestone, so I'm hoping mine will be as happy as yours (I won't jump on them) :)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

My little one has decided to take off blooming. I only planted her in late August. Here is a pic from today. Woods pink

Ginny

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I now think that my aster is either October Skies or Raydon's Favorite, as the flower petals of Bluebird are less pointed and more blue. Glad you called this to my attention. October Skies seems a bit bluer and more compact than Raydon's, which seems to fit my plant, but pictures vary so much. The generous person from whom I got it was not sure. October Skies is supposed to be only a foot and a half tall, but many pictures show a larger plant.

If anyone has more insight, let us know.

Here's the full spread of the plant.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

That aster is just gorgeous! I really enjoyed all of your pictures.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful aster (bluebird). SAuch a pretty look.
    kay