Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crackingtheconcrete

Pumpkins, and Mums, and Gourds, Oh, MY!!

Anyone growing or tucking things into their gardens for the fall? Any pictures for those of us growing in space-deprived pumpkinless areas?

Comments (7)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I have 4 colors of daisy mums, and 5 colors of buttom mums planted and perennial so far here for me. I will get a few fall pumpkins soon. Both our Boy Scout troop and the Neighbor In Need program are now selling pumpkins for fundraising. It's a wonderful sight to see the trailers loaded with pumpkins for fall! I will buy mine in a week or two when weather is cooler and they won't rot. They get pumpkins that are fine for cooking and so I make tons of pumpkin stuff with them (and collect my neighbors old pumpkins too, freeze lots of pies!!).
    I do not put out any other decorations. I'm slimming down the seasonal decorating to get rid of stuff. I've kept Christmas decorations but no longer have any other seasonal stuff. However as I removed spent annuals from the garden I am cutting the surviving blooms and tucking them into large vases I bought at the thrift store for $1. These I put out on the stairs and outside on the porch with houseplants. They are cheery.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ggg, that sounds neat, putting the vases of annuals on your steps as decor! The great thing about flowers, pumpkins and gourds is that they're biodegradable, so if you decorate using those, it's not like they need to be stored, but I do find my heart gets immensely happy at the sight of a well-glazed ceramic pumpkin lol
    I love button mums- so cute :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

It freezes too early here, for pumpkins...but we do have clematis still blooming, coneflowers, daisies and even a few roses. The stock and cosmos by the house are still blooming, despite the frosts. Everything further out is pretty much done for the fall, except the apples. I hope they're ripe enough to eat this weekend :)

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lavender lass, my cosmos are growing too and really adding a beautiful bright spot to an otherwise slowing garden. I will have to remember that for next year and plant a bunch more :)

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

It's from a few years ago, but one of my favorites.
    This year my daughter grew some very large pumpkins. Going to pick them this weekend.

From My Kids in the Garden

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I loved this picture the first time I saw it! Looks like it belongs in Better Homes and Gardens!! I love pumpkins and have grown many different ones myself although not for a few years since I have filled the big vegie garden with flowers....:/ What are the big green ones? They are so interesting looking?

Each year I do Halloween decor in a big way although my pumpkins now are artificial for the most part. Smashing pumpkins is sometimes a Halloween trick and not a musical band around here...:(

CTC ~ It amazes me how you get so much into that tiny yard! I love it! And I need pics from your little yard cause it is just such an awesome garden space! I'll post pics of my kiddy friendly Halloweeny yard just for the kids; big ones included! :)

Ginny

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SQUEEEEEEEE!!! Gottagarden, that just made my night!! WOOOHOOO! LOL
    That is a great picture and I love those huge green ones so much!! I also am going to see if I can get ahold of some of those teensy white pumpkins and train on my chain -link fence next year because they're so cute.
    Honalee, yes!! PIcs, pics, pics, pics, pics!!!!
    I was going to make a post with my cosmos, hydrangea, and blue lace delphinium that rebloomed...and then the rain knocked it over and broke the delphinium. Darn it!! Lol. I meant to buy mums to fallify my garden, but have nowhere to plant when I'm done, so holding off for now :)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County