Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

I've been working in the roses

organic_kitten
12 years ago

I retired at the end of last month, and I have been working in the yard and gardens ever since. Right noww, I am setting posts and supports for the rose garden I planted surely it wasn't just spring of 2010!

I added to the garden this spring and the roses needed support: Here are four of the posts I set today:

Here is how these two sets will look with both pieces of rebar in place: That is Polka that has some support now:

And this is a long shot of the main rose area (Most of the hybrid teas further past these shots:

And here is a vase of roses I cut today, mostly hybrid teas:

kay

Comments (11)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Organic Kitten, it looks wonderful! What are your posts made of? I ask because our fence guy left me some wonderful metal poles. I want to find caps for them, and paint them. Idealy, I'd like to attach them inside the fence for rose swagging. But there are holes involved in that procedure. Holes and metal.
    Are your poles metal or wood?

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My poles are wood. Common fence posts, some of them are crooked I use a regular wood (spade) bit to make holes a little larger than the rebar supports. The rebar goes all the way through the post then into and through the nest post.

You said you had metal posts. I use metal fence posts (the sort for a chain link fence) for birdhouse mounts: Spray paint the fence post the desired color. There are mounts you can buy various places (Wild Birds Unlimited, Best Nest)that consist of a metal plate with a screw holes and underneath the plate, a hollow metal tube that about 4 to 6 inches long, that plate can be attached to the bottom of a bird house, and the tube will insert into the top of the fence post.

kay

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

That is really pretty, Kay!! What a fun project- that is going to be such a great sight as it fills in, also. :)

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, CTC,
    I'm not exactly sure fun is the right word...but I am very pleased with the effect and I have been very worried that my Sombreuil needed some support before it became the huge bush it will be... will invest in a long rebar piece, paint it and insert it low on the arbor...it will work until it is tall enough to reach the upper support.

kay

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Lol. I guess I'm thinking "fun" as opposed to mopping or other chores not involving sunshine and dirt.
    On a completely random note, your title works well to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad" ...and I was amusing myself trying to come up with extra lyrics
    "I've been working on my roses, all the live-long day..
    I've been working on my roses and hope the beetles stay away
    Can't you see the blooms unfolding?
    As I photograph so early in the morning?
    Can't you hear the neighbors saying..
    (This is where I get stuck..."Why doesn't she just grow corn?)
    Anyway, let me go make myself useful ;)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

You seriously need your own spot on live TV Ariel!!! As per usual, you keep me laughing and I'm sure I am not the only one you entertain!

Seems "thorn" would just logically fit in here, don't you think?,

Kay ~ Those green fences look awesome!!! Of course, the roses are beautiful!! I am jealous! :)

Ginny

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Kay - your bird house pole idea is great. We have about 10 poles and they are much bigger in diameter than yours are. I think they held up an industrial black chain link fence, and are about 10' tall. I'll have to look at those mounts!

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

I really like your hybrid tea roses. Alas, they are so not hardy where I live...
    And what is the name of the green paint that you have on the shed and fence?

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, CTC, (Ariel, is it?) I would rather be working in the yard than the house anytime, so in that light it is fun.

You are so much fun with your stories and rhymes. And Ginny, you are right with the "thorn"...How bout this Ariel, "It'd serve her right to get stuck in the thorns!"

Girlgroupgirl, I'm sure the fence post would work for you...a good use for something that might otherwise just be in the way, and who couldn't use a few more birdhouses around. They just belong in the garden, don't they?

Thanks, Adrienne, the paint is called "Boughs of Pine", and it is a Valspar paint from Lowe's. I have really enjoyed the colors on the shed. One sweet lady actually stopped to find out what the colors were so she could have her house painted those colors! I am sorry you can't grow the hybrid tea roses, because they are lovely in a vase. But you can probably grow the lupines and the delphiniums I lust over that won't grow in my heat.

I really appreciate you looking and all of your comments on my post.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

The rose arrangement is glorious.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

I liked the boughs of pine, so I painted my fence that color. Thanks for showing it to us.

Sponsored