Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22262128

End Of September 2014.

User
9 years ago

I know i posted some of the pictures in the video below,..but not all by any means as there are 86 pictures in the video,..we have had heavy rain for the past week and some strong winds and before breakfast one such morning i was rushing about putting down canes and tying up lots of plants,..luckily i was in time and no real damage done.

Video===Sept 2014 Blooms.

Verbascum niger.

Comments (23)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pulmonaria officinalis,'Lungworth',..and Cape Daisy.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Clematis cirrhosa,'Freckles'.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't get a lot of weeds in the garden but i do get Ferns popping up very often some i keep if they are the Hearts Tongue Fern or the Shuttlecock Fern,..worth keeping and are expensive enough were one to purchase them.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They even grow in the wall at the end of my garden but these i leave as the roots are difficult to move.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Beautiful as always! Thanks for posting the stills along with the video for those of us who live enough in the boonies to have slow connections speeds. I particularly love the first photo!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi nhbabs,

Thank you!,..that word boonies makes me smile i know what you mean but its a word we never hear over here,..we call it the sticks lol,..connection speeds here are changing so fast its hard to keep up,..i started with 7Mb then it went to 10Mb at present i have 30Mb but coming shortly is fiber optic with 100 to 200Mb now that will be zippy.

That first picture of the Verbascum was a bonus this year they started popping up first in July and still doing so,..i had to look back through my files to find it was a few years ago i found one growing in a dump planted it and seeds must have fallen.

The Cape Daisy below is still flowering today.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oxalis debilis,'Shamrocks pink',..once you have it in the garden you will always have it so i contain it in pots.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Delphinium Bluebird,..this shot was taken today,..i mentioned before that i cut them back in June/July for a second bloom.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Helichrysum italicum,'Curry bush',..on the right,..gives off a scent of mild curry,..with Yucca alifolia,'Spanish bayonet',..in the background.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went to visit a friend today who has converted an old boat into a flower display,..looks great in reality for this time of year.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now i know its well into Autumn,..the Hazel Nuts are falling.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Molly",..only cares for the water no matter what the season lol.

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Lots of perfect pictures, Phillip! Thanks for sharing your wonderful garden! The Verbascum niger looks like a yellow orchid, and the Delphinium Bluebird is just lovely. Your friend has a clever idea, the boat full of flowers is very nice touch.

I have a curry plant, but it looks nothing like yours. It's a very tender tropical, and I'm working out space in the house for the winter. Do you use the curry for cooking?

The cat video was great, and I love the cat with the white and black spots. Molly got in there as well!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

'I have a curry plant, but it looks nothing like yours. It's a very tender tropical, and I'm working out space in the house for the winter. Do you use the curry for cooking?' Glengarry's Helichrysum italicum is called Curry Plant because of its scent. It's not used in cooking. Yours will be Murraya koenigii, Curry Leaf. I wish we could grow them this side of the Atlantic but as you say they are tropical. The flavour is wonderful and dried are just not the same.

Nice Maidenhair Spleenwort in the garden wall there, Glengarry. A sign of a lovely old bit of masonry. We get them in my part of the world too. There's one growing out of the house wall by my front door and I know it's not good for the damp but I can't bring myself to pull it out.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi dusti,

delighted you viewed the cat video,..at last i made a short video lol,..oh yes Molly always sticks around for pictures,..poser.

About the Curry bush,'Helichrysum italicum,.."flora UK",..is correct you can not eat the leaves nor the small yellow flowers but in Spain and those areas they cut off the leaves place them in a gauze and cook in Veg/Meat and Fish Dishes just for the flavor,..its the Murraya Koenigilii,'silver Curry Bush',..as "flora UK" stated,.. whose leaves are edible this may be the one you have but i would check it out.

I don't use mine with cooking but its very good Medicinal wise as its an Anti-Inflammatory,..it will soothe burns and also used as a fungicidal,..oh and for raw chapped skin,..i have only used it for burns and it worked.

===============================================

Hi floraUK,

I was very pleased to see you knew the difference between those two Curry bushes as over the years the same question is asked and then the Curry Tree comes into the question adding more confusion,..ah yes the ferns,..so you have them as well,..i would be the same as you,..i would hate to pull one out of the wall unless i was sure i could get the roots and plant it elsewhere,..they are nice indeed and that is a very old wall where mine is growing,..well over 100 years old.

Philip

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Hi floral UK,

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the two plants! Here is a picture of the Murraya koenigii, Curry Leaf, and I should have known the proper name for it. The plant has grown quickly and although I haven't tried it in cooking, it's only because I need to sit down and do an internet search on fresh curry recipes. I'm glad the leaves are full of flavor. If they can't be grown outside, wouldn't a windowsill suffice?

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Hi Phillip,

Sorry for the delayed message, I'm very busy at work this time of year, working 12 hour days and week-ends too. Fortunately, these long days only last from October/ early December. It's wonderful having the having the extra money, after all, there are more plants and supplies to buy, lol.

Thanks for pointing out the difference in the curry plants. Growing plants for Medicinal use is something I would like to try some day. The curry plant above has been very easy to grow and the dog is little Lexi, smaller than a cat but very feisty. True to the Yorkie breed, she has sniffled out many rats and rabbits in the garden.

One of the datura is getting ready for another round of bloom, when it does, I'll find the time to send a picture, they are becoming a favorite garden plant.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi dusti,

I knew you would be busy working,..its great to have that bit of extra cash,..i manage to get extra by towing boats from far up the lake or way downriver when engines fail,..i can get there quickly after a call as one engine on the boat is a 40Hp,..if its a friend in need i don't charge but make it a point i want a plant for the garden or don't call me again,..it works lol.

Ah yes i spotted little "Lexi",..and a good garden sniffer you say,..well earning his feed.

I would place your Curry Plant on a windowsill in Winter over here though it should be fine in your garden during Winter it being a tropical plant,.. however if you get extreme cold then i would have to consider protecting it.

Medicinal plants are a great bonus in the garden and i have a few but only use them for burns and cuts i must do more research for internal uses as they are less harmful than most medicines given in tablet form.

Looking forward to seeing the Datura bloom.

Philip

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Hi Phillip, here is the yellow Datura, taken this morning. October is a great month here for blooms.

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Here is the purple Datura, also taken this morning.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dusti,

Beautiful blooms and lots of them,..lucky you!,..am i mistaken but does the purple Datura have dark stems?,..i have stared at your two pictures over and over dreaming my plant might do nearly as well next season,..thank you for remembering the pictures,..oh is that Lexi on the path behind the purple Datura.

Philip

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Thanks, these Datura have been perfect for a hot climate, although I'm sure yours will be beautiful next year, with your skill at growing plants, you don't need to dream! Yes, the purple one has dark stems and the bloom looks dark, although it opens to a lighter shade. The dogs pop up in so many pictures, I don't bother to check, often just an ear or tail will show, lol.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dusti,

Some plants give us an indication that the blooms will be dark or red by the colour of the stems though i wasn't sure about the Datura until i spotted the stems in yours,..my little Datura has dark stems,..little being 2Ft tall,..the seed was over 5 years old.

Lol about the dog,.."an ear or tail will show up"".

Philip

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting