Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

ID help please from Florida gardener

goldenpond
13 years ago

Hi garden friends,

I am normally on the Florida Forum but I do come here and view your beautiful gardens also.

I got this perennial a few years ago from a seed catalog and no one in Florida can tell me what it is. I sure don't remember. I thought maybe since no one down here grows it

it may be something you are acquainted with. It has spread quite a bit and is just now starting its bloom time.

Thanks,

Tanya

{{gwi:761122}}

Comments (14)

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Looks like obedient plant to me. It is a vigorous spreader for most people and can become a pest.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

kinda reminds me of my speedwell, i have a bunch and adore them! Heres a link of the one i think it is, scroll down to veronica speedwell "Fairytale"

Here is a link that might be useful: fairytale

• scully931
    13 years ago

I had at first though Obediant Plant as well, but lilyfinch may be right. My OP did spread, but it is sooo lovely. :-)

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I vote obedient plant. Mine are in full bloom and they look just like that.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Yes, obedient plant. Mine has been blooming for a couple months.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I have veronica 'Fairytale' which has a lovely pink spike but smaller individual blossoms than the obedient plant and it has not spread but has made a nice sized bush. It blooms on and off throughout the summer if deadheaded.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Physostegia virginiana, aka Obedient Plant.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Yup, another vote for Physostegia. When you bend a floret to one side it stays there, that's where the obedient comes in :).

Annette

• ianna
    13 years ago

It's called an obedient plant because it bends it's flowers towards the direction of the sun. This gooseneck kind of bending is the clincher. If your plant does that it's definitely an obedient plant. These plants are considered very aggressive and will spread quickly -so be aware of this. Not sure how aggressive it can be in hot and humid florida though.

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

They are somewhat aggressive in my garden. But they are shallowly rooted just under the surface and easy to pull up.

I keep them under control by pulling up the ones at the outer edge of the circle of plants and occasionally a few from the main clump. I do this all during the summer.

They bloom in a bold mass of lavender in late September.
    I have a native strain that I got from a ditch that blooms first, and I also got some in a plant swap.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

i really cant wait to hear what the original poster has to say about the plant! I think ive only seen obiedient plant in white so i had no idea it was purple as well.
    if it isnt the speedwell, id like to say the fairytale speedwell is an awesome garden plant for anyone who wants to attract bees and bloom all summer! :)

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am still confused. I have alot of these but only one has begun blooming, Florida does things differently to plants though.
    I tried bending and all I did was break it. This pant seems quite fragile,at least to touch. Your pictures do indeed look like it!
    I am glad for all the help anyway!
    Tanya

• collectordi
    13 years ago

Don't be confused. It's definitely obedient plant. It may be easy to pull up but has been impossible to eradicate. Fleshy white roots persist after you pull up everything above ground. It has taken over two beds in my yard. I call it disobedient plant. I feel like I should have anyone who wants to take some of it sign a waiver saying they won't hold me responsible. Mostly I just talk them out of it. Beware!

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

collectordi
    I like that new name DISOBEDIENT plant. I think I will put that on a little sign and place it in the middle of mine. I always warn gardeners about its vigor if they ask for it.
    Maybe it likes Va better than dry old Texas. It was one of the few plants that held its head high during a 3 month dry spell that was only broken yesterday. So I guess I should not say a bad thing about it.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!