Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22262128

October In The Garden.

User
9 years ago

Lots of rain this past few days but thankfully its mostly in the evenings which gives me a chance to rearrange some big plants,..i am always fearful of moving the big ones,..but they have got so big its a must,..a ten food Mahonia japonica needs to be reduced in size,..some rose bushes shifted and a two Hydrangea,..moving a Clematis to the middle of the garden as well.

Clematis,'Freckles',..is coming into full bloom its a small bloom but pretty enough.

Comments (26)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Delphinium,'Bluebird',..which is as you see it this evening this was cut back in June/July some others are getting ready to bloom as well.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Asters are doing well this year,..most years one species gets Mildew but i kept spraying with milk and water mix so no Mildew thankfully as its unsightly.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These were the species which get Mildew,'Anton Kippenburg'.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mums turning colour/color though the late Autumn ones have yet to bloom.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

California Poppies adding a bit of colour.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David Austin Rose,'Korresia',..probably giving its last wave of the season.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Calendula are as good as ever.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No complaints about the main pathway as it shows many blooms from my back door.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The big container you see is going to be the new location of my Clematis.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seems a shame to prune my VERY tall rose bush when its still blooming so i will wait a bit.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A little experiment growing a Brug produced what you see below,..if it survives winter it might grow next summer and produce some blooms.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A friend i visited had a few sickly looking plants,..one was a Lavatera,'Barnsley Baby',..after placing in in the greenhouse coaxing it with this that and the other,..even talking to it,..its looking healthy now and bloomed with more buds on it,..the bloom below.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lavatera,'Barnsley Baby',..looking healthy.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last but not least,..the boys and girls who hang out in my garden and house.

Video==Tenderness

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Very nice! You still have a lot blooming.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

I didn't realize that calendula would do well in your climate. I always thought they liked a Mediterranean climate. Here, they don't like the heat and humidity of summer. I have lost interest in asters that mildew badly. Raydon's Favorite, a late one, does not mildew here. Delphiniums are always nice to see, but one has to look, not grow, in this climate.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi nhbabs,

Thank you!,..we have had heavy rain non stop for the past 16 hours and no sign of clear skies,..after 24 hours of this Cabin Fever sets in lol,..i do get stuck in to house chores or doing maintenance on my computers to keep sane.

Philip

==============================================

Hi Mantis,

Calendula can be slow to start in my garden but once they get good roots they grow to about 3 Ft,..i was lucky to get seeds of Calendula,'Pink Surprise',..from a friend,..sowing seeds now will produce blooms early next season though it should be in Aug/Sept so touch wood,..they do well in my garden which is a sun trap and the soil gets lots of moisture.

I took note of that Aster,..'Raydon's Favorite',..i like Asters due to the late flowering when its hard to have blooms in Oct/Nov and Dec and if Mildew free then that's an added bonus.

Fuchsia still putting on a show and we are well into Autumn.

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

What a pretty fall garden! Love the David Austin rose! You have such a pretty collection of flowers, the yard must be so enjoyable. Brugs don't grow well here, although I'd love to have one, but Datura does very well. I have two, the yellow one is several feet tall and wide. They both bloom very well, and love the heat, although they are poison, and I worry about the dogs.

Haven't seen the latest video yet, but I plan to this week-end. We're getting very busy at work, and I'm starting to work week-ends, missing this beautiful gardening weather. Up at five tomorrow, ugh.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dusti,

Not sure really if mine is a Brug or a Datura as it was from a seed i had stored for some time,..IF it survives and blooms then i can put a name on it though i would be very happy to see either blooms,..i envy you being able to grow the Datura,.. the blooms are just fantastic.

That video is a short one,..well 6 minutes in all so a short one for me lol.

Gosh starting to work weekends is hard to get used to,..i had to do it myself and it really put me off my stride,..now that i am retired i have so much to do i couldn't fit in work as well lol.

Some wet Cyclamen which are still in bloom of today.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

very nice glengarry. great calendulas. this is datura belle helene and aster oblongifolius-mint scented leaves

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

aster oblongifolius

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi davids10,

Wow lots of blooms on your Datura,' belle helene',..and a promise of lots more from those buds,..you have me living in hope mine will do as well next season,..if it survives overwintering,..there is a hardy one which will grow here but you wouldn't see them in garden Centers.

Very interesting and attractive Aster and what a bonus to have an Aster with Mint scented leaves,..i am always amazed to hear of plants i never came across before as is your Aster,..gardening Forums are an eye opener,..thank you for the information and the pictures.

Philip

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Philip, as always I enjoyed the tour of your garden the only thing better would to be able to see it in person. You still have so much color...just a wee bit envious :).
    I have 'Freckles' too but it blooms in the dead of winter in my garden, it's slightly protected as it's in my garden/pool room.
    Ahhh...Michaelmas Daisies are my favorite flower, at one time I had quite a collection of them, most came from Old Court Nurseries in the UK but one winter something got them and very few came back the next spring :(. I don't have a great picture of my aster bed, my camera went caput just as they were coming into their own but this is one when they were just budding out, these are from the little root cuttings I imported that spring.
    I enjoyed the video of your kitties, I bet they keep you hopping, dogs have masters, cats have staff LOL. We've only got one now 'Percy' and she's got DH and I wrapped right around her little paw.
    Annette

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Annette,

Gosh you certainly have a huge amount of Asters,..fantastic!,..sorry to hear something got at them that's gardening for you,..i really should have took cuttings of mine and increased my stock but i kept putting it off,..now i regret my neglect though some of the blame is down to having too many irons in the fire,..however since last May i have being grounded all down to a mishap in the boat,..two fractured wrists and a hernia,..the wrists are fine now but i am keeping the hernia as a pet lol.

my Clematis Freckles gives the odd bloom about July/August but really comes into itself from now onwards and well into Winter so similar to yours,..its a pity the blooms are ever so small compared to most other clematis.

Ah yes the Cat video,..they certainly keep me on my toes as one comes to the back door to be let in,.. i open up to let it in then close the door,..no sooner am i sitting down when the second one appears and i repeat the process all over again and again until they are all in,..seven feed in the sitting room on a huge platter,..number eight insists on having its food on top of the freezer,..number nine wants its food on top of the washing machine,..not satisfied they loiter about when i am having my dinner hoping i might let something fall,..or answer the phone forgetting my dinner is on the table,..they have no respect for Staff lol.

Philip

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Here is an October picture of my garden, taken this morning. If you look closely in front of the picture, you will see part of an ear belonging to Lexi. Bailey is the full dog in the picture, lol.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi dusti,

Nice show of colour in your garden,..lol at me searching for an ear belonging to Lexi and not forgetting the full Bailey,..in the future when you post a picture i will be dog spotting as well as enjoying the garden blooms lol.

Philip

Sponsored