Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how well do cosmos transplant?

Posted by louisianagal z7bMS (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 21:18

I sowed some cosmos around a maple tree in front yard. They are pretty. It is the Seashell mix with pinks and white. The colors sort of clash with the mixed shrub and perennial border along the foundation in the front. So I am wondering if I could lift them and move them elsewhere, or just let them be. Not sure I can harvest any seed becoz we will probably get a killing frost this month. I don't think they will go to seed b4 then.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how well do cosmos transplant?

I wouldn't try to transplant them if they are already blooming. You might be surprised how quickly cosmos will produce seed. I bet you could have seeds in two weeks. You'll need to protect the flowers once they have faded, to keep birds from eating the seeds and knocking them onto the ground. I've used old nylons or tulle bags from the wedding department at craft stores. Tie them around the faded flowers and let them catch the seeds as they dry. Good luck. If you don't manage to save any seed, I've got lots that I've save in the past year or two that I'd be happy to donate.

Martha

o
RE: how well do cosmos transplant?

Thank You!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here